When do you know it's time to buy a second truck ? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

When do you know it's time to buy a second truck ?

andrek60

May 4, 2011
So as some of you know, I just hired my first employee and we are working 7 days a week. I put him on four to five days and I take the rest. So far it seems like I don't make nearly the same money as I did when it was just me working 5 to 6 days a week. So I need to expand. I do book about 25 jobs a week often and lately with increased marketing I am I'm able to book 30-32 and end up giving several a week away to other companies. I was thinking of buying a used second truckmount so I can take the Overflow and work the other van and then hire second guy. But I'm afraid of getting another van and wasting the money and having it just sit there and barely making enough to pay the overhead on it. I also have the opportunity to hire a second guy who I've heard is good at selling additional services and Scotchgard. And maybe if I stay back and look for more business instead of running the second van or working 2-3 days a week, it will quickly grow to having 2 vans run full time. Anyone who grew from one van owner operator into a successful three to four trucks have any opinions or suggestions?

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Good problem to have! I read somewhere that the transition from solo to first employee, and then to second vehicle are the hardest but if you can push through you're on your way to a great multi-truck company.
I think JonDon secrets for success (SFS) talks about this, and of course there are business classes you can take.
Good luck brother

andrek60

May 4, 2011
Thanks. Honestly right now I feel like I'm in the water all the sudden just having learned to swim. I know what to do and how to do it, but I'm still scared shitless. Maybe it's because years ago I did janitorial and did have 5 employees at one time, but it was easier as I didn't have to spend thousands on equipment for each one, and still it was a pain in the rear. I have just burned out working 20-25 jobs a week on my own finally and know I can't continue that forever. Also, seams like I'm better then most in the office answering phones and doing marketing.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Even if you don't have an employee you need a second truck like yesterday. Having that many jobs per week what will you ever do if the van or truckmount goes down and needs a major repair that will take a week to do.

You need a backup truck and you have the work to support it. If you have an employee then put him on the truck. If you get to where you are each doing 4 jobs a day then it's time for truck 3 as a backup truck.

Reactions: alexus

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
So as some of you know, I just hired my first employee and we are working 7 days a week. I put him on four to five days and I take the rest. So far it seems like I don't make nearly the same money as I did when it was just me working 5 to 6 days a week. So I need to expand. I do book about 25 jobs a week often and lately with increased marketing I am I'm able to book 30-32 and end up giving several a week away to other companies. I was thinking of buying a used second truckmount so I can take the Overflow and work the other van and then hire second guy. But I'm afraid of getting another van and wasting the money and having it just sit there and barely making enough to pay the overhead on it. I also have the opportunity to hire a second guy who I've heard is good at selling additional services and Scotchgard. And maybe if I stay back and look for more business instead of running the second van or working 2-3 days a week, it will quickly grow to having 2 vans run full time. Anyone who grew from one van owner operator into a successful three to four trucks have any opinions or suggestions?
Can't comment on perfect timing for an expansion, but I have seen many great salesman come and go. Why? Most of them outgrow their purpose in the
company very quickly. Try to work smarter, not harder. Before I jump to multi truck operation, I would try to optimize current work load and stay on day to day operation before I let go of reins for vision of greener buck. Idea of 2 employees before you get to know what is the first one about, is pure nonsense.Im sure you have done triplets:
cleaning hardwood floors, carpeting
and t&g. Now imagine mixing it up before finishing all the proper steps for each of the task. It would be chaotic and outcome wouldn't be pretty....

andrek60

May 4, 2011
Even if you don't have an employee you need a second truck like yesterday. Having that many jobs per week what will you ever do if the van or truckmount goes down and needs a major repair that will take a week to do.

You need a backup truck and you have the work to support it. If you have an employee then put him on the truck. If you get to where you are each doing 4 jobs a day then it's time for truck 3 as a backup truck.
yeah, good point

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
Is your current truck a dual wand set up? I think a dual wand machine could really pump out the production with you, a tech and a helper. You can answer the phones, supervise and clean as needed. Then when that truck is too busy transition to another truck with a tech and helper on each truck. By then both of your first employees should be trained to do it the way you want and capable of running the jobs. Then you could get a 3rd truck to manage overflow and do bidding etc.

powerhouse_cc

Feb 15, 2017
Real Name
Jeff farmer
I’m about to get a second van. I currently have a tm in a Nissan NV high roof. I already have a portable and just bought the external propane heater for it. I’m buying a used transit for about $4-5k the guy I will hire has work experience doing restoration and will be able to talk to insurance adjuster and also do vct stripping and waxing my biggest question is what do I pay this guy?

andrek60

May 4, 2011
I’m about to get a second van. I currently have a tm in a Nissan NV high roof. I already have a portable and just bought the external propane heater for it. I’m buying a used transit for about $4-5k the guy I will hire has work experience doing restoration and will be able to talk to insurance adjuster and also do vct stripping and waxing my biggest question is what do I pay this guy?
idk, I'm paying my guy 20% of all sales and more if he brings in over $800 per day

powerhouse_cc

Feb 15, 2017
Real Name
Jeff farmer
I’m not sure what to pay him. In California minimum wage is already high plus having to pay obviously more than minimum wage to have a competitive edge.