What steps can a business owner do to prevent click fraud on PPC? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What steps can a business owner do to prevent click fraud on PPC?

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I know for a fact some guys in my town are going through and clicking on PPC adds. Google issued me a credit for $48.94 through their automated illegitimate activity detector. Today I was billed for 7 clicks but maybe only one job came from Adwords, I know because I track everything. My usual call to click ratio is about 35-50%.

alexccds

May 25, 2013
Central Coast New South Wales
google.com.au
Real Name
Alex
Business Location
Australia
Negative keywords is the go. We use a software ware that monitors iP address. Every time someone no matter what source goes to site the phone beeps. Google is pretty good at sorting that out. Wasted clicks are from companies trying to sell Seo etc etc once you see repeat iP coming from way past your territories block them eventually that waste settle down too.

Sent from my HTC One X using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: EcoClean

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
I know for a fact some guys in my town are going through and clicking on PPC adds. Google issued me a credit for $48.94 through their automated illegitimate activity detector. Today I was billed for 7 clicks but maybe only one job came from Adwords, I know because I track everything. My usual call to click ratio is about 35-50%.
Ive been thinking about this a lot lately and was actually going to call google and ask them.

I have had several clicks on my google ads for 7 or 8 bucks a pop with no calls.

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
LOL... I had to ask him questions first that I didn't know if he wanted displayed on the thread...

But there are some minor steps to take.

Make sure your ads are focused on a particular city/region
Turn Display Network Off
Focus your Keywords
Contact Google Tech via online chat to ping ip addresses if you see a major increase in your adwords.

Reactions: timmoore

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Something else I discovered. If you can get the ip address of computers that continue to visit your web site you can use ip exclusion on Google Adwords. This might help also. I haven't tried it but I think I might.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Hey Tiffany I'll just respond to your PM here, thanks! I have display networks off and location set to my town only. In my area there is only one town of any note.

What I'd like to find out about is a way to see what IPs are clicking on my adwords and if they are repeats and their frequency. That way I can identify daily clickers and block them.

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
BTW, Will, I have been living in Gardiner - Montana for 18 months. I love Montana - quite place, wonderful nature, nicest people ever!!!
You are really lucky just for the fact that you live there. I really hope to have the chance to retire in Gardiner one day!
See you in 120 years :)

EcoClean

Aug 14, 2013
Real Name
N. Smith
Alex is right, look into Webmaster tools for Google. Sometimes your hosting company will include some kind of control panel to see who has visited your site. The good thing about the internet is everything you do leaves a trail, forever lol. Build enough of a pattern then nail the bastard.

Reactions: alexccds

Dragomir Tonchev

Apr 6, 2013
Montana
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Dragomir Tonchev
Business Location
United States
Hey Tiffany I'll just respond to your PM here, thanks! I have display networks off and location set to my town only. In my area there is only one town of any note.

What I'd like to find out about is a way to see what IPs are clicking on my adwords and if they are repeats and their frequency. That way I can identify daily clickers and block them.
You can try clickmeter.com

troygrout

Aug 18, 2006
www.prestigetilecare.com
Don't worry about the clicks. Google is smart and should only ding your for one click per ip address and you "should" not keep getting dinged for the clicks from losers sitting at home clicking your adds. Also I find best to only activate the adds at certain times of the day and only on certain days. Get better ROI imo.