What would you guys bid this at?

Discussion in 'Janitorial, Housekeeping & Maid Cleaning Forum' started by Robert86, Aug 3, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Robert86

Robert86 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    Rundown of a supermarket I'm bidding.

42,000 sq ft. total. 36,000 sq ft of VCT on the sales floor. 1,100 sq ft VCT in upstairs hallway, break room and bathrooms. 3,000 sq ft concrete in freight rooms. 1,000 sq ft CGD in offices.

Public restrooms, 3 toilets and 2 sinks in each (mens/womens) 2" tile floors, 4" tile walls.
    Employee restrooms: 1 toilet and 1 sink in each. Painted walls, VCT floor.

Daily: Main floor: Vacuum and roll up rugs. Dust Mop, Scrub and buff floor. Clean restrooms. Empty garbages (6 total).
    Upstairs: Vacuum offices. Dump Garbages (8 total). Clean VCT floors (16" Karcher compact scrubber used for this). Mop stairs

Weekly: Deep clean bathrooms (Kaivac system cleaning downstairs) Auto scrub traffic areas in freight room. Buff upstairs.

Monthly: Deep scrub/Topcoat VCT. Bonnet clean CGD in offices.

Yearly: Strip and wax. HWE in offices.

So that's pretty much the jist of it. I'm planning on hiring 2 employees to each work 32 hours a week (4, 8 hour shifts each, they would have 1 day overlapping). I would schedule myself for 2 days a week, but anticipate having to work more because, you know, shtuff happens. Buffing would actually be every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, when there would be 2 people at the store. I'm going to bid $10,000 a month. I feel it's high but knowing what a headaches accounts like this can become particularly for smaller companies, I'm not comfortable with less. Besides, I believe I can provide a quality of service that justifies my price.

What I'm wondering is how my price compares. With everything I've included (the carpet cleaning isn't standard in a supermarket bid, at least for this area, and most companies only wax twice a year), if your company was doing this bid what would your price be?

2. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,291 / 10 / -0
    Going to play close attention to this . Wouldn't know where to start except at Parish Supply and look at the ISSA numbers for cleaning times . Might want to pm Mike Krall ....... He does large facilities . Haven't seen him here for awhile . Reason I suggest looking at times
    ........ The daily, at least to me , doesn't look like an eight hour shift . Using auto scrubbers and propane buffers you can move pretty fast . I hope you get that money .
    Profit margins on food what they are I wonder if they could do 10 K . Maybe !
    Thanks for writing all that out and very interested to see what others say . Good luck !!
    All the Best, Ed

3. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    I know the guy right now is doing 8k and is coming way short of what they want. Only waxes twice a year so one strip and one topcoat. Bathrooms look like garbage and the entire upstairs makes you wonder if he cleans anything up there ever. He also employs just 1 part time worker. So for what I'm offering I feel like I'm in the ballpark, but definitely the high end.

I've got the ISSA cleaning times taped to the wall right now, which I kind of questions a few of their times. By their estimates it would take about 2.5 hours to dust mop a 40,000 sq ft store with a 42" dust mop. I used to do that in 20 - 30 minutes. But maybe they are estimating a much more detailed job than what I do which is just trying to remove the bulk soils. But you are correct on times. That's a 6 hour shift. I know I could get it done in 5 hours. But I count on 8 because you get guys that move slow, or it's a freight night and you end up sitting for an hour waiting for 2 aisles to get thrown so you can clean. They don't want you running the buffer around the checkstands while customers are checking out so you loose a little time waiting for that... I was an assistant manager for 4 years for a company that had 4 super market accounts, and we just scheduled guys for 8 hours. If they got done sooner they could go home sooner, and no one scheduled to get off work at 7:30 am ever complained about going home at 4am, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,291 / 10 / -0
    Yes sir . Spot on with what I figured daily . The ISSA times are " ball park " to me as well .
    Interesting about the guy they have now and what they're paying . Had a lady tell me at the account " Something is better than NOTHING . " in reference to their situation .
    I'm sure you have figured in that at least the first month or two YOU will have to be there EVERY night . If it's that bad it will take time to get it straightened up .
    Those bathrooms will be your " ticket " along with those offices . WOW them brother !!
    All the Best , Ed

5. Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
    Male
    Missoula, MT
    Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    If I get it the contract first thing that happens is the pressure washer comes out and those bathrooms get the scrub down of a lifetime!

6. Smtwn janitorial

Smtwn janitorial Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I think something around 5-6k a month would be typical in larger areas.i think at 8-9 you could make some profit comfortably, but I would be with you on this one. It could be good, but only for a price.

• Like Like x 1