What's the #1 way to get Water Damage jobs?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Regular contact with those who can send you business. Stop by at least once a month to see agents, adjusters (and their receptionists), plus AC repair, roofers and so forth.

Always have a reason to stop by. For example "I wanted to let you know we provide 24 hour 7 day a week emergency service" or "Our technicinas have just completed traning on the best use of heat based drying systems at the Reets Drying Academy. We can now domplete drying in half the time of competing companies."

Always bring in something with you - it could be the HP box of doughnuts (I used to do pizza because or family had a pizza business) or a coffee mug or notepad or whatever.

Develop the relationship. Get to know them and get the folks who can send you business know you.

Also consider one of the programs such as More Floods.

Scott Warrington
Technical Support
Interlink Supply / Bridgepoint Systems

P.S. Ignore the guy that made the smartass comment above.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Apr 21, 2009
Somewhere in Colorado
Real Name
Toby Tyler
Business Location
United States
Those of us who know how to do this realize that we aren't going to give this information away for free....why would we do this. I will say that you should start by kissing butt with the local flood experts just as a start.

By the way, that's how I got my start. They will send you smaller jobs you can handle that aren't worth their time once you help them out (for free or close to it) a few times. If you don't want to do this then the other way is to throw money at a phone book ad and watch most of that money go down the drain.

Believe me when I say that you probably don't know what you don't know....but keep asking questions.

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
As Scott said.... Adjusters, adjusters and more adjusters. Relationships with them is where most WD work will come from.

I agree 100%. Get in good with the adjusters. My good friend works at an insurance company and he used to be an adjuster. He was always trying to get me to go out out to the bars with him and a guy and a girl I never met. He said everything is on them. Turns out the two were kissing his butt and wining and dining him just to get the work from him. She led him on too. LOL Eventually he caught on and got pissed at them and gave the work to another company. So just don't go overboard with it.

BeerStop

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando/Tampa
Real Name
andrew kotcher
Business Location
United States
Another way is to join alacrity we use them and handle the Allstate insurance work in our area.
with Alacrity the prices are set so you need to know what to charge for , such as supervisors and what not.
another way of getting flood work is Apartment complex's most privateers dont have drying equipment for high volume flood work so you may get lucky just remember on any flood work dont try to pay all your bills off one flood that will guarantee no more work.( dont overprice yourself)
be ethical with what you use on these jobs too.

Also dont go for the quick dollar on jobs be flexible, and you will get more business.
as for shepards comments we are here to help each other not make a buck off each other especially since the guy is in maryland and you are in colorado.

Reactions: Irish potato

Blind Dr

Oct 15, 2008
Central Illinois
www.adamsproclean.com
Real Name
Gary
Business Location
United States
Those of us who know how to do this realize that we aren't going to give this information away for free....why would we do this. I will say that you should start by kissing butt with the local flood experts just as a start.

By the way, that's how I got my start. They will send you smaller jobs you can handle that aren't worth their time once you help them out (for free or close to it) a few times. If you don't want to do this then the other way is to throw money at a phone book ad and watch most of that money go down the drain.

Believe me when I say that you probably don't know what you don't know....but keep asking questions.

Not all of us are this way. Its not a secret, it just takes some time and money.

If you get on an insurance companies preferred contractors list the jobs will come to you. This is a little difficult as they have to have some openings in the area you want to be in. If there are more jobs than contractors then they will take on more contractors. You have to wine and dine the crap out of them and network with them alot. If you can not get in the area you want request another area close by. Then once you get this "status" you can tell them you want to be in the area that was your first choice. Most insurance companies are now making you declare that you are either a water mitigation company or a restoration company. Look closely at what they have available and determine what your company is going to do.

On a local level stop by the insurance agents, introduce yourself, network and let them become familiar with you. Buy the secretaries some lunch, or perhaps some pastries and take them in. Each time you are in give them a card, brochure or whatever that has your name on it. Keep your name in front of them.

We get a box at the stadium with free food and drinks. We invite the agents and adjusters around the area. We socialize with them and get to know them better. At Christmas time We send out gift certificates for steaks, dinners at local restaurants etc. No big secret, just wine and dine and be in the right place at the right time.

Munoz

Sep 11, 2011
Oregon
Real Name
Jose Munoz
Business Location
United States
If you can get your foot in the door and do an excellent job you should do well, but you need to do your marketing run with the agents and adjusters. You also have to look the part, meaning well dressed no jeans etc. Uniform etc. They need to know you are all business. Visit local businesses like plumbing, HVAC etc since a lot of people will call them first and they tend to recommend companies. Most important I would say is to know what you are doing, nothing else will matter if you can't do it right.

Tim D

Nov 2, 2014
Real Name
Tim Dodaro
How much does it cost to purchase with morefloods.com?

They gave me some $500 off coupons to give to people I know in the industry. If you want one, give me a call. 708.601.6100. I would be happy to discuss the program with you and send you a card. I've been a member for a while now and I love it.

I have seen and heard a lot of ways to get W/D jobs. But I would like to know what is the no#1 way to get them so I won't waste a lot of time running around in circles.:D

What I've found is that there isn't one way that is better than another. When I analyze my marketing I find that I get a little from here and a little from there. I wish there was 1 fantastic thing that I could focus on, but there isn't.

BTW, water damage is the only service I offer. No carpet cleaning, fire, mold or anything else.

PDQ Restoration

Mar 29, 2015
Real Name
Tim rozansky
You should have a marketing plan that has multiple ways you can get business.
Agents
  • We see around 150 agents each month
    • Each month we have a different topic to stop by to quickly tell them about and we always leave something
  • We host 4 CE classes at our local county club 4 times each year
    • It costs us about $55 per agent per class, includes a nice lunch
    • We get a ton of business from those agents
  • Monthly 6" x 11" jumbo post cards
    • We send out approx 350 postcards to both agents and adjusters
  • Electronic newsletter
    • We will be starting a monthly newsletter within the next month
Adjusters
  • We meet adjusters on all jobs and work with them.
    • We get our estimates to them within 24-48 hours of each job
    • Ask if they want our esq files to help them and save them time.
    • We call them monthly and send them the same full color postcard as the agents.
Property Management Companies
  • We see approx 100 property managers each month
Plumbers
  • Send out postcards to plumbers, Hvac and appliance repair companies offering a 10% referal fee up to $500
    • Each month there is a different full color postcard
    • Approx 300 per month
Web Site
  • We run a PPC campaign for focused keywords and have ads made for specific searches and point them to that page on the site
    • We teach how much we spend per real call and how well we convert with how much it cost.
  • The site is Seoed for the same keywords plus for each town in our service area
    • Ex. "Water damage parsippany"
Vechicle Wraps
  • All our vehicles are wrapped and look professional
There are a few other things we do as well. We like diversify how we get jobs, it makes us less dependent on only one source.