wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I haven't run into any tape residue to speak of in a very long time. If anybody's done enough tape residue you already know some of it comes up easy while others just don't. I've also found some respond to one kind of solvent well, but may not respond to another equally good solvent at all. That's a mystery of adhesives that's beyond my pay grade. I generally keep at least 2 or 3 things on hand that will remove most adhesives, but neither will remove them all. I've always found a good citrus solvent knocks many adhesives out with ease. I also use Goof Off and find some respond well to that, but again, not all respond to either one of these.

I just got back from doing the tape residue from hell. I think the devil himself put this tape down. I got it looking a lot better doing some things that normally I wouldn't do to a carpet, but I had to make an exception this time. The citrus solvent performed best on this so I stuck, pun intended, with that!

So, what's your preferred method for dealing with super sticky, hard to remove adhesives. Any magic bullets out there that I don't know about? Here's a picture of part of the residue. I spent a LOT of time on this trying to get it looking my best. This was SUPER HARD to remove. In case you're wondering yes I did use that wire brush on this carpet. :eek: Helped tremendously w/o doing any serious damage on this one. Would have destroyed some carpets I'm sure. The carpet was super filthy too and let go for years. I made no promises on this one other than it would look a lot better. I kept my promise for that at least.

20190107_154702g.jpg

Last edited:

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
goof off or goo gone gel

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I keep goof off on the truck just for this stuff
I just bought a whole gallon of Goof Off and have used it for years. It had virtually no effect on the above tape residue. Actually it was the first thing I tried, but it was a no go on this one. A citrus solvent worked better on this one, but I'm hoping to find something better. I remember years ago that Power Clean industries had a superb adhesive remover that did work on just about anything. Haven't seen it in years and don't know if it's being made anymore. I don't know what was in it, but it was by far the best I've ever seen.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
forgot DON'T own THE CUSTOMERS PROBLEM!!!!!

it might take a few cleanings to remove it all but no guarantees

acetone might work

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
goof off or goo gone gel
Goo Gone Gel is what I wound up using since it gave the best results. Still this was SLOW going and a lot harder than it should've been. Goof Off contains a lot of acetone as well as some other unknown solvents so I doubt if pure acetone would do any better. It seemed to have almost no effect at all on this tape residue. I told them up front I doubted I could get it all out and was expecting trouble with it.

Reactions: Odin

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
How about a wallpaper steamer to heat it up then add some goo gone?

Then again how much time do you want to put into this

maybe for next cleaning.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Paint thinner. Never tried it on tape. But we use paint thinner to clean up carpet adhesive and seam sealer. Very light and sparingly. Cant let it get into the backing. Not the green junk either just plain old school paint thinner. We apply it to a carpet scrap, lightly wipe once across it. Then use a dry piece of carpet to scrub. Clean it very dry.

Reactions: wandwizard

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I have used Pros choice amazing goof or something like that. They have a clear and a white gel. Both have worked well in removing residue off of floors for me, wont hurt to try on carpet?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Paint thinner. Never tried it on tape. But we use paint thinner to clean up carpet adhesive and seam sealer. Very light and sparingly. Cant let it get into the backing. Not the green junk either just plain old school paint thinner. We apply it to a carpet scrap, lightly wipe once across it. Then use a dry piece of carpet to scrub. Clean it very dry.
That might have been worth a shot. I just looked up the sds for Klean Strip paint thinner and it's 95% Stoddard Solvents. Goof Off is a pretty powerful solvent though and it had virtually no effect on this adhesive. I'd like to see the industry come up with something better for adhesives that won't delaminate backing if that's even humanly possible. I don't know what kind of tape this was, but it was very strong adhesive and was absorbed into the fibers pretty bad.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have used Pros choice amazing goof or something like that. They have a clear and a white gel. Both have worked well in removing residue off of floors for me, wont hurt to try on carpet?
They seem to be marketing that strictly for hard surfaces. Of course this was a case where the carpet really needed to be ripped up and burned anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a bit if they had! :) What I did really shouldn't be done on a carpet, but they have someone moving into this thing on Wednesday and waited until the last minute to call anyone to clean. I think they were happy with the job and I lowered their expectations about the tape residue so they couldn't complain when I failed to remove all of it. I did make it look a lot better and cleaned the snot out of that nasty carpet. I only did 3 rooms and fortunately, the other 2 weren't terrible. I also told them flat out that really this carpet should be replaced.

Last edited:

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
IMG_0092.PNG

Best adhesive remover you’ll ever use!

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
POG, Prochem on large areas, ( stick on walking mats)citrus gel here and there. Believe in goo gone, haven't used it since my food and hospitality years.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I had some tape residue on a CGD and I used citrus solv on it. Misted it on straight. Then agitated it with a 175 and I think a red pad, might have been green pad, then hit it with as much heat as I could muster. Most of it came out.

I wouldn't promise the customer that It will all come out. It gets down to the backing and anything that will take the glue out will also destroy the backing on the carpet and you will have delaminated carpet if you are not careful.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've had a few guys report tremendous success with New Energy, which is a blend of 2-bu, d-limonene, and mineral spirits. Can't claim that it works on ALL adhesives, mostly because we haven't tried it on all of them, lol, but so far the feedback has been excellent.

Gel Break or the 1-2 combo of Pro-Solv Gel and Power Gel are also popular treatments.