What's your biggest obstacle to up sales? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What's your biggest obstacle to up sales?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have found over the decades my biggest profit maker in cleaning has been up sales. I don't mean "hard" sell, I mean continuous soft selling through education. But I am surprised by how many cleaners do not up sell depriving themselves of doubling or tripling their profits. So what would you say is the biggest obstacles to up sales?

Reactions: Swani21

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
lack of confidence

Fear

Lack of "know how"

Reactions: MikeGaure

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
If you're not upselling and growing your gonna retire on social security with a bad back and knees and a $5k van that you sell on craigslist...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If you're not upselling and growing your gonna retire on social security with a bad back and knees and a $5k van that you sell on craigslist...
True. And or sell their whole company they ran for decades for less than 10k.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Honestly I won't upsell protectant anymore. It never passes muster in my shop on polyester fibers which is 90% of what I see, even in high end homes now.

Reactions: mrotto and CCWorks

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Honestly I won't upsell protectant anymore. It never passes muster in my shop on polyester fibers which is 90% of what I see, even in high end homes now.
What do you upsell

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
#1 is with first contact with the customer on the phone is to tell them that you will come by and measure and give them exactly the service they really need right then and nothing more and if the price is out of their budget no hard feelings we will walk no questions asked... if it's not the right fit "we are exactly the same and live on a budget too".

#2 live up to #1

#3 if you land the job, overdeliver and don't upsell, but book the second job and explain that you rely on referrals and love booking neighbors at the same time and give discounts to them and neighbors.

#4 less windshield time = more money per hour

#5 always ask for referrals and book jobs based on geography and not the calendar.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
lack of confidence

Fear

Lack of "know how"
3 things that’ll motivate change

Love
Fear
Pain

I love my family so I learn to step out of my comfort zone

Fear of failing them as motivated me

And it friggin hurts to crawl on my knees all day lol So has to change it up.

We sell by serving. How can we better serve our clients.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Some people think selling is a bad word, they actually take pride that they don't try to sell or "over" sell clients. The reality is most people want/need to be sold. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it... a win win cam be achieved

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Some people think selling is a bad word, they actually take pride that they don't try to sell or "over" sell clients. The reality is most people want/need to be sold. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it... a win win cam be achieved
The right tech can create repeat customers without effort, but you need to be able to be in front of the customer and listen more than talk.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
The direction I have moved with my company is that we meet with each customer and give an estimate before each job. This gives us time to create a relationship and let's us do the upselling right there. That way when we arrive to do the job we have allotted enough time to do the job. I think a lot of upselling doesn't get done because of time. Tech's and even owner's won't do an upsell because they need to get to the next job or it's the end of the day and also fail to schedule at a later time and date.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
You simply have to ask.
Its as simple as...
Would you like me to clean your tiles/couch/rug while I’m here. (They will generally say yes or no before they think about price ) if they don’t jump on the hook, Check out some photos...

Or while you’re leaving and collecting the cheq mention your other services.
Did you know I also clean upholstery/tiles/leather etc
And
Please refer me to your family and friends etc

Needs confidence though
Can’t be nervous....

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Once you have a customers trust they will ask you if you do x,y,z too.
Remember that its the long term customer that you're after so even if they don't add anything today leave the door open.

I don't do carpets, but this week I did work for a customers new house. I did their old house that they were selling.
Yesterday as I was finishing up she asked me if I had seen anything else that needed attention, then asked for biz cards coz she's already talked to 3 neighbors.

And this is a customer that I got from a referral too!

Build trust, do an above and beyond job (I usually find something small that I can do for free) and be clean & presentable at all times!

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Is it just me or does camacho remind anyone else of Jay Chandrasekhar from super troopers?

• Haha
Reactions: Hacky-sack

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Is it just me or does camacho remind anyone else of Jay Chandrasekhar from super troopers?
Dunno who that is but I still think he’s the illegitimate child of “the Rock and Tebow from Friday”

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Dunno who that is but I still think he’s the illegitimate child of “the Rock and Tebow from Friday”
Google him in super troopers man, gotta know if its just me :ROFLMAO: