What's the worst thing about our industry?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
The double-edged sword is the low barrier to entry. There's always some non-hacker selling a gently used (but probably rode hard and put away wet) cleaning machine with under 2k hours (or 8k hours, you can never really be sure) because he didn't make any money doing $20/room or made money but can't take the physical demands of trying to make money at that rate. And there's always some guy making $20/hr at the local Steemer who thinks this is the way to make the big $$$ undercutting his corporate overlord. He turns into one of those shady guys from the Dateline piece, keeping the public perception of the industry low and everyone thinking that we charge too much. Plumbers, electricians, and HVAC guys require serious schooling and licensing to practice their trades, and that's enough to keep most of the hack-jobs out of those industries or at least keep them bottom-feeding.
Interesting point. I believe this was the most accurate assessment of the situation so far and if we're willing to read between the lines, offers some solutions as well.

thebbqguy

Feb 16, 2019
Real Name
Brian
Business Location
United States
That's because plumbers are called on a emergency! That's when they charged the $300 fee. I do the exact same for water removal $300 to show up and 125 per technician per hour because of the polar vortex we've had a lot of water cleanup work. When your building is flooded in your trying to get it open they don't mind paying the fee at all.

When we had plumbing work done that was scheduled there was no service fee the price was quoted at no charge and we got several estimates. And what's worse is I ended up doing it myself lol
As someone who needed water clean up not long ago, I can testify I would have paid just about anything they quoted. I discovered a leaking hot water heater at 6 p.m. and I called every place I could and finally reached someone at 7:45 p.m. They agreed to come at 10 a.m. the next morning. We paid $900 up front and insurance company paid $1,000. The clean out took 4 guys about 90 minutes. The dehumidifiers ran for 4 days. Two weeks later we had new carpet installed.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
As someone who needed water clean up not long ago, I can testify I would have paid just about anything they quoted. I discovered a leaking hot water heater at 6 p.m. and I called every place I could and finally reached someone at 7:45 p.m. They agreed to come at 10 a.m. the next morning. We paid $900 up front and insurance company paid $1,000. The clean out took 4 guys about 90 minutes. The dehumidifiers ran for 4 days. Two weeks later we had new carpet installed.
Leave me when you show up and the customers tears go away because you're a hero that's going to keep their house from molding and being unlivable it makes you feel incredible and they think of you as a hero yes we charge a premium but we provide a premium in an emergency