What would you do | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What would you do

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
So there's a new guy in my town, 02 carpet care which I believe is a franchise. Anyway I started noticing this guy starting to get good reviews on my local next-door.com. Didn't think much about it as i have no problem with a new cleaner in town as I was once a new cleaner in town myself too.

But then he started to get a lot of good reviews really fast and past me by as the Cleaner with the most best reviews on next-door.com So i was like who the hell is this guy and what the hell is he doing. He's not affecting my business at all mind you and i'm not jealous or anything but i was still curious

Then the shit hit the fan on next-door.com for him as some people started to talk negatively about him on nextdoor.com and i watched as he responded to the negative's and in my opinion he did not like it of course and didn't handle it very well in his response's

So i'll admit i was happy to see this. Then I started to get calls from people who's house's he'd been to as other people on next-door.com went on and said to call me.

So i then heard what he's been doing, people say he's very pushy in up selling, he pesters them for reviews, he doesn't go back if there was a problem, doesn't show up when he says he will and makes excuses after excuses. His prices are very high etc... i did one that he wanted $375 for and customer said no then called me I charged $175 for what he wanted $375 for, it was a living room, two bedrooms and small hall very minimal moving of any furniture.

Found out he cleans using a CRB only, just sprays down the encap and use's the dry compound as well sometimes. and that's it.

Anyway problem seems to have taken care of itself as i don't see him getting many good reviews anymore so he kinda dug his own grave in my opinion.

1. Up selling is ok but don't be pushy about it
2. Never pester people for reviews
3. Show up when you say your gonna show up
4. If a spot comes back or there's some issues, return promptly and take care of it (and of course no charge)

Any way I was thinking of making a series of short video's explaining the different methods of carpet cleaning in an honest way without knocking any particular method

I can do this as I have a TM, CRB, Orbot vibe, Oreck orbital and a 175 with solution tank and all related accessories.

I will point out that CRB only cleaning in residential is not the best way to go
Will your carpets look clean afterwards---Yes
Will they dry fast---Yes
Did the cleaner remove any soil from your carpet (after all that's what your paying him/her to do) answer --NO

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
what would/do I do? Explaining methods is easy. There really is no choice.

I just tell the potential customer that if they were to go to ANY carpet store and ask for a carpet maintenance brochure from ANY manufacturer it will state that they buyer of new carpet is REQUIRED to use Hot Water Extraction as their primary cleaning system. So who knows the most about the product THEY make? THEY do!

It just eliminates the personal opinions of each cleaner. I just feel making a video will confuse the customer more than anything but its just my take on it.

As far as your competitor, I dont even care what any of the other cleaners in my area are doing. My customers will always call me, so why waste my time.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
what would/do I do? Explaining methods is easy. There really is no choice.

I just tell the potential customer that if they were to go to ANY carpet store and ask for a carpet maintenance brochure from ANY manufacturer it will state that they buyer of new carpet is REQUIRED to use Hot Water Extraction as their primary cleaning system. So who knows the most about the product THEY make? THEY do!

It just eliminates the personal opinions of each cleaner. I just feel making a video will confuse the customer more than anything but its just my take on it.

As far as your competitor, I dont even care what any of the other cleaners in my area are doing. My customers will always call me, so why waste my time.

Well your right the carpet manufactures will require HWE as the primary cleaning system however when your cleaning carpets that are 10yrs 15yrs old or older from the 2nd 3rd or whatever owner of a house they could care less they just want them cleaned.
But if your in a new house or a house where customer had new carpet installed then i'd inform them of just that.

The other thing is with so many cleaners out there doing different forms of VLM these days a lot of customers are aware of other methods, i get a lot of people call me and ask how i clean.

If everybody just did HWE only things would be a lot easier

As far as other cleaners in my area I usually don't care what they do.
as long as i do a great job at a fair price and people like me i'll be fine ( and I am)

But this other cleaner just rubs me the wrong way and there's more to the story about this guy then I care to tell here

So I guess my reason for the video's is kinda to knock this guy a little on his method but also to let people know that that method is not removing any soil at all which i'm sure there not aware of, who knows what this guy is telling them.

