Whats your fav quick release fittings?? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Whats your fav quick release fittings??

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
I have mostly brass ones and I hate em. A few of them just dont want to go together even when theres no pressure!! I know their probably Chinese fittings.
I purchased a stainless set and what a difference!!! Talk about precision compares to the brass 1/4 fittings!
Was at the new JonDon just to see it and they guy pulls out this one. 56.00 for the female and 16.00 I think for the male.
He told me to go to a place about 15 miles away and see what they had. I was not going to waste time driving around and taking a chance.
I love them. They go together so easy!!!
20191013_144344.jpg

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I have mostly brass ones and I hate em. A few of them just dont want to go together even when theres no pressure!! I know their probably Chinese fittings.
I purchased a stainless set and what a difference!!! Talk about precision compares to the brass 1/4 fittings!
Was at the new JonDon just to see it and they guy pulls out this one. 56.00 for the female and 16.00 I think for the male.
He told me to go to a place about 15 miles away and see what they had. I was not going to waste time driving around and taking a chance.
I love them. They go together so easy!!!View attachment 87608
I usually pair ss male qd with a female brass qd. My intentions are obvious, savings. Now I like ro insert a quote from Sunbelt article:" Solid brass fittings with brass on brass wear internal parts ensure tight fitting and minimal, even wear over time."

If you pamper your brass QD's, ( like I do) they'll be with you for a long years. I know all recommendation for replacement frequency, but QD's work little different than jets. I have QD's
( working ones) close to a 10 years old. It's not secret that vital part of QD's are locking balls ,double O-rings, collars ( nipples) that have to fully engage . If you get dirt in locking balls, or you don't use qc's for quite some time, you might have problem with a corrosion, stiffness, etc.
Once a month, I collect all my QD's and use smidge of super lube under the collar to lubricate locking balls. By spinning collar clockwise and counterclockwise , locking balls gets lubed and at same time , first set of the o-ring, the second is not visible . After connecting male ss connect, all sits just right. We all have tendency to hurry a when connecting two end of solution hoses, sometimes we hear screeching sound instead of nice, loud click. There is your culprit, we're forcing it instead of making smooth connection. I might've spent too much time and used too many words about one simple Qc, but you have to realize that we have to replace them quite often ( you want to keep your variable expenses on low end)
I promised to send you a few thing( I rarely forget) so I'm going to keep my end of the deal) and I'll send you very old female QD's ( Parker) and I guarantee that you've never seen one like that. You better believe that is functional an most likely wil fit with your male qc's.
You're not going to read about all that in carpet cleaner handbook...are ya?

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Great advice above! If you have QC's that won't go together smoothly or not at all there is a very quick fix for this. The rib on the male QC is slightly enlarged from turning while under pressure while inside the female. Using a crescent wrench tighten it down on the rib and spin it around to shave it down ever so slightly.

20191014_071733.jpg

Sometimes even brand new fosters or parker male QC's need this done to fit existing female fittings. It's a 30 second fix.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I usually pair ss male qd with a female brass qd. My intentions are obvious, savings. Now I like ro insert a quote from Sunbelt article:" Solid brass fittings with brass on brass wear internal parts ensure tight fitting and minimal, even wear over time."

If you pamper your brass QD's, ( like I do) they'll be with you for a long years. I know all recommendation for replacement frequency, but QD's work little different than jets. I have QD's
( working ones) close to a 10 years old. It's not secret that vital part of QD's are locking balls ,double O-rings, collars ( nipples) that have to fully engage . If you get dirt in locking balls, or you don't use qc's for quite some time, you might have problem with a corrosion, stiffness, etc.
Once a month, I collect all my QD's and use smidge of super lube under the collar to lubricate locking balls. By spinning collar clockwise and counterclockwise , locking balls gets lubed and at same time , first set of the o-ring, the second is not visible . After connecting male ss connect, all sits just right. We all have tendency to hurry a when connecting two end of solution hoses, sometimes we hear screeching sound instead of nice, loud click. There is your culprit, we're forcing it instead of making smooth connection. I might've spent too much time and used too many words about one simple Qc, but you have to realize that we have to replace them quite often ( you want to keep your variable expenses on low end)
I promised to send you a few thing( I rarely forget) so I'm going to keep my end of the deal) and I'll send you very old female QD's ( Parker) and I guarantee that you've never seen one like that. You better believe that is functional an most likely wil fit with your male qc's.
You're not going to read about all that in carpet cleaner handbook...are ya?
Brass is what I use and the inside springs go bad. They leak water and do not shut off on both male and female QC. And ya cant blame it 100% on particles. but I did not flush with vinegar very much.
Also, not all QC are the same, as new one do not match (different manufactures ) the old ones, and leak too, you have to get the same made (new) male and female qc for best performance.

Reactions: Luky

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Brass is what I use and the inside springs go bad. They leak water and do not shut off on both male and female QC. And ya cant blame it 100% on particles. but I did not flush with vinegar very much.
Also, not all QC are the same, as new one do not match (different manufactures ) the old ones, and leak too, you have to get the same made (new) male and female qc for best performance.
Yes, already had a brass male come apart inside!!!
What's the lifespan difference between a foster stainless and a generic brass fitting???
I bet it's a big difference. Its pretty aggravating when your trying to keep a good pace going and fittings decide to not want to work.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I always used brass female connectors but used stainless male connectors on all my tools.
The male ends especially the brass ones are the first to get mushroomed out from the constant triggering and not fit properly.

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
Great advice above! If you have QC's that won't go together smoothly or not at all there is a very quick fix for this. The rib on the male QC is slightly enlarged from turning while under pressure while inside the female. Using a crescent wrench tighten it down on the rib and spin it around to shave it down ever so slightly.

View attachment 87611

Sometimes even brand new fosters or parker male QC's need this done to fit existing female fittings. It's a 30 second fix.
Thank you Jim. I'm going to try that. I know that the stainless are alot more money. Are they worth the extra money over brass??
I know stainless is far and away harder then brass. If they are made well and taken care of I woul think they are worth the extra money and should last a long time.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you reel up or hand wind hose and drag the end to you, you should probably get ss for that one end. Cobb sells a SS version with ptfe o-rings in the female, probably the best overall value for longevity and high heat.

I use a brass male on the solution line for the TM and set it in the van before reeling up. For the portable, I have males on both ends and reel 35' of ⅜" on an electric cord reel inside the house, mine never get dragged over concrete and last a really long time.

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Biggest culprit for QC-death around here is dragging them along while rolling up hose.

I see guys come in with their QCs abraded, shaved, and pitted, with the collar so rounded you can barely even get your fingers to grip it. And they complain that "oh, these damn cheap connects don't last".

Neither would I if you dragged me around on the asphalt like that. Yikes.

Reactions: Clean-n-mean

Clean-n-mean

Feb 9, 2018
Real Name
Todd santora
If you reel up or hand wind hose and drag the end to you, you should probably get ss for that one end. Cobb sells a SS version with ptfe o-rings in the female, probably the best overall value for longevity and high heat.

I use a brass male on the solution line for the TM and set it in the van before reeling up. For the portable, I have males on both ends and reel 35' of ⅜" on an electric cord reel inside the house, mine never get dragged over concrete and last a really long time.
Thanks Jim. Great info!! I did find some Foster brass ones for 13.00 on ebay. Male and female for 13.00 is pretty tempting.