What spotter would you recommend for removing fake tan stains?

Aussie Bob

Jun 16, 2013
Real Name
Aussie Bob
Hi, my client wants me to remove fake