I cannot in good conscience do this method on residential, i call it "scrub and run" If I was going to do this method i'd at least run my orbot vibe with a cotton bonnet to finish it off cause at least you'd be removing some soil and i'd only do it on a moderately soiled carpet at that as i do get people who are concerned about dry time

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Well your right the carpet manufactures will require HWE as the primary cleaning system however when your cleaning carpets that are 10yrs 15yrs old or older from the 2nd 3rd or whatever owner of a house they could care less they just want them cleaned.
But if your in a new house or a house where customer had new carpet installed then i'd inform them of just that.
your missing the point.

Im not talking about maintaining the warrantee.

The manufacturers have done the testing. And they ALL conclude that Hot Water Extraction is the best method. It pertains to ALL synthetic carpet. So if another cleaner says another system is better, that means that they know more than the people that make the carpet?

Reactions: Ed Valentine

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
your missing the point.

Im not talking about maintaining the warrantee.

The manufacturers have done the testing. And they ALL conclude that Hot Water Extraction is the best method. It pertains to ALL synthetic carpet. So if another cleaner says another system is better, that means that they know more than the people that make the carpet?

Ok got it, thanks and I agree. Although i'm equipped to do other methods I do 95% HWE that percentage would be lower but i always steer people towards HWE.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I wouldn’t do anything......If your around long enough and do enough work you will get a reputation. This is what happened here. Honestly I’m glad I grew a client base slower and not relied on social media. I also don’t pay much attention to it at all. There’s enough stress and work without adding to it by relying on it in my opinion if your a one truck show. Anyone relying on VLM solely and trying to clean carpets in bad conditions will rack up a bunch of unhappy folks sooner or later.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I wouldn’t do anything......If your around long enough and do enough work you will get a reputation. This is what happened here. Honestly I’m glad I grew a client base slower and not relied on social media. I also don’t pay much attention to it at all. There’s enough stress and work without adding to it by relying on it in my opinion if your a one truck show. Anyone relying on VLM solely and trying to clean carpets in bad conditions will rack up a bunch of unhappy folks sooner or later.
True, i am a one truck one man show and did just let my business grow slow as i have another source of income and am not solely reliant on carpet cleaning $$$ to live. I have a good base and get referrals all the time from my base.
This new guy does VLM only with just a CRB and although he came in with a bang he is already losing customers to me and getting some not so good reviews on social media here.

Guess maybe i should just leave well enough alone, he'll dig his own grave. I'll just give him the rope and let him hang himself.

I do have another local cleaner friend whom i help all the time and he helps me when i need it to. We just did a big restaurant together using both of our trucks at the same time and knocked it out pretty quick.

He's the only other local cleaner i can work with and trust so far

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Kevin, I agree with Ed above. Never lose energy worrying about your competition; what their process is, etc...

What if they used the same process and equipment you are currently using, how would you handle that?
Your time to convince the customer is in that phone call. Sell yourself and what you will do for them. Inform them of your high standards. Most do not know the difference between your processes, equipment, hoses, or what brand shoes you wear. Step by step inform them how through you are, the attention you pay to their situations, the care you take, etc.

Then they can make the choice. And, in the end, either you convinced them; or , they were only sold on price.

Same in my business, as you probably know from comments on the boards; Quality/Reliability....or, "Price"!!

