What type of carpet cleaner do I need?

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Looking to get into tile and grout cleaning. I mainly do strip and waxing and natural stone restoration. My question is, What type of psi is good for a portable heated pressure cleaner/extractor to clean tile and grout with? Looking at one that's up to 400psi.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
So, If you want a machine for tile/grout, buy one designed for tile/grout. You will need a 1000 psi machine to clean tile/grout with efficiently. Those portable machines do not come with heaters because you cannot heat up the water fast enough because you go through water fast. Tile/grout is cleaned with chemical, agitation, pressure. While heat would help, there just isn't a portable machine out there that can do the job.

400 psi is good for carpet but not for tile/grout.

Reactions: suncarpet

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Damn, I thought 400 psi would be enough. It's a carpet cleaner so it comes heated. I can get it for $400 but if 400 psi really isn't enough then I don't know.. I'm not interested in cleaning carpet

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
The other problem with using a carpet machine to do tile is they are not equipped with auto-fill and pump out, which really is essential for T&G cleaning.

FloorCareChris

May 7, 2015
Real Name
Christopher reyes
Damnit, I'm not even sure what auto fill and pump out mean lol. I'm used to my 175 and wet vacs. Change a pad here and there and extract. I thought this machine would give me the heated pressure and extraction I needed to do t&g. So this machine isn't worth it for $400? Wouldn't yield good results on dirty grout lines?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
unfortunately no. The purpose of using a portable machine for T&G is so you don't have to scrub with a 175. It will have the extraction power, just not the pressure needed to run a spinner tool or even blast the dirt out of the grout.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Need auto fill auto dump. May say apo for auto pump out. The pump you not only look at its psi rating but also its flow example 1.5 gpm or 2.5 gpm. There are a few portables that are built for hard surface cleaning. Most come with 800 -1200 psi pumps. And auto fill/apo. But... no heat. Electric heat would be a waste. Mytee, cross american jag, nautilus all have machines built with these features.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If you want heat I would invest in a heated pressure washer with a gas or diesel burner. They can run 1000 psi or more and keep up with water usage.
A lot of Tile and Grout can be cleaned just fine using some groutmaster and cold water at about 1,000psi but if you get into some restaurants with super greasy grout lines then you will almost need heat. You can still do it with cold water but it will take a LOT longer.
What wet vacs do you use for stripping? If you can get like 30 ft of 1.5" hose you can probably use them for the extraction too, Hook your pressure washer line up the T&G tool and the wet vac and run them at the same time.