wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It actually turned out pretty good and the customer was very happy with the job. I went by and took a quick look at it. They've already moved a huge desk in the area where the adhesive was. I may try some of the suggestions offered next time, but the Goo Gone Gel worked reasonably well on this one, but was not exactly easy going.
20190108_131734.jpg
20190108_131802.jpg

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I had some tape residue on a CGD and I used citrus solv on it. Misted it on straight. Then agitated it with a 175 and I think a red pad, might have been green pad, then hit it with as much heat as I could muster. Most of it came out.

I wouldn't promise the customer that It will all come out. It gets down to the backing and anything that will take the glue out will also destroy the backing on the carpet and you will have delaminated carpet if you are not careful.
I let the Goo Gone Gel sit for quite a while while I was cleaning the other 2 rooms. I went over all of it slow with the Rotovac w/ the brush head and low pressure to keep my heat up. That definitely helped it come out better. I got it done, but it was a tough one. The carpet was insanely filthy too.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've had a few guys report tremendous success with New Energy, which is a blend of 2-bu, d-limonene, and mineral spirits. Can't claim that it works on ALL adhesives, mostly because we haven't tried it on all of them, lol, but so far the feedback has been excellent.

Gel Break or the 1-2 combo of Pro-Solv Gel and Power Gel are also popular treatments.
I checked out Pros Choice stain guide last night to see what they suggest. They do say in the guide on adhesives to use that Gooff ( pronounced GOO OFF)mentioned by @sbsscn above. I think I might call them to get confirmation on that though. Then they mentioned what you just said about the Pro-Solv Gel and Power Gel. I believe you mentioned once that Pro Solv Gel was mostly acetone right? I could be wrong, but it seemed this particular adhesive didn't respond to acetone which is what Goof Off mainly is with a few other ingredients. New Energy sounds promising. I'm wondering if this wasn't Gorilla tape or something.

CTI does say the Gooff they sell can be used on carpets. It's only sold in pints. They suggest applying to the adhesive residue, scrub a little and let dwell. Then use Power Gel and Pro Solv if needed.

Last edited:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I checked out Pros Choice stain guide last night to see what they suggest. They do say in the guide on adhesives to use that Goof mentioned by @sbsscn above. I think I might call them to get confirmation on that though. Then they mentioned what you just said about the Pro-Solv Gel and Power Gel. I believe you mentioned once that Pro Solv Gel was mostly acetone right? I could be wrong, but it seemed this particular adhesive didn't respond to acetone which is what Goof Off mainly is with a few other ingredients. New Energy sounds promising. I'm wondering if this wasn't Gorilla tape or something.
PSG is acetone, d-lim, and some surfactants. Power Gel is STPP, 2-bu, and d-lim, so if one doesn't work the other usually gets it. They kinda designed them so you're throwing EVERYTHING at the spot.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
PSG is acetone, d-lim, and some surfactants. Power Gel is STPP, 2-bu, and d-lim, so if one doesn't work the other usually gets it. They kinda designed them so you're throwing EVERYTHING at the spot.
I just talked to them and Todd there suggest using their product called Gooff first then use the PSG & PG if needed. I think they need to make at least a quart container instead of a pint though.

Gregory Stiel

May 20, 2017
Real Name
Gregory Stiel
Well. Their are a lot of good ideas here but I learned a trick from carpet installers years ago that has been my go to for adhesives. WD40. Go ahead and laugh. I did until I tried it. Just spray a light coat on and wait a few seconds lightly rub with a towel or scrap piece of carpet. Go easy. It takes very little.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Well. Their are a lot of good ideas here but I learned a trick from carpet installers years ago that has been my go to for adhesives. WD40. Go ahead and laugh. I did until I tried it. Just spray a light coat on and wait a few seconds lightly rub with a towel or scrap piece of carpet. Go easy. It takes very little.
It does work. Never tried on carpet. I use it to get dried old masking tape off. It liquifies dried crusty adhesive.

spod

Dec 5, 2013
I regularly do hallways in an apartment building 3 story.
3rd story has a bridge that connects the North and South buildings.
Anyway.
Last Summer contractor's we're working on the roof and they Duck Taped cardboard for about 300 feet on the entire 3rd floor.
So when I came to clean this I used Gel Spot by Esteam.
CRB scrubbing and HWE. About 500 feet from the Van.

