What would you bid on this vct job? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What would you bid on this vct job?

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
School contacted me and they want a bid on about 9600 sq. ft. of vct. They want top scrub and two coats of NCL One applied. They will be supplying all supplies and I will supply tools and labor. What would you be bidding?

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I can do most of it with an autoscrubber which should speed the process up. I am trying to figure out how many man hours it will take for me and my helper to do it. There are several stairways and the third floor is not accessible to the autoscrubber.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I can do most of it with an autoscrubber which should speed the process up. I am trying to figure out how many man hours it will take for me and my helper to do it. There are several stairways and the third floor is not accessible to the autoscrubber.
I would figure it up both in sq ft and man hours so you don't cheat yourself,, when i did the last one we measured up the whole job in sq ft and then did it by the hour and when we were done, the money we got was about 30 cents a foot.

where are you getting your flat mops at ?

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I would figure it up both in sq ft and man hours so you don't cheat yourself,, when i did the last one we measured up the whole job in sq ft and then did it by the hour and when we were done, the money we got was about 30 cents a foot.

where are you getting your flat mops at ?
I get mine from a local place, Clean Daze. I am thinking about getting a Trail Blazer so I can do larger jobs more quickly.

Floor Restore

Feb 20, 2013
Winter Haven, FL
Real Name
Bryan Meeks
Business Location
United States
You could guess more by days than hours and figure that way. And tell them your projection is "3" days for "$2000" with a max or cap of a "4th" day at an equal rate to the other days. And tell them it's because you normally supply materials and charge by sqft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: longkenn

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
You could guess more by days than hours and figure that way. And tell them your projection is "3" days for "$2000" with a max or cap of a "4th" day at an equal rate to the other days. And tell them it's because you normally supply materials and charge by sqft.

I have to talk to them again. I am going to find out if they are going to move classroom furniture or if we are. If we do it then the price will be substantially higher.

Floor Restore

Feb 20, 2013
Winter Haven, FL
Real Name
Bryan Meeks
Business Location
United States
I have to talk to them again. I am going to find out if they are going to move classroom furniture or if we are. If we do it then the price will be substantially higher.
I also find that when Ppl, churches, or schools are moving the furniture they almost always "forget" something. So let them know if you have to manage any pieces there will be a charge.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
From my experience public buildings like that arnt particularly picky. Some guys work downunder .20 per sq. I like to be .30-.40 unless I'm bored or want future business. Take your estimate on time, add 25 percent for surprises and go for it.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
From my experience public buildings like that arnt particularly picky. Some guys work downunder .20 per sq. I like to be .30-.40 unless I'm bored or want future business. Take your estimate on time, add 25 percent for surprises and go for it.
If I use the auto-scrubber then I can do it for less. It would cut down on the time needed to get it ready for floor finish. I was trying to think of a way to get the auto-scrubber up the stairs to the third floor. If I use even a small scrubber it would be faster. The bigger scrubber weights about 155 pounds. That would be quite a lot to haul up the stairs.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Even my 19in autoscrubber weighs over 300lbs with batteries in it. I have a 15in auto scrubber that weighs about 100lbs that I lift by myself. They are super handy for restrooms and small areas. Mine is a "panther 15b." Just get a helper and use a side by side with shop vac on top floor. It's a pain but gets it done. Don't go too low and shoot yourself in the foot. You could give them a price and tell them to let you know if they have an available budget.Sometimes they will just tell you what they have to spend on it. Depends on how much competition you have.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
If I use the auto-scrubber then I can do it for less. It would cut down on the time needed to get it ready for floor finish. I was trying to think of a way to get the auto-scrubber up the stairs to the third floor. If I use even a small scrubber it would be faster. The bigger scrubber weights about 155 pounds. That would be quite a lot to haul up the stairs.
Harbor Freight 2500 lb. electric winch . 3/8" plywood to cover stairs and provide a ramp . 4x4 with a heavy duty cable across the stairway at the top so you can attach the winch to . You have landings and hand rails . Use those to winch it up .
All the Best, Ed

EDS

Banned
Nov 5, 2012
Real Name
Ed Scott
Deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
So, I have now measured the job and it is about 33,000 sq. ft. of vct. They want top scrub and recoat. They want just a labor bid. I am thinking somewhere in the $.09 sq ft. range. Seems a little low, but with an autoscrubber I should be able to make money.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I do one place where we strip and wax, labor only. They provide the scrubbers even. When I do a really complete strip, scrubbing all the edges by hand, we make closer to .15 sq ft. If they arn't picky, i think you could do ok at around .10