What the best way to learn rug cleaning, from home? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What the best way to learn rug cleaning, from home?

Chuck Shew

Jan 12, 2013
Lebanon, TN
Real Name
Chuck Shew
I need to learn a whole lot more about cleaning rugs! I will not be able to attend a class in some far off city. I have looked for videos online and watched a few but is there a great website or DVD program. I have looked over The Rug Chick's website and see she offers a online course. What has helped you guys become cleaning experts?
Chuck

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
Practice, identification, and agitation. If you can't identify a rug assume it is made of wool and clean it accordingly. Don't do pet stains on any natural rugs or you'll end up bying them. Clean with low psi, and a light agitation. Sometimes buying a customers rug, or a piece of carpet is the best way to learn..... I learned that way.

Sent from my LG-D801 using TMF Forums mobile app

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
You can learn about wool and other types of textile fibers in a IICRC upholstery or carpet class. That is a step in the right direction.

I have never taken a rug course but I do clean my share of them. Search web watch videos, search this forum.
Second hand stores, you might find some old rugs for practice. My wife works at a second hand store and brings home some nice wool rugs. I clean them and sell some, sold 1 for 435.00. Not bad for a dump rug!

You get enough under your belt and it's not a big deal. There are do's and don'ts! "you seen those pictures of the rugs getting washed in a brook?"

Reactions: sbsscn

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Also, I would call rug stores and maybe post an ad on craigslist in your area offering free pickup and disposal of unwanted orientals and natural fiber rugs. I wouldnt recomend you do it the way I started. Washing these is the best hands on training. If you were in my state Id hook you up with some of the nasties before they hit my dumpster.

Reactions: timmoore

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Make sure before you do any rugs that your insurance policy covers you specifically for removing the rug from the customers home and cleaning it off-site.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I need to learn a whole lot more about cleaning rugs! I will not be able to attend a class in some far off city. I have looked for videos online and watched a few but is there a great website or DVD program. I have looked over The Rug Chick's website and see she offers a online course. What has helped you guys become cleaning experts?
Chuck
Chuck, lay out a big tarp in your driveway.
Vacuum the top of the rug first really good.
Then flip the rug over and vacuum it for twice as long.
Remove the rug.
Sweep up the sand.
Repeat the process.
Sweep up the dirt again.
Keep doing this until you get barely any dirt.
Do a final vacuum over the top of the rug.
Do a normal pre spray with your wool pre spray and a pump up sprayer if it's a natural woven fiber rug. Let dwell.
Set your heat low or open your bypass a little to keep it from getting hot.
Crank up your amtex...don't let it heat up. Immediately, start water extraction at 300psi.
Do several dry sweeps.
Let dry upside down with blower underneath it. After it dries, post groom with black groomer.

Note...if you want to dry it inside your house, just dry it right side up. It should be fine with the dry time. It will take longer to dry than normal carpet, because wool is more absorbent than synthetic fibers. So don't freak out. Just keep the air moving.

I'm sorry it took me so long to send you something step by step. All I had the last 2 days was my wife's kendel, which can't read my work hand fingers. I can barely type on it.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Chuck, lay out a big tarp in your driveway.
Vacuum the top of the rug first really good.
Then flip the rug over and vacuum it for twice as long.
Remove the rug.
Sweep up the sand.
Repeat the process.
Sweep up the dirt again.
Keep doing this until you get barely any dirt.
Do a final vacuum over the top of the rug.
Do a normal pre spray with your wool pre spray and a pump up sprayer if it's a natural woven fiber rug. Let dwell.
Set your heat low or open your bypass a little to keep it from getting hot.
Crank up your amtex...don't let it heat up. Immediately, start water extraction at 300psi.
Do several dry sweeps.
Let dry upside down with blower underneath it. After it dries, post groom with black groomer.

Note...if you want to dry it inside your house, just dry it right side up. It should be fine with the dry time. It will take longer to dry than normal carpet, because wool is more absorbent than synthetic fibers. So don't freak out. Just keep the air moving.

I'm sorry it took me so long to send you something step by step. All I had the last 2 days was my wife's kendel, which can't read my work hand fingers. I can barely type on it.
Great advice, I would add to it by saying check the rug for colorfastness before doing anything to it so you don't end up with this.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Chuck
Learning rug cleaning at home? Hmm... Well I learned rug cleaning at home by cleaning them on our kitchen floor. That was long before we got a shop though..

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
90 count rug and a vacuum cleaner ain't gonna cut it for dusting! IMO.
I just dusted a 5' x 7' 90 count rug and it took me over 4 hours with a Rug Badger pro.

90 count rugs just went up in price for cleaning!

I started cleaning rugs on my back porch. I'm in Maine so it was seasonal.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

LFC

Premium VIP
Oct 8, 2009
England
www.kleenrightuk.co.uk
Real Name
Mike McNally
Business Location
United Kingdom
I just dusted a 5' x 7' 90 count rug and it took me over 4 hours with a Rug Badger pro
That's 2K well spent.

Chuck
The Rug chick does an online course which I've taken, I wasn't overly impressed with it, as I already had the information in a book called..
A Comprehensive Guide To Oriental & Speciality Rug Cleaning.
So, I can't blame Lisa for that,my own fault, I would say for a newbie it's full of really good tips. Lisa's course that is not the book.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I just dusted a 5' x 7' 90 count rug and it took me over 4 hours with a Rug Badger pro.

90 count rugs just went up in price for cleaning!

I started cleaning rugs on my back porch. I'm in Maine so it was seasonal.
I just drop my royal vacuum down to the lowest setting, where the beater bar vibrates the heck out of it. 10 minutes of that does the job.

And what is a 90 count rug?

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
90 threads per square inch. Very close knit rug and very hard to dust the dirt out of.

You think you have the rug all dusted, take a white piece of paper and with the rug face down beat the rug with a tennis racket. You will see if you have the dirt out.

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
2K for what?
Rug Badger Pro is more like 4 grand. Not worth it but gets the job done.

I took a 24" commercial Castex vacuum and mounted beater bars on it. Still did not measure up to the Badger.

Latest posts