What's your thoughts on door hose reels?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Trying to maximize space in my new Nissan NV. Thinking about using door reels. Anyone run door reels, have pics and any suggestions of how to run them? I am a fan of live solution reels also.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Single or dual wand setup?

The problem I have with door reels is that it is difficult to secure the door in the right position for un-reeling.
Dual wand Bob.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
@rob allen

Negatives that will need to be addressed to successfully mount a live solution line on a door.

Swinging door while unrolling presenting challenges to tech........, swinging door in the wind with 2-3 x the weight on the door with a reel and hose to cause damage when impact with tech, bystanders, trees, fire hydrants, light posts, and the side of van if it overextends the hinges.

Extra weight on hinges on the door that they are NOT designed for will cause sagging over time..

When tech unwind it will rub the paint on the door removing paint and rust protection.

If this is a demo vehicle, here in the midwest and other colder climates, a solution line directly up against a door or any exterior wall of the van risks freezing before you get to the job in winter months. The vans heater simply will not be able to supply enough heat to keep the portion of the hose directly against the door of the van from freezing. The lines will also begin to freeze if they are on the doors and the doors are open with temp at or below 20 degrees with wind blowing

Those are the obvious first order concerns you would need to address before considering putting a heavy solution line on your door.

I would suggest narrower and wider reels mounted at the back door on the floor. You are NOT going to gain but perhaps 2 or 3 inches by using a door reel as you still have to allow that space needed for them to close into the van. You still can not push your main reel back with the door mounted hose. It has to go somewhere when you close your doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob allen

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Since we are set up for dual wands in both of our truckmounts, this is how we manage the hoses.

No live solution reel:

The solution reel contains 2 -100' 1/4" solution steam lines, each with a shut-off valve at the end that goes to the wand. Take the first set in (vac hose and steam line) and connect to the wand and then to the machine. Take the second set in and connect the same way.

The vac hose reel has 2 sets of hoses. The first set is 100' plus a 25' section of 2" hose that connects to the wand. This 25' section of 2" vac hose is a lighter gauge vac hose so it is more cooperative at the wand. The second set of vac/solution hoses are identical to the first set. We run 2" hose to the wand and use a 2" X 1.5" hose cuff if we are using a 1.5" wand, or a 2" cuff when using the Zipper-SS or 2" wand.

There are extra sections of vac hose and steam line in the van to reach the van from the hose that went inside when necessary. These are available in 25' and 50' sections to add on when needed.

We run each set of vac hose and steam line in together all at once, but they are not connected together with straps or ties. Lastly we put out the 3/4" garden hose for the APO.

We use the new magnetic corner guards.

We have a 100' fresh water hose on a reel above the solution reel, and extra 50' water hose hanging on the side wall of the van for when we need it.

We carry dual fresh tanks to even out the weight in the van from all of the water - a 100 gallon over the wheel well on one side and a 45 gallon on the other side where the LP heater also resides (240 lbs.).

Both vans have an onboard water softener. We carry 4 wands and 2 upholstery tools in each van so we have backups if necessary. We have chemicals in quart containers and not gallons to conserve space.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Matt and Bob you both make great points. I am contacting Duane with Reel Innovations and giving him y’all’s information. The only disadvantage with my Nissan NV’s is there are no extended versions available. So space is a big premium and I gotta save it where I can.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Matt and Bob you both make great points. I am contacting Duane with Reel Innovations and giving him y’all’s information. The only disadvantage with my Nissan NV’s is there are no extended versions available. So space is a big premium and I gotta save it where I can.
can you go vertical??????????

Mount the vacuum hose main reel on stilts, then mount solution and freshwater lines under the main reel. That way you can mount everything all the way to the back flush with the back door giving you maximum room. There should be enough height with the taller extension on your NV........................Just a thought.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Did you build the truck mount too big.........LOL???
Not really. About same size as any big machine I just value as much space as possible for diverse services. Funny tho.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Mount the vacuum hose main reel on stilts, then mount solution and freshwater lines under the main reel. That way you can mount everything all the way to the back flush with the back door giving you maximum room. There should be enough height with the taller extension on your NV........................Just a thought.
I'm passing all the points here to Duane with Reel Innovations.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States

I did something similar when I had my Hi top Sprinter, had a platform built to mount the hose reel on and put a 12 gallon fuel cell under the hose reel.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I never; ever; would have chosen this layout... but adapting has been the best thing I could have ever done. Flipped the vac reel and solution reel out the back from the way it came to me and mounted the freshwater reel on top on the chem shelf as well. The pussy ass electric hose reel was a bonus mounted so deep in the van. I don't climb in for anything including the portable I use on half of my jobs. Best layout I've had so far.

20191113_162607.jpg

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I never; ever; would have chosen this layout... but adapting has been the best thing I could have ever done. Flipped the vac reel and solution reel out the back from the way it came to me and mounted the freshwater reel on top on the chem shelf as well. The pussy ass electric hose reel was a bonus mounted so deep in the van. I don't climb in for anything including the portable I use on half of my jobs. Best layout I've had so far.

View attachment 88119
How often does someone sit in the seat between the hose reels?

Reactions: Prestigecarpetclean

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
How often does someone sit in the seat between the hose reels?

Haha! Never since I have owned this rig. That seat has been a Godsend for storing the portable semi upright and secure, storage underneath and a killer wand holder. It's staying right where it is!

• Haha
Reactions: Spazznout

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I'm trying to understand how mounting the reel to the door would save you any space. You still have to close the door so you'll need about the same amount of space cleared in the doorway for the reel then the door is closed as you would if the reel was mounted in the van. I could see issues that someone is going to misjudge how mu space is needed for the reel when closing the door, they're going to be in a hurry and swing it closed hard and damage something.

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
We used to use door reels for our water hose, but eventually all the door slamming/closing just rips the bolts through the metal and it falls off or starts sagging. Great space saving spot if you can enforce it really well.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Haha! Never since I have owned this rig. That seat has been a Godsend for storing the portable semi upright and secure, storage underneath and a killer wand holder. It's staying right where it is!
Oddest seat placement I have ever seen for sure. But effective I suppose.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'm trying to understand how mounting the reel to the door would save you any space. You still have to close the door so you'll need about the same amount of space cleared in the doorway for the reel then the door is closed as you would if the reel was mounted in the van. I could see issues that someone is going to misjudge how mu space is needed for the reel when closing the door, they're going to be in a hurry and swing it closed hard and damage something.
Just brainstorming.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The NV has those big steel cross members on the ceiling inside, possibly mount the vac reel upside down which will give a ton of space underneath it? With the height you could have easily fresh and solution reels underneath sitting on top of a storage drawer