Whats your thoughts on the accuracy of ATP testing? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Whats your thoughts on the accuracy of ATP testing?

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Bradford Hall
Does anybody do their own bacteria testing for sewage or category 3 jobs? I'm curious as I've been in the business thirteen years, but have only ever see bacteria testing covered three times. Up until recently, I've had an inspector test for sewage (When customer wants to pay for it) and they use something called an ATP scanner that gives results in the field immediately. I haven't been able to locate conclusive results regarding the accuracy of this unit and wanted to know if anybody else has experience with it? Ultimately, I'd like to know if the ATP testing would stand up in court.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If you do research on hospital acquired infections and ATP testing you get ambiguous results.

My takeaway is while ATP testing would give some idea as to the efficacy of treatment, if you want 100% certainty then probably samples sent to an independent laboratory would be most likely to stand up in court.

Ecolab reported that ATP tests gave a false positive on laundered microfiber cleaning rags.

This article is pretty thorough; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4062432/

Conclusion "In summary, these results suggest that ATP meters cannot be relied upon to evaluate the effective disinfection of a healthcare surface and in particular, cannot be used as a tool to compare the effectiveness of disinfection between different disinfectants"

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
We like havin a third party involved it removes conflict of interest if you’re doing the work and also transfers the liability when dealing with reports and protocol