Whats longest can run ozone machine in a home?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What's longest can run and ozone machine in a furnished and or empty home? Does it make a big difference running it longer on remediating odors?

Rob

ozone machine.jpg

Last edited:

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Running ozone too long can damage things and cause discoloration in some items.

I believe the calculation is cubic footage x cfm / 60 = minutes of runtime

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
  • carpets, especially synthetic carpets;
  • carpet padding;
  • foam cushions;
  • other plastic furnishings and furniture covers;
  • rubber pads and padding;
  • electrical wire coatings; and
  • fabrics and art containing certain dyes or pigments.
Can all be damaged by ozone.

Here is another article.

https://www.noai.org/does-ozone-damage-rubber

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Running ozone too long can damage things and cause discoloration in some items.

I believe the calculation is cubic footage x cfm / 60 = minutes of runtime
How would mg play into this??

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
How would mg play into this??
I stand corrected...
I just looked in the manual and Total Zone says cubic foot of the space / cfm = minutes of runtime

That is how long it would take to fill that space with ozone

The mg output varies with the size of the unit. Larger outputs have larger fans and more cfm. So the formula still works.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I stand corrected...
I just looked in the manual and Total Zone says cubic foot of the space / cfm = minutes of runtime

That is how long it would take to fill that space with ozone

The mg output varies with the size of the unit. Larger outputs have larger fans and more cfm. So the formula still works.
Todd this is my unit. I have a 3500 sq ft building with 8' ceilings at my rug shop. How would you formulate this? Would walls and furniture weigh into it? We have rugs come in every day and we are cleaning them daily. So their is various off gassing. Can I set it to run every night before I leave to help knock down rug odors?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
LxWxH= cubic ft

What is the cfm of the ozone machine?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I rephrased my question above your last comment if you don't mind re-reding it. I will check the CFM's now.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Todd this is my unit. I have a 3500 sq ft building with 8' ceilings at my rug shop. How would you formulate this? Would walls and furniture weigh into it? We have rugs come in every day and we are cleaning them daily. So their is various off gassing. Can I set it to run every night before I leave to help knock down rug odors?
Also, if you are trying to ozone certain items, build a containment are to minimize the cubic footage

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
I rephrased my question above your last comment if you don't mind re-reding it. I will check the CFM's now.
I get what you are asking now.
Have you tried running hydroxyl?? You could run that constantly

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Also, if you are trying to ozone certain items, build a containment are to minimize the cubic footage
Good point. I have mostly contained my back area of my shop so its closer to 2000 sq ft with 8' ceilings. It is also on a separate zone HVAC.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I get what you are asking now.
Have you tried running hydroxyl?? You could run that constantly
I haven and have tried. Doesn't seem to knock the wet animal smell dog down running it 24/7. I feel it be easier to just set my timer and ozone each night. Then by time we get back in it could be smelling fresh and oxygen levels would be back to normal. Suppose we set it to the 8 hour mark each night. If we close at 6pm means it will run to 2am and then by time my techs arrive at 7am should be good oxygen wise. My concern is could there be any damage to other things running it daily.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Scott Kaun

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
I have had my ozone generator at job I did, in bedroom, post cleaning....turned on generator closed door, when I returned half hour later, there was a fog in the room. I'm NO scientist, but some chemical reaction had to be taking place, to cause fogging.. so, I try to run in dry area. Letting you know, in case it happens at your shop.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
I have had my ozone generator at job I did, in bedroom, post cleaning....turned on generator closed door, when I returned half hour later, there was a fog in the room. I'm NO scientist, but some chemical reaction had to be taking place, to cause fogging.. so, I try to run in dry area. Letting you know, in case it happens at your shop.
Ozone generators create a an extra particle of oxygen. When it comes in contact with odor or bacteria it oxidizes it and reverts back to regular oxygen.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I found a couple cheaper brand machines that began to overheat after several hours of running. In one case, I set a timer to run for 12 hours. I happened to come back in about 10 1/2 hours and the machines was on fire and creating black smoke as part of the case melted.

At least the first few times of running it unattended for 8 hours or more, I would suggest checking on it.

The machines that caused me problems are a model no longer manufactured, but there are some with a similar design.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Rob,

How are you doing your initial water removal from your rugs? If you have them relatively dry before hanging them then you shouldn't need ozone. Just use a lot of airflow to dry them quickly. Get about 3 16,000 CFM fans and run them full tilt. You can get them from Northern Tool for about $449 each. Also, if you are doing high volume, get a centrifuge. Pricey, but if you are serious about doing rugs then it is the best way to go.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337618551&icep_item=272552057329

http://rugbadger.com/rugrevolutions.html

Last edited:

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
For anyone interest in a centrifuge, they are available through Interlink Supply. Various lengths. We can also do customer color and include an install. We work with Clark Lancaster on these.