Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I`ve been in business for almost 5 years now and my prices are the same as day 1. Maybe it`s the competition in my area but charging more than $25.00 a room will set me up on a date with my couch really fast. It seems like price is the most important thing on peoples mind and the first question asked.

I believe I have a nice website, company image, great reviews, nice cube van wrap, uniform, good equipment and overall image.

I can still have some good days but I was pulling in more money in the 90`s (working for fly by night companies).

How do you guys get away charging so much? Where do you find these people that are willing to spend hundreds on carpet cleaning?

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Good question. I keep running into the people who have NEVER gotten their carpets cleaned.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I`ve been in business for almost 5 years now and my prices are the same as day 1. Maybe it`s the competition in my area but charging more than $25.00 a room will set me up on a date with my couch really fast. It seems like price is the most important thing on peoples mind and the first question asked.

I believe I have a nice website, company image, great reviews, nice cube van wrap, uniform, good equipment and overall image.

I can still have some good days but I was pulling in more money in the 90`s (working for fly by night companies).

How do you guys get away charging so much? Where do you find these people that are willing to spend hundreds on carpet cleaning?
Not a matter of "where" as much as it is, "how". It takes a while to build yer brand but it's very important to convey quality in any ad you do.
Never quote pricing. Always address quality and attention to detail.
It's always a good idea to let them know that you are going to take care of their home.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
You need to find those rich fuqs, like @Blacktiedetailing has. Btw, get ripped, convert that keg into a sixpack. If they question you, flex a pec..

Reactions: earl804

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States

Who am i ... I dont know everything.
But i want to ask you this one question.

Do you think you are worth more money than the next guy ? If your answer is anything less than HELL YES some of it may have to do with how you see yourself.
Im not discounting the populice in the area that maybe broke ... but ... A lot of times it can all be in your head.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering

YOU NEED to start learning about sales. The more I learn, the more I realize I have been going off of my looks and personality.

Second is setting yourself apart from competition. What can you do to be completely different to fascinate and wow your customers?

Start reading A LOT. Rededicate your self to learning about this stuff.

Reactions: Sterling

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I feel your pain, Ryan. Seriously. I've been there and work with tons of cleaners who are in exactly your situation. Let's focus on just one of your questions:
... It seems like price is the most important thing on peoples mind and the first question asked... How do you guys get away charging so much? Where do you find these people that are willing to spend hundreds on carpet cleaning?
Listen carefully here. Assuming you are marketing your services correctly, Ryan, (and it sounds like you are) then the vast majority of your first time callers that ask about price bring it up simply because they don't know what else to ask about!

Think about it. Everyone wants to feel "in control" with an unknown cleaner so they ask you "how much?" (Nobody wants to say, "Take me- I'm yours!") :)

So Ryan, please download this free Phone Script and test it by following it word for word to book pre-inspections on first time callers. (Or modify it slightly to quote prices over the phone.) The VBQ/ROI principle does work.

Steve

PS A great way to "find these people that are willing to spend hundreds on carpet cleaning" is to go door to door. Seriously. And HERE is a low stress, very simple way to do it. I even give you a simple script. So why not try it? As Chuck Violand always says, "The hardest door to make it through is your own."

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Gotta start doing some problem solving @Sterling , this is part of owning a business. Cant subcontract out critical thinking to other people.

Get 2 pieces of paper, label 1 lead scoring, label 2 sales process.

1. First list your monthly $$ budget and hours you will dedicate.
Then list all your current lead sources and potential ones.
-- google organic
---adwords carpet
-- referral customers
-- coupon mailers
-- etc

In each one list -- cost per lead- roi- competitiveness- gross leads- total cost month in $$ or hours
Might not know some answers until you try them

Every one start somewhere....

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
callers that ask about price bring it up simply because they don't know what else to ask about!
Gospel! This is something that everyone here needs to write up on the board where they answer their business calls.
Prospects default to the question of price often simply because they don't know relevant questions to ask.
If you don't understand the psychology of yer client base, you've already got one foot in the grave

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Yes but before you get to the sales process think about where these leads are coming from in the first place.

Craigslist people are going to be far more price sensitive then a referral from a customer.

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary

Very very easy... & not as complicated or complex as you may assume.

#1. Make sure you are truly & genuinely WORTHY of serving upper end clients (as previously stated)

#2. Ask yourself "who else has My clients"?... and start fuq'n with THEM.

During the recession when Realtors were dropping like flies, I built relationships with real estate STAGERS & interior designers. Made more money during that recession era than ever before.

It was easy.

Go into the area of your target market & build relationships, position yourself as an authority & have a GENUINE & SINCERE interest in bettering the lives of those you serve.

'6

#Networking
#TrustedAdvisor
#IndustryAuthority

P.S.
One thing about positioning yourself as an "authority"... it's best to leapfrog over the pack & self anoint yourself. You don't need this industry approval or the approval of the oligarchy class to say when you are. Put in the work, time & commitment & YOU determine when you are - tug your nutz then Go For It!

Last edited:

SunnyDays Carpet Cleaning

Aug 23, 2014
Real Name
David Dubois

Up selling. And I been raising my prices $5 per year, it really didn't make impact on my customers. Just weeds out some of the cheepo's.

Reactions: Ryankettering

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
All my big spenders come from craigslist...honestly i have 500 dollar jobs from their all the time.... its exactly the opposite of what i expected....sure i get some cheapos calling too but they almost never book...

Reactions: shane deubell

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
All my big spenders come from craigslist...honestly i have 500 dollar jobs from their all the time.... its exactly the opposite of what i expected....sure i get some cheapos calling too but they almost never book...
What else are you doing to compare that with and how much are you spending a month?

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Yeah john, we have to test.

Craigslist works out great for some people. Its free so why not try it.

rico

Apr 22, 2012
Real Name
Ricardo
Business Location
United States
I love reading threads like this one. Lots of valuable information, unpretentious members who know what they are talking about. Love it!!!

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Yeah john, we have to test.

Craigslist works out great for some people. Its free so why not try it.
Great to try. The 2 problems I see with it is
1) in big market it will be price shoppers mostly
2) in small market there wouldn't be enough volume to matter.

It might actually work better if I gave them financing on the carpet cleaning with no credit check ;) that could work... But seems you would be tripping over penny's