What's your biggest obstacle to up sales? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What's your biggest obstacle to up sales?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
when we had employees we had a custom invoice form made up that had a line item for each service we offered. When we went over the invoice with the customer for the work that was to be done that day, the tech simply went down each line so all services were offered and the ones that were to be performed were filled in.

Easy Peezy.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Learn how to upsell and you to can be just like me

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob changed my avatar name.....
That's actually pretty good.
I feel like he's about as funny as a case of jock itch....but that's pretty fukin good.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Reactions: Hacky-sack

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
People stop me constantly to tell me I look like The Rock.... My wife and grandkids say that too....
Personally , I don't get it.

That dude is 6'5"....Samoan and black

I'm native, Portuguese , Spanish, African, French, in that order....

If my 6 foot frame stood next to Duan Johnson, I'd look more like Danny Devito.
I said you’re the product of the rock and Tebow. Your like an anorexic version of the rock
Now me on the other hand resemble a jelly roll

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I sat down and made a complete sales training online course in 2018. Took me the whole year. We showed it to all our techs Jan 2019 and each one doubled their sales and our bank account shot up ever since. It worked so well Tre my son wouldn’t offer it in the www.tmfacademy.com. He said “how do you put a value on this dad”? So we shelved it temporarily till we decide.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Sales is simple. Gotta ask.
Asking is obviously imperative, what you ask, how you ask it, when you ask, and what you say/do after you ask is where the real skills come in...

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Time..........that’s my biggest impediment. I don’t like to give customers an ETA window that can be hours because I don’t like to get an ETA window from a service provider.......

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Asking is obviously imperative, what you ask, how you ask it, when you ask, and what you say/do after you ask is where the real skills come in...
Having the customer at ease with trust in your craft after they witness results they were after all along, makes add ons sell themselves. This type of "presence" in front of the customer is acquired and starts from the time they open the door and see what type of company projection you have. If you charge top dollar, everything best look top dollar and the attitude selling this needs to match. Experience and confidence can only be earned the hard way and can't be bought or trained in the high dollar textile racket. Scrubbing polys, disregard everything above....

Reactions: Thewy

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Having the customer at ease with trust in your craft after they witness results they were after all along, makes add ons sell themselves. This type of "presence" in front of the customer is acquired and starts from the time they open the door and see what type of company projection you have. If you charge top dollar, everything best look top dollar and the attitude selling this needs to match. Experience and confidence can only be earned the hard way and can't be bought or trained in the high dollar textile racket. Scrubbing polys, disregard everything above....
Agree experience is earned the hard way.... and time doesn't guarantee it. Time + Effort + Comprehension

Confidence certainly is a result of experience

Sales Training "Rackets" ... yeah most of them are. Most "trainers" couldn't apply what they teach in the real world, and honestly to me that doesn't matter..it's the "nuggets" I can take away for my own application.

There is a scenario where training classes have value...not all classes but there are some good ones out there

Over my career I have

Became a certified facilator/trainer for Lou Tice Investment in Excellence
Paul Cummins Bring the fire sales training
Trevor Training business development
Trevor Training Phone Closing
Predix Hiring Training
9 Gates to a sale Training

I wrote and created a video class for Goal setting for results as a result of what I learned from these classes

A high majority of the people that I attended these classes with I would assume didn't apply themselves in the classes, didn't see value, didn't have the comprehension level to understand it, and/or have forgotten the principles taught in the classes.

I took the principles and learned out to apply them in real life, regardless of what field I was in.

For example...I am not a highly skilled carpet cleaner like yourself or most of the people on this forum. I only did it for 2.5 years total... it was right after the crash in 08 that I had lost everything. I am a survivor not a victim so I bought a pos van and truckmount and went out everyday to make a living...didn't know a damn thing.

Did $177k my first year...$235k my second year and sold my business in my third year for enough money to build my wife a clothing store (which she sold 2 years ago), buy a house, buy 2 cars with cash and have some left over...changed my life. I'm back in my old business now (RVs) living debt free making more money then I ever have and still applying those principles I learned in my training...now with almost 20 years of in the business I have a ton of experience and confidence to go along with it...

I would never recommend sending my employees to training seminars...it's just a lazy way to grow your company. But the core leadership can get value out of these training classes. But it takes them being able to break it down and apply it to their business and know how to build the concepts in layers over time.

• Love
Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Agree experience is earned the hard way.... and time doesn't guarantee it. Time + Effort + Comprehension

Confidence certainly is a result of experience

Sales Training "Rackets" ... yeah most of them are. Most "trainers" couldn't apply what they teach in the real world, and honestly to me that doesn't matter..it's the "nuggets" I can take away for my own application.

There is a scenario where training classes have value...not all classes but there are some good ones out there

Over my career I have

Became a certified facilator/trainer for Lou Tice Investment in Excellence
Paul Cummins Bring the fire sales training
Trevor Training business development
Trevor Training Phone Closing
Predix Hiring Training
9 Gates to a sale Training

I wrote and created a video class for Goal setting for results as a result of what I learned from these classes

A high majority of the people that I attended these classes with I would assume didn't apply themselves in the classes, didn't see value, didn't have the comprehension level to understand it, and/or have forgotten the principles taught in the classes.

I took the principles and learned out to apply them in real life, regardless of what field I was in.

For example...I am not a highly skilled carpet cleaner like yourself or most of the people on this forum. I only did it for 2.5 years total... it was right after the crash in 08 that I had lost everything. I am a survivor not a victim so I bought a pos van and truckmount and went out everyday to make a living...didn't know a damn thing.

Did $177k my first year...$235k my second year and sold my business in my third year for enough money to build my wife a clothing store (which she sold 2 years ago), buy a house, buy 2 cars with cash and have some left over...changed my life. I'm back in my old business now (RVs) living debt free making more money then I ever have and still applying those principles I learned in my training...now with almost 20 years of in the business I have a ton of experience and confidence to go along with it...

I would never recommend sending my employees to training seminars...it's just a lazy way to grow your company. But the core leadership can get value out of these training classes. But it takes them being able to break it down and apply it to their business and know how to build the concepts in layers over time.
Hunger, refusal to fail and knowing what the hell your selling is a brutal combination. Getting all 3 in the same room is a rare quality. The jack of all trades can do well if you play the right hand. Business isn't for most people that want it 9-5, it's for those that want it 24/7. I work 8 hours a day labor plus business, but the wheels are never not turning for tomorrow.