When your world gets rocked....

ACD

Jan 12, 2009
Rockland, Maine
Real Name
Aaron Dinsmore
Business Location
United States
The day started out OK, aside from the dump being closed and being unable to unload some wet insulation from one of my vans. So I tossed it behind the shop to take later, loaded up the desiccant
dehu's and headed for my newest water damage now well into the structure drying. The phone rings. It's my aunt and she informs me that my mother was in a head on collision with a truck on a section of road that's posted 55 mph. They we're taking her to EMMC and that they had to cut the car away from her to get her out. No further info was available.

For all the excuses work comes up with for us as to why we have to miss this and that it amazed me how quick it was to drop everything and head the 2 hours to the hospital. Called my wife, called my partner, met my partner to give over the equipment, called my brother (on a ship in the Gulf of Mexico) and just flat headed north.

My dad did the same, he was operating the ferry at the time of the call and when he got it to the dock he just left her there idling, waiting for the relief Cpt. to arrive.

So the good news, Mom was alert, and to all appearances unscathed. No bruising, cuts, or internal injuries. The bad news is she fractured her neck in two places. No paralysis and out look is good. She will be in a neck brace for at least 6 weeks. After a bit Dad asked if I would help him clean out Mom's car at the impound yard as it was totaled and it's about to snow. So we went over to retrieve her stuff. I can't believe how lucky she was. The folks at the towing company were sure the driver of that car had died and were amazed. When we got back I got to see my mom walk get out of bed and walk down the hall for the physical therapist. She goes home tom. I thank God for my mother's life and I might just send the engineers at Chrysler a thank you too. That car hit a 2006 Chevy 4500 rack body truck, both vehicles going 55 mph. The truck driver was unharmed so far but the truck is likely totaled as well.

Call your mothers. All of you. You never know.

Aaron

Mick Ellis

Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Real Name
M Ellis
Business Location
Australia
Aaron i can only imagine the stress you and all your family went through.
Thank God she is ok and that you are all safe, considering the rush you went through to be by her side.
Tell those close to you every day that you love them. It may be too late tomorrow.

Mick

Sep 22, 2009
North, GA
Real Name
Randy Francis
Business Location
United States
I am glad you mom is ok. Take it from me, lost my mother to cancer six years ago You will not know how much she means until she is gone. Take care of your mothers GENTLEMEN. Lost mine and when I think about sometimes I break down crying because I really miss this woman.

ACD

Jan 12, 2009
Rockland, Maine
Real Name
Aaron Dinsmore
Business Location
United States
Randy I hear you. It took me several minutes to tell my wife what happened. She thought "I" was in a wreck I was so upset. At the time I had no idea how bad my Mom was or wasn't only that she hit a truck head on at 55 mph.

Update. My mother crossed the center line. She thinks she fell asleep. She feels horrible about the guy she hit and has called him to say how sorry she is. My mother hasn't had an accident since 1973 when she hit a deer. The background is my grandmother is very ill. Long term congestive heart failure. My Mom and my aunt and a visiting nurse have been sharing care for her. My mother and aunt trade nights and the nurse covers during the day. My Mom is a teacher and the load has been wearing on her. She had an appointment that day early in the morning and well it caught up with her. Mom is home now. She is actually with my aunts, and all of them are with my grandmother. Gram is not expected to last the weekend. So overall this year is starting pretty rough for us. Thank you all for your well wishes.

Aaron

Rafa-L

Oct 18, 2008
Wilmington, DE
Real Name
Rafael
Business Location
United States
hey Aaron glad to hear things are good for mom. Sorry to hear of grandmother.
One thing I noticed in your post....the mention of thanking God. IF nothing else, ALWAYS take time to show your appreciation for the angels God sent to cover your mother. From this experience always sacrifice time in prayer, fasting and studying his WORD and learn of him. This will truly get HIS attention for your time of need.

One never knows one day to the next.......it's better to be prayed up in time of need then to scramble around for help when a relationship has not been nurtured nor developed. It's always better to be covered with an insurance policy in the worst of times then not having any insurance in the best of times........been there done that....it stinks.

Jarrod E

Aug 14, 2009
Australia
Real Name
Jarrod Elliott
Business Location
Australia
Aaron, Ive had that same call mate, even though your Mom came out in good health still does not make that stressful feeling go away, hope everything returns to normal and your Mom is as good as new in no time.