Visual it looked good but I explained there's no way of knowing if any remained because only time will tell if left over residue will cause rapid re-soiling.
About a month later areas began to go dark.
So went back and again used Gel spot, CRB and this time RX 20 on the spots flushed it really good with the RX 20 for a long time on the area's and it worked.

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
Any one charge extra for tape removal? I dont unless its really bad. I hate when its on a wood floor like a basketball court! They always have tape & gum.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Any one charge extra for tape removal? I dont unless its really bad. I hate when its on a wood floor like a basketball court! They always have tape & gum.
It's really your call since you're the boss. Honestly I didn't charge near enough for my removal of the above residue. I haven't run into a bad tape residue in quite a few years. I charged them about 40 extra for the tape, but I should have gone higher. This was for a realtor who may give me more work in the future so hopefully, my generosity and hard work will be rewarded.

IMHO, anytime you are asked to do things that are over and above normal carpet cleaning you need to charge for it. I try to be reasonable, but I can usually size up how much extra work a job is going to be and try to charge accordingly. I kinda blew it on this one to be honest. This job took a LOT more work than I anticipated which is the reason for this thread. I stuck to my quote though. Like I said, I think I'm likely to gain more work from this customer as a result of this job so maybe it will even out in the long run.

A few little pieces of residue is no big deal or a few pieces of gum so I normally include that in my price. You have to figure your extra cost and time to remove these things. Whenever possible I just simply make a higher per sq. ft. charge or I may just shoot them a price and see how they handle it.

Reactions: Rick F

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I regularly do hallways in an apartment building 3 story.
3rd story has a bridge that connects the North and South buildings.
Anyway.
Last Summer contractor's we're working on the roof and they Duck Taped cardboard for about 300 feet on the entire 3rd floor.
So when I came to clean this I used Gel Spot by Esteam.
CRB scrubbing and HWE. About 500 feet from the Van.

Visual it looked good but I explained there's no way of knowing if any remained because only time will tell if left over residue will cause rapid re-soiling.
About a month later areas began to go dark.
So went back and again used Gel spot, CRB and this time RX 20 on the spots flushed it really good with the RX 20 for a long time on the area's and it worked.
I know the resoiling is a problem since any remaining residue will attract dirt to it pretty quick. It's almost impossible to completely remove all that adhesive. I noticed on Pros Choice stain guide they recommend using their product called ASR or anti-resoiling agent after you're done. I don't know how well that would work, but it could come in handy so I thought I'd mention it.

spod

Dec 5, 2013
I know the resoiling is a problem since any remaining residue will attract dirt to it pretty quick. It's almost impossible to completely remove all that adhesive. I noticed on Pros Choice stain guide they recommend using their product called ASR or anti-resoiling agent after you're done. I don't know how well that would work, but it could come in handy so I thought I'd mention it.
The Problem is you just don't know if you got it all until it re-soiles.
It looks clean and it's wet or I should say damp to the touch same at the carpet next to the tape spot I tried to notice if there was a difference it touch maybe oily or sticky, but it feels the same way as the damp carpets beside the residue spots.

How much product to use ???
How many passes with the wand ???

Kinda like will it wick or not wick ???

That why I explained that is probably going to be a two step cleaning.
And on the second go I just had to do some areas and held the RX-20 in the same spot and just flushed those areas.

I often tell customer's with problem carpets it's like "trying to paint a black wall white."
"We might need a second coat of paint maybe even a third, but we have to see what it looks like when it's dry to decide."

They always can relate to painting, it one of the first things we all learn in preschool.