whats your minimum on a small janitorial cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

whats your minimum on a small janitorial cleaning

Daniel -Luxu

Jun 22, 2015
Real Name
Daniel
wondering whats an average minimum on a small 1000 squar feet janitorial account...

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
We are getting abt 28 cents a square foot. Monthly. I then divide that amount by the times cleaned per week if it's a little low. Go to .35 cents.

Reactions: Dewitt

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I think I'm the only one here that doesn't subscribe to sq'. It's a nice guide line, but for janitorial sq' is only part of the equation. What about what's on the walls? Pictures that need dusting, paint that needs cleaning, light switches with finger prints, windows.... etc. How about those big ass desks with vertical shelving or the law office with 992 book shelves? Sq' doesn't account for that.

Reactions: Ray Thomas

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
If you want to be competitive in pricing(which is what matters) it will be purely sq footage. My price at .28sq is not figured by floor work it's a conglomerate of work broken down into sqftg. Also not all accts will be the same price. All accts we build an individual process . 25 years in janitorial here.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpotlessMiracle

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
If you want to be competitive in pricing(which is what matters) it will be purely sq footage. My price at .28sq is not figured by floor work it's a conglomerate of work broken down into sqftg. Also not all accts will be the same price. All accts we build an individual process . 25 years in janitorial here.
Competitive = lowest price?

There's more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to arrive a price competitive or otherwise.

Reactions: SpotlessMiracle

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Not trying to be competitive. Valuable and profit, yes.

Looking to add value to our customers and an acceptable profit margin for our company.

Your minimum needs to cover your costs to service and manage the account and cover your equipment and supply costs plus a profit margin to sustain your business.

Only you will know these figures.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
We do an estimate with a 2 week trial and then adjust the pricing. Square foot pricing is good for a baseline but it all depends.
Two of the accounts we have we supply a walk behind and do the floors every night. That makes the price go up. We also put an hourly "stop" on the accounts so if the place is extra dirty; we add hours to the bill.
Most of our work is eye level down. I think we average out at 28.65 / man hour. :)

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
We do an estimate with a 2 week trial and then adjust the pricing. Square foot pricing is good for a baseline but it all depends.
Two of the accounts we have we supply a walk behind and do the floors every night. That makes the price go up. We also put an hourly "stop" on the accounts so if the place is extra dirty; we add hours to the bill.
Most of our work is eye level down. I think we average out at 28.65 / man hour. :)
Marlan that's a really interesting way of doing business. Have you done that all along?

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
We kill it at our pricing... . Almost always there's an adjustment in price after the first period depending on condition. We run abt a 67 -70% margin. On all janitorial accts
X16 rt now. Also if ur not using sqfootage as a price guide there's no way u can accurately track ur sqftg price. Which is what I base my business strategy off of.
Profit stream percentages.

Reactions: crash1big

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Marlan that's a really interesting way of doing business. Have you done that all along?
Yes. We let the custy know about the trial and we try to beat the estimate every time.
The reason we put "stop" on the hours is because of some of the knuckle headed things employees do. More than once we showed up to a clogged toilet that over flowed and they left it for my crew to clean up. We call that a cat 3. We get paid good for that. We let them know that instead of calling in a plumber; we just take care of it, and it showes up on the bill.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
We kill it at our pricing... . Almost always there's an adjustment in price after the first period depending on condition. We run abt a 67 -70% margin. On all janitorial accts
X16 rt now. Also if ur not using sqfootage as a price guide there's no way u can accurately track ur sqftg price. Which is what I base my business strategy off of.
Profit stream percentages.
Why can't I track my rate by hour? You know it pretty much breaks down the same as sq'.

I've never had to adjust my price after a bid. It's always been profitable and I don't use sq'. No, I'm not going to compete with some people that can offer a lower price, but I don't want to. We offer high quality service and that's not done for free.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Yes. We let the custy know about the trial and we try to beat the estimate every time.
The reason we put "stop" on the hours is because of some of the knuckle headed things employees do. More than once we showed up to a clogged toilet that over flowed and they left it for my crew to clean up. We call that a cat 3. We get paid good for that. We let them know that instead of calling in a plumber; we just take care of it, and it showes up on the bill.
I see. I admit that we usually throw something like that in at no cost since it doesn't happen all the time. If an account for example exploded stuff in the microwave non-stop then we adjust the pricing on that. It's actually part of the contract/scope of work.

I'm just curios on how you track all those events for billing?

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
Do u just think that u can sell a customer on"im the best carpet cleaner in town" get out a here. Price service equipment all matters in pricing. I can kill my competition with price and quality bc we purchase good quality equipment, coupled with great job site attire, as well as experience in this industry from multiple angles. While maintaining a quality control process that has exceeded my own expectations. If u think ur the only good cleaning company on the market. You better wake up. This industry is becoming as vast as any.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Do u just think that u can sell a customer on"im the best carpet cleaner in town"
I do it every day every time. I do it in the ghetto and I do it in the high end. Every one pays the price when it has equal value. It us. It is our mentality that wee need to be cheap in order to be employed. No SQ Ft does not work for me in janitorial / cleaning servcices. time is king my clients love it.

Reactions: Jose Holguin

Cleaning Concierge

Jul 13, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Real Name
Barrett Wiley
Business Location
United States
Do u just think that u can sell a customer on"im the best carpet cleaner in town" get out a here. Price service equipment all matters in pricing. I can kill my competition with price and quality bc we purchase good quality equipment, coupled with great job site attire, as well as experience in this industry from multiple angles. While maintaining a quality control process that has exceeded my own expectations. If u think ur the only good cleaning company on the market. You better wake up. This industry is becoming as vast as any.
It's not about being the best in town. Only the best in that particular customer's eyes.

Whether hourly / Sq ft pricing, it better arrive at an acceptable profit margin. All pricing can be broken into a square foot number.

Man hours, equipment, supplies, supervision, training and overhead better be in the pricing structure.

We use JanBid software to bid and adjust the numbers make sense for us.

Superior contract

May 21, 2015
Real Name
Zack blanchard
I do it every day every time. I do it in the ghetto and I do it in the high end. Every one pays the price when it has equal value. It us. It is our mentality that wee need to be cheap in order to be employed. No SQ Ft does not work for me in janitorial / cleaning servcices. time is king my clients love it.
And you will run a tm for the rest of you life. I on the other hand have dominated the area market in janitorial for 20 years plus.
For the last 10 not laboring. So trust me El capitain my way is proven. Didn't say the only way. My price is surely not the lowest. It's the most service for the best price. If u bid this job on sq footage at .28 cents a Sq foot. U would be looking at 280 dollars per clean. Uhhh I'd say that's a money maker. We clean 7000sq at one 8x monthly. 3 guys=1.5 hours. At .28 x7000 I'm at 1960.
10hr guys x 3.5 =$$$$
My bids are not solely on sqfootage bt after years of this business we know what we need to charge to profit. That's y I said sqfootage works for us. Bc we have figured all the wiping and extras that go into having a good janitorial acct and crew. And have put the entire scope of work into a Sq footage price. Shit I'll break it down in hrs too bt the customer doesn't need to see that.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Yes I can. Reputation is king and ours is like a 799 credit score :p

Good quality equipment doesn't = good quality service.

Oh I know some of my competition is just as good as me. There's other ways to compete.

I'm just arguing that sq' isn't the only way to arrive at an effective price. You're fixed costs, ie equipment, insurance, employees can and probably is different than mine. I can account for those costs as well as you can either by sq' or hourly rate.