AllCleanExtreme

Jul 15, 2008
UTAH
www.allcleanextreme.com
Real Name
Justin
Business Location
United States
Man, glad to hear she is ok,,,,,,,,, we all at times get wrapped up in stuff and can forget just how important family is......... so before you head out the door or the wife heads out just give them a hug and kiss........... life is way to short. enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!

one nasty looking pic, I would have thought the same thing as the tow truck driver............

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
WOW!! I wish your mom a well recovery, You are blessed to have her. You be good to her. :)
You are right call your mom cause you never know

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
So glad to hear that your mother is going to be OK.

I had a similar call Saturday. A car occupied by 4 of my friends hit by a tow truck driver who was using cell phone while driving and got distracted. Glad to report all have been rleased from the hospital, but one has neck injuries and will be in rehab and wearing a brace for a while.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Very glad to hear your mom is ok, tell her she needs to be more careful from now on! I just had a perfectly healthy uncle pass away a few weeks ago from some sort of instant and deadly leukemia. He was never sick a day in his life, then boom, three weeks. Life can change in an instant and none of us should ever take it for granted, every day is a gift and we should use it to it's fullest.

owenscott

Aug 6, 2009
Friggin Cold Upstate NY
Real Name
Stop snoopin u homo
Business Location
United States
I know your mom is sorry but never and i mean never never never never call up and say sorry. Your mom can feel sorry later and have more of her money to do it with. You need to tell her not to do that again. NO FURTHER CONTACT WITH OTHER DRIVER AT ALL.The difference between "i'm sorry" and feeling sorry but not saying could mean all her life savings, losing her house, getting a judgment against her .. tell her not to say another thing again. PERIOD.

It is a terrible litigious society we live in but until the lawyers go away saying sorry cannot be done till the suits have been settled and (im missing the correct term here) discharge of all liabilities have been settled.

Secondly we dont know if the cops did the paperwork right and may not have been your mothers fault ... all this can be settled after the paperwork listed above is signed is done.

If that car is what i think it is ... LHS? anyways i saw the same thing ... other guy died but the couple in the Chrysler was fine.

NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU PARANOID ABOUT THE LAW SUIT OR ANYTHING.
Most people will settle or accept insurance payment ..... maybe 90+% of the time without going after the house but the other 10% of the people will make you cry from the bull**** they try to do.

God Bless.

ACD

Jan 12, 2009
Rockland, Maine
Real Name
Aaron Dinsmore
Business Location
United States
The police report is clear Owen. It's her fault. What will be will be. They have "significant" insurance and lawyers. But you are of course correct. The car was a 2002 Chrysler 300M. It was a great car and very fun to drive. Dad is going to replace it with 2010 Buick Lacrosse CSX. Mom is doing well. She has spent every hour at my grandmothers since the accident with my aunt and other family members. I am sorry to say that my grandmother passed away tonight. She was 79 years old and meant a lot to me. I am glad she is no longer suffering and that my mother and aunt can lay her to rest and begin the long process of carrying on with life without her. I have had months to come to terms with my grandmothers passing. Almost losing my mother in an instant really threw me for a loop.

One odd thing. When dad and I were cleaning out the car I found a St. Christopher's medal with the motorists prayer on it next to the drivers seat. It had to have been in the car at the time of the wreck as it was damaged. She didn't know where it came from.

Aaron

Jeffdzr

Jan 24, 2009
Lexington,SC
www.prestigesystmes.net
Real Name
Jeff Ingold
Business Location
United States
glad moms ok, remeber that people will understand and work will always be there, We as independant carpet cleaners take the b iggest risk of all, we started are own buisnesses and nobody said it would be easy. Hang in there, situations araise and in my book family comes first, buisness seconed, you can make all the money in the world , but if you dont have family, who are you going to share it with. Family is there for you through goo dtimes and bad times. My sister in law helped me out when I first started my buisness, and when we had not jobs, she put food on the table, we know how to get in the trenches and make money, thats what we do, but time for loved ones and family we can't make. Take time to be with you mother, I lost mine mother 25 years ago, and my dad 5 years ago, and I wish i could have another day with them, dont let buisness get in the way. Soon she will be up and adam, and you will be right back to work, but for now be with your mom.