What to say when asked about experience?

RafaelDavid

Feb 16, 2017
Real Name
Rafael Newman
I'm new to the industry and was just wondering what I'd say to a client if they ask how long I've been cleaning carpet and upholstery...
The only real xp i have with carpet is the rug doctor i bought to clean my wife's car and the carpets before she had my son. Did a great job but definitely not professional quality. That sparked my interest in carpet and upholstery cleaning. Besides that I've done VCT for a couple 711s.
Q) What could i possibly say about my xp in Carper Cleaning that won't cost me a potential client?

Thanks

Sent from my LGMS550 using TMF Forums mobile app

robert 1

Jan 12, 2010
Wichita Falls TX
titanpro24.com
Real Name
Robert Gamez
That's something you have to figure out , wether you want to lie or not. Personally I have had a hand full of customers ever ask. I believe it's all in the deliverance and confidence, if they don't see that then they will probably ? You.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I get asked a few times a month how long I've been doing this, I tell them I have had my business since 2008 and been in the industry for about 16 years. If I was a newbie with not much experience I would probably make a joke and say it's my first day and I hope I don't screw anything up and smile.

Reactions: RafaelDavid

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Tell them this is your first year in the business (only if they ask). If they are hesitant at all tell them you stand behind and guarantee your work. Tell them about any classes you have attended.

I think you will find most people like supporting the little guy vs using a corporate company such as Stanley Steemer. As an owner/operator you can offer them a more personal service. You can spend what ever time is needed on the job instead of having a boss breathing down your neck rushing you to your next job. Use these as selling points when talking to customers. Talk up the service you will provide to them.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I've been running my company for about 2 years but I have over 10 yeas experience in this industry.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Like others said know your business and know it well. Some ask most don't.

Gotta learn to project confidence. Never sell if you're discouraged or frustrated. People can smell a desperate sale a mile away.

Way easier to sell when you're happy and not desperate

Reactions: Robert86

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Don't lie. Either make a joke or tell them you have enough experience to make sure that they will be satisfied with your work. Offer a gaurantee if you know you can do a good job. Being honest is always the best policy.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I'm new to the industry and was just wondering what I'd say to a client if they ask how long I've been cleaning carpet and upholstery...
The only real xp i have with carpet is the rug doctor i bought to clean my wife's car and the carpets before she had my son. Did a great job but definitely not professional quality. That sparked my interest in carpet and upholstery cleaning. Besides that I've done VCT for a couple 711s.
Q) What could i possibly say about my xp in Carper Cleaning that won't cost me a potential client?

Thanks

Usually customer does their " investigation" while you're in the house already working. Everyone feels better with services already proven in the field, that doesn't mean that you have to make up stories you can't back up. Do everything to gain repeat customer, be thorough, be respectful and most important, be yourself.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
When I started back 26 years ago,...I trained for about a week before I was set loose on my own.
I was only 26 so I'd get questioned about it...
Still do...
From the start, I told people I'd been cleaning for 10 years...
Looked them right in the eye when I said it...
Probably not the answer yer looking for but that's how I did it...
Fact is...it gave them more confidence about having me work in their homes...
Nowadays, I'm almost embarrassed to tell people I've been doing this shit 26 years...
Oh well...

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Who gives a shit? Just be prepared, take the classes, educate yourself. Fake the rest.

It's just carpet cleaning...

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States

Thanks

That question can be delivered a few ways:

• The noisy busy body
  • Making Small Talk
  • Love your service and ask in passing
Don't lie to your customers. Instead take it as an opportunity to "wow" them with your knowledge and upsell your service.

You're a new business but have received training from industry leaders. I also HIGHLY recommend the TMF App, I have seen a number of times people posting emergency questions and I may have posted a few in the past. Usually the response is within 5 minutes by another carpet cleaner that has been there and done that.

Confidence is key whenever you're representing yourself and your business. This will come in time and isn't right away.

Reactions: Luky

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Im so old they don't ask anymore. :(

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Starting out I would make it a policy to do the following:
1) Never lie, it will bite you eventually.
2) Go way above and beyond on these first paying customers jobs.
3) Make every customer a cheerleader so they give you positive reviews and referrals.
If asked, casually say I just went full-time this year, but I have invested in the training and equipment to do a great job for you.
If you're like me, I was incredibly nervous on my first jobs which is when you have to get a hold of yourself and be confident, cheerful and relaxed.
And remember it's just cleaning, no-one is going to die!

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
When I started back 26 years ago,...I trained for about a week before I was set loose on my own.
I was only 26 so I'd get questioned about it...
Still do...
From the start, I told people I'd been cleaning for 10 years...
Looked them right in the eye when I said it...
Probably not the answer yer looking for but that's how I did it...
Fact is...it gave them more confidence about having me work in their homes...
Nowadays, I'm almost embarrassed to tell people I've been doing this shit 26 years...
Oh well...

HA! 26 years is nuthin'. Try telling people you've been doing it for 38 years.
They picture a man with a walker and oxygen hose up the nose. :D

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I had very few customers ask about experience. But when I was starting out as a teenager, a few did ask. I told them that my experience was not going to be an because I had not settled into old ways of doing things and I was not going to be complacent like those who had lots of experience and were not always paying attention.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I had very few customers ask about experience. But when I was starting out as a teenager, a few did ask. I told them that my experience was not going to be an because I had not settled into old ways of doing things and I was not going to be complacent like those who had lots of experience and were not always paying attention.

And now you are old, complacent and not paying attention.....Like me. :D

Just kidding of course pal. I guess both has it's advantages. Being young, you're more in tune to the constant changes and easily adapt to those changes. Being old aka...experienced has its advantages and disadvantages too. We've seen it a million times and BTDT a million more. Problem is us old guys really do get complacent and stuck in our ways. Some times in our outdated ways.

Reactions: Luky