What's the worst thing you have ever heard another carpet cleaner do?

STEAM ENGINE

Dec 1, 2015
Real Name
jeff taylor
Business Location
United States
lol jethrow nice touch,its hard to find anyone that wants to work it was not allways like this the young guys want it all for free i guess.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
lol jethrow nice touch,its hard to find anyone that wants to work it was not allways like this the young guys want it all for free i guess.
No Question Jeff..totally another world these days.BTW Jeff Row was but a JK Bro..Yeah..They want it All & Know it ALL! that's another great reason we need the Hispanics to man our Fields..God knows the Whitey's wont..& Trump..? Doubt we'll see his kids in the field?

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
Competition has a young guy working for them who treated stains on a lady's carpet by dumping a pail of water mixed with OSR onto it and used a wand instead of a water claw to suck it up > her carpets were wet for 3 days ( even with her using 4 fans on it )

Reactions: Joe cool

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
haha, I also do installs and was installing couple rooms and treating concrete for pet odors. When the tenant tells me last carpet cleaners were pouring pinesol directly from the bottle onto the carpet to treat for pet odors..lol. Made some quick money on that install

Reactions: Troyster

Drew Moore

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Drew Moore
Business Location
United States
Some of these are jaw dropping and some of them had me laughing with tears. The ferret is the best one by far, picturing a tail and ass sticking out of the hose and then all the sudden he squirms out with the biggest WTF face a ferret can make..haha

I don't have any stories I can remember, wish my dad had shared more with me but we weren't always buddy buddy growing up..anyways the one I can think of is like my second job or so after taking ownership. Lady stops me at a Sonic and schedules a CC. I show up, husband is there and I'm cleaning and all the sudden he said hey your machine has water spewing everywhere. I walk outside and it looked like old faithful, damn water coming out of the exhaust, coming out of the recovery tank valve on the machine, coming out of every hole it seemed..so I shut the machine down and drain the water in his driveway! I didn't know what else to do, I panicked. Took a few tries and mumbling POS under my breath before I was able to restart and hack my way through rest of job. APO froze up over the winter so I had it overridden until I could get the new machine put in, apparently the float switches didn't work either or the machine woulda cut off. Oh also I used a correct pre-spray but I used Axiom Rinse - was just using what my dad used, I always wondered what "rinse" meant as in the early days he was using Ultrapac Shampoo but lately changed to a "green rinse" and that baffles me as my dad is not a tree hugger by any means..Either way the traffic areas only lightly came clean. Every time I'm in the area and I see him sitting outside his driveway I stop in and say hi, tell him we have improved chemicals and tools and can clean it way better than last time. He says they were pleased and will call me again..I learned some hard lessons that day and ever since I made sure to educate myself on what a rinse is and what an alkaline cleaner is. So now I use Power Strike and either flex ice for most jobs or Dry Slurry with a fab set after if it's a rat nasty.

I hear the usual from customers: competition couldn't get stains out but I did.

SS charging for pet spotter and didn't work.

Carpet took 3 days to dry and it was CGD!

Couldn't get head spots out of recliner

The last 2 are from a competitor I know very well, he grew up next to me and is only slightly older than me. Started a flooring company, actually a CC company first then got into installs. First it was Rushing Carpet Cleaning and when my dad bought a new can, Rushing bought the old van but decided to keep the Quality name and now they run around town marketed as Quality Flooring & Cleaning. The guy cleaning the carpet is a hack, probably not even using chemicals. The only reason I don't try harder to market us as different companies is because we have the same bookkeeper and she said he's so heavy into installs and restoration work that CC is pennies. So maybe he'll drop that service sooner than later but who knows.

Reactions: admin

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
Like ten years ago a competitor cleaned 12 white very fine cotton sofa seat pillows, I guess he used a cheap and high ph chemical with a lot of water. So the pillows turned very yellow so his solution was to buy Sherwin Williams white paint and painted them with a paint brush like a house wall to cover the yellowing.
The client who called me to see if we could fix them, told me that the guy returned the pillows when the Maid was alone putted back in the sofa, the maid paid him and he left with the money , and after that day when the owner sat on the coach, the pillows were completely stiffs, looking really strange and smelling to a lot of paint.
We tried to rinse it, and million different things to help her but the fabric was completely destroyed and plasticized.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Not carpet cleaning but... I was helping my dad do security for an event at a city park and the guy they contract to clean the bathrooms showed up to clean. He got out of the truck with a bucket of cleaner and a cotton toilet swab, opened the bathroom door, dipped the swab in the bucket and the flicked it into the bathroom to sprinkle the cleaner around inside. It was like he was christening the toilets! My dad pulled out his phone and filmed him doing it in the other bathroom and showed it to the parks department the next day. They terminated his contract at the end of the month. My dads currently trying to get a contract with them (he already cleans one of their restrooms as part of his rental agreement) but they are hesitant to sign a new contract after that guy.

Reactions: Joe cool

HiCrestRick

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Rick Wilson
I worked for a company in Florida, years ago, we used portables, one of the guys got into some kind of argument with the customer, I think it was over payment, and he opened the valve for the dirty water discharge in the customer's living room, dumping 5 gallons of black water...he ended up having to replace it. I met a lot of shady characters at that place...but I also learned some important lessons. Once you lose your integrity, you have nothing in life...

Reactions: wandwizard

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
Other cleaner dropped a turd on the side of a vacant house since it was a remodel in process with no toilets or running water. Neighbor peeked over Wall and saw him doing it. Management company hired us after that incident. I love that story every time I get to tell it. :D

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I just did a house this week. Charged $180 and was in and out in 1 hour. The previous cleaner charged them $1,250. Did it in less time then me and they used a portable too. How these guys live with themselves I'll never understand.

Reactions: Robert86

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I just did a house this week. Charged $180 and was in and out in 1 hour. The previous cleaner charged them $1,250. Did it in less time then me and they used a portable too. How these guys live with themselves I'll never understand.
I've got a couple VCT clients that were paying about $1500 - $2000 for waxing and I'm doing it now for $500 - $800. The biggest one is only 2000 sq ft and can be done in 5 hours. Crazy what some people get away with charging.

dididi

Jun 11, 2018
Real Name
Molly
I've got a couple VCT clients that were paying about $1500 - $2000 for waxing and I'm doing it now for $500 - $800. The biggest one is only 2000 sq ft and can be done in 5 hours. Crazy what some people get away with charging.
good price

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This guy definitely makes the list and maybe even takes the cake.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.16.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.16.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 2.16.26 PM.png

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator