What's your biggest business weakness? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What's your biggest business weakness?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We all have them. What's yours?

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Everything... I have an 8th grade education, came from a low income family, had nothing to start my business but a little skill and determination... By all accounts I should have failed inside my first year...lol.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Fedri and crash1big

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Biggest weakness is my lack of patience for ignorant techs or customers lol, I need to be more humble
No just punch them in the eye and claim insanity in court... Works every time...

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Weakness is saying “No”. I’ve been running myself in the ground working. Good thing is I’ve been bold with prices and haven’t slowed down at all. Bad thing is wearing myself out, bad.

Cole21

Sep 12, 2016
Real Name
Cole Wuollet
My biggest weakness is marketing. We don’t really market besides word of mouth and we don’t have a referral system or anything. We do have a website but it isn’t designed with booking in mind, it is only informational, and we get some calls from the phone book but it is mostly word of mouth.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
My biggest weakness is marketing. We don’t really market besides word of mouth and we don’t have a referral system or anything. We do have a website but it isn’t designed with booking in mind, it is only informational, and we get some calls from the phone book but it is mostly word of mouth.
Heck I wish I could do that... Marketing Sucks your bank account dry...

Reactions: Calgary Hog

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Everything... I have an 8th grade education, came from a low income family, had nothing to start my business but a little skill and determination... By all accounts I should have failed inside my first year...lol.
I think I have read on here you are in your 4th or 5th year in the business - so congratulations for that John. I might even say you are proving the determination part..You seem like you enjoy continuously learning and appear to have an open mind seeing how you ask for advice on here etc. Kudos to you for making things happen.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Getting slave labor?

Abraham Lincoln freed everyone but little white boys, Lil white boys even worked in the late 1920s. and died at age 30 from black lung.

A young boy worked as a coal miner in Brown, West Virginia in 1908

By 1900, at least 18% of all American workers were still under the age of 16. This young boy worked as a coal miner in Brown, West Virginia in 1908.

View attachment 85407

Some of the most striking photos (pun intended) are of the mines and mine workers. Mines are still scary places to work today, and were much more dirty and dangerous in the time when these photos were taken.

Pennsylvania 1911. Working for the coal company with a bright future ahead. Ah, those were the days.

West Virginia coal mine, 1908. Young boys were used in the mines constantly, it seems, on account of their small size and the claustrophobic mine conditions.

Kids where used as slave miners before the US Government was created..

Lewis Hine
Young Boy Coal Miner, 1909-13
Photograph, 135/8 x 1011/16 in.

ABOUT THE ART

This is one of a series of photographs taken by Lewis Hine to show the condition of children working long hours in dangerous, difficult jobs. This boy, who looks to be ten to twelve years old, faces the camera, dirty and tired from working in a coal mine. His hands on his hips, he pauses a moment in his work clothes. The cap on his head holds a gas lantern with a large wick. In his pocket is a bag of chewing tobacco. He stands before railroad tracks that carry the carts of coal out of the mine.

Small boys were useful workers, being able to climb into the tiniest caves of the mine and light explosives. Besides not receiving an education or time to play, many young miners were killed or gravely injured in work accidents. Photographs like this of working boys and girls were published and shown by Hine to groups of people in order to raise awareness of this social problem. This photograph, along with several others by Hine, helped to convince a majority of Americans that child labor was unjust and resulted in laws to make the practice illegal in the United States.

As a result of his work, tougher laws were passed. In 1938 Congress passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, better known as the Federal Wage and Hour Law. This law established a minimum wage and a 40-hour workweek, and banned children under eighteen from working in hazardous jobs, such as mining.

View attachment 85406

View attachment 85413
John D. Rockefeller had taken control of Lake Superior Consolidated Mines.
The Colorado Fuel & Iron Company was purchased by John D. Rockefeller in 1902
View attachment 85409

View attachment 85411
Not sure how we got here in this thread BUT I can't imagine my son living a life having to go in those mines at such a young age (or any age). Hard to believe the Fair Labor Act was only passed about 1940. Not that long ago!

*Kind of lost me on the Rockefeller part..

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
-Lack of experience
-its possible not having a Truck Mount is a weakness
-having 100' feet of hose and having never used my system with more than 100' hose. concerned about drop off performance.
-not sure how or if I can handle commercial jobs with my equipment (lack of experience)

Those things seem to be in my mind enough of the time.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Just being the mostist, honest, nicest guy in the business! LOL (go ahead let it rip guys lol)

Reactions: J20770

J20770

Premium VIP
Jan 14, 2019
Real Name
Jason Dumont
Biggest weakness is my lack of patience for ignorant techs or customers lol, I need to be more humble
That is my biggest fault.I'm learning to keep my mouth shut but my facial expressions sometimes say more than I ever could.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
At this point I’d have to say me. I’ve lost a lot of strength over the last couple years and find it hard to make it through a job on my own anymore :(.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
My favorite is the customer who thinks carpet cleaning is so simple I must be retarded and that I clearly have no idea what I'm doing...

Reactions: Calgary Hog

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Just being the mostist, honest, nicest guy in the business! LOL (go ahead let it rip guys lol)
Honest and nice are desirable qualities. Anyone think you can’t get ahead in business with these qualities?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
That is my biggest fault.I'm learning to keep my mouth shut but my facial expressions sometimes say more than I ever could.
Words AND facial expressions definetly can impact your ability to manage your information skillfully. It’s part of negotiation.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
At this point I’d have to say me. I’ve lost a lot of strength over the last couple years and find it hard to make it through a job on my own anymore :(.
It’s hard work and I’m only 36. But back to you hopefully you can adapt, get proper support and maybe regain some zing.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Unrelated posts removed. Stay on topic. Carry on.

Reactions: DakotaG