Best;
Ed Valentine
www.cross-american.com

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I even say to customers sometimes i am not a Groom N Zoomer or a Splash N Dasher

Reactions: rob allen

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I had a guy call me. He was referred to me by a Realtor I work with. Said he needed a whole house he was moving into cleaned a week from when he called. I had that date filled but I said I knew the customer that had that appointment and I could call and see if she would reschedule to another day (I hate turning down vacant homes) I did explain my process and told him an approximate timeframe it would take to do the work. He said that I would need to start in the afternoon because the cable guy was coming in the morning. It was a huge house so I said its an all day job and I would start in areas the cable guy wasnt going to be in. He said ok to call and let him know if I could free up that day. To my surprise the customer that had the appointment that day didnt want to move (usually its no problem)

So by the time I call the guy back he already booked another cleaner (a splash and dash company)

I didnt feel bad about not getting the job because I didnt need that type of client anyway.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I had a guy call me. He was referred to me by a Realtor I work with. Said he needed a whole house he was moving into cleaned a week from when he called. I had that date filled but I said I knew the customer that had that appointment and I could call and see if she would reschedule to another day (I hate turning down vacant homes) I did explain my process and told him an approximate timeframe it would take to do the work. He said that I would need to start in the afternoon because the cable guy was coming in the morning. It was a huge house so I said its an all day job and I would start in areas the cable guy wasnt going to be in. He said ok to call and let him know if I could free up that day. To my surprise the customer that had the appointment that day didnt want to move (usually its no problem)

So by the time I call the guy back he already booked another cleaner (a splash and dash company)

I didnt feel bad about not getting the job because I didnt need that type of client anyway.
I've found my booking rate has increased by giving a short thorough explanation of my process and how everything is included in the price

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I guess what Im trying to say is your not going to get every customer. The thing you need to realize is that you DONT want every customer

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I've found my booking rate has increased by giving a short thorough explanation of my process and how everything is included in the price
I agree, but KISS (keep it simple) If I call a carpenter, i dont want a sermon on how good his hammer is or how he swings it. I just want to know what the project is going to look like when its done.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I agree, but KISS (keep it simple) If I call a carpenter, i dont want a sermon on how good his hammer is or how he swings it. I just want to know what the project is going to look like when its done.

True, but at the same time I'd appreciate knowing if the Carpenter asks me a detailed question such as, "Do you prefer a pressure treated wood for XYZ reasons..." and why that matters in the pricing.

In my case, my main competition is Stanley, Oxi, ZeroreZ. So it's really easy for me to explain to my customer to double check when they are getting other quote if the pre-spray cleaning agent is included in their pricing, the scrubbing, extraction, and soft water rinse are all included?

I simply say in most cases it is not included, therefore my pricing looks higher initially but may actually be lower by the end of the appointment compared to them.

Most customers here have been burned by the franchises and understand exactly what I'm saying.

1599134506722.png

Stanley Steemer is now on my Google Local Services, oh well. 4.2 stars vs 5.0? I'll still see the bulk of calls.

Then in the Maps portion of Google it's not even a contest...

1599134589670.png

And my organic listing is #2, Oxi fresh is #1.

We are cleaning up so bad on the internet it's not even funny. Which I'm not saying will work for everyone, but we found a hole in the market here and filled it.

Reactions: U. S. Vet.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not going to worry about other cleaners, i'm doing just fine. And it's just not worth it i guess.

Plus there building a lot of new homes here all over the place, this little town is growing fast. A lot of people leaving NY, NJ and other liberal run states and coming here, I just hope they leave there politics behind with them.

House's are selling fast over here. I'm looking to buy one and every time i see one i'm interested in its gone in as little as 6 days. I can't make any offers yet as i'm working on getting pre approved

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not going to worry about other cleaners, i'm doing just fine. And it's just not worth it i guess.

Plus there building a lot of new homes here all over the place, this little town is growing fast. A lot of people leaving NY, NJ and other liberal run states and coming here, I just hope they leave there politics behind with them.

House's are selling fast over here. I'm looking to buy one and every time i see one i'm interested in its gone in as little as 6 days. I can't make any offers yet as i'm working on getting pre approved
There are a couple of guys in the surrounding areas that throw out the “No Bait & Switch” motto. This is what’s left to the guy who can’t seem to have much else to talk about concerning his services / products.

Kind of in the same way • directing comments about the competition to the client • usually raises questions about the industry as a whole.

The phone conversation is where the client is won. I’m real careful to present a positive, bright and cheerful disposition • one that will never include a blotch in the potential client’s mind.