Whats happening here... VCT maintenance issues

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
NICE JOB! As for the unstripability , I put money on they used a spray buff repeatedly with a hardener.
No spray buff, thats one of the few things I think they do right.
Talking with some of their cleaners they were convinced that the floors up there just looked bad and there was no way to get them better. They decided this because someone did a very poor job stripping the floor one time and waxed over a bunch of grey dirty wax. Then when they tried to deep scrub it and saw that the grey wasn't coming out they decided that the tile is just shot and there is nothing they can do about it. So every couple of months they've scrubbed it with simple green and a blue pad, mopped it off (they don't have any wet vacs) and slapped down 3 - 5 more coats of wax.
I'm tempted after all of this to offer him a once to twice a month maintenance schedule with a topcoat every 6 months (if properly maintained I should be able to go 2 years between strip and wax on these floors). If his guy just mops it daily with neutral cleaner, not simple green, then it would stay looking that nice for a good long time. I just hate knowing that after all that work its not going to be maintained properly.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
No spray buff, thats one of the few things I think they do right.
Talking with some of their cleaners they were convinced that the floors up there just looked bad and there was no way to get them better. They decided this because someone did a very poor job stripping the floor one time and waxed over a bunch of grey dirty wax. Then when they tried to deep scrub it and saw that the grey wasn't coming out they decided that the tile is just shot and there is nothing they can do about it. So every couple of months they've scrubbed it with simple green and a blue pad, mopped it off (they don't have any wet vacs) and slapped down 3 - 5 more coats of wax.
I'm tempted after all of this to offer him a once to twice a month maintenance schedule with a topcoat every 6 months (if properly maintained I should be able to go 2 years between strip and wax on these floors). If his guy just mops it daily with neutral cleaner, not simple green, then it would stay looking that nice for a good long time. I just hate knowing that after all that work its not going to be maintained properly.

More over if they use a damn clean mop head instead of a black grease one they’ve used all over the place and haven’t changed that one in a year and a half. And when you find it it’s sitting in some dirty old black coated pail filled with sour ol milk they mopped up 12 hours ago. That smells like a homeless person on a 120*f day.
But maybe you’ll be lucky! LOL “just sayen”

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
More over if they use a damn clean mop head instead of a black grease one they’ve used all over the place and haven’t changed that one in a year and a half. And when you find it it’s sitting in some dirty old black coated pail filled with sour ol milk they mopped up 12 hours ago. That smells like a homeless person on a 120*f day.
But maybe you’ll be lucky! LOL “just sayen”

Its now quite that bad you're not far off either, lol!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Every couple months 4 or 5 coats. LOL!
I’m lucky to get a gallon a year to recoat. Usually one coat a year.
OMG they used A LOT of wax.

They use a TON of wax. And stripper. I worked for this company for nearly 5 years before I left to start out on my own. Was the assistant manager. I never could get those guys to understand that double stripper doesn't mean strips faster!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I've been there. Got so frustrated by the day people trashing my mops and never putting anything away that I would take stuff home sometimes.

I have one lady that is so anal about her studs she takes everything home at night including all her mops and rags WTF!
Can’t even convince her to use our washer and dryer