whats your opinion?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
inflation and supply chain problems are causing prices to rise.

People are reevaluating their priorities since Covid hit and are starting new businesses.

So which of the following do you think will happen in the future?

1. More cleaners will go out of business because more people will not be able to afford the service

2. More people will start a carpet cleaning business because they feel that it is a step up from what they were doing before

Darthmaeglin

Oct 16, 2020
Real Name
Ben Kelley
The two can happen together. Some cleaners throw in the towel because people aren't spending the money on carpet cleaning. They try to salvage what they can by selling their equipment on CL, Ebay, etc. New cleaners pop up using equipment they got cheap off CL, Ebay, etc. and sell themselves for cheap because they don't know how to price themselves. They might even carve out a niche in customers that don't understand how to evaluate a cleaner but know this new guy charges less. Most burn out quickly and flip the equipment even cheaper and the ripple goes on a little while.

Reactions: luckyduckcleaners

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
The two can happen together.
i get that. in my area for as long as I can remember, 10% of the carpet cleaners go out of business and 10% are start one so over the years there have been about the same number of carpet cleaners.

So I guess my question was do you think that current events will accelerate one over the other?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
i get that. in my area for as long as I can remember, 10% of the carpet cleaners go out of business and 10% are start one so over the years there have been about the same number of carpet cleaners.

So I guess my question was do you think that current events will accelerate one over the other?
I've seen several start ups over the years. Almost all went out of business fairly quickly. Couldn't take the heat so they got out of the kitchen I guess. I'm getting to be one of the last in my area. One cleaner in business longer than me and about my age died suddenly in July, non Covid related. Another long time cleaner completely went out of business due to equipment failure and just wasn't willing to spend the money to fix their Blue Baron. At least that is what I heard from one or two of his past customers. Those both were just last summer. It is getting to where Stanley Steemer is about my only competition and that is for a large section of the Missouri Bootheel encompassing several counties that I service. I think nationally a lot more than 10% will go under or just quit after a year or two even though there is far more help available now than when I got started. There was virtually ZERO help of any kind back then.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I say number 1.
More people will go out of business. Unless your established today it's very hard to make it.

Back when I started about 25 years ago there were many carpet cleaners in my area.

The Yellow Pages had 4-5 pages full of Carpet cleaners. Remember the Yellow Pages ???

Now 25 years later I'm still going strong and 99% of the carpet cleaners are gone and so are the Yellow Pages.

If the Yellow Pages were still around today there would probably only be one page of carpet cleaners.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
inflation and supply chain problems are causing prices to rise.
People are reevaluating their priorities since Covid hit and are starting new businesses.
So which of the following do you think will happen in the future?
1. More cleaners will go out of business because more people will not be able to afford the service
2. More people will start a carpet cleaning business because they feel that it is a step up from what they were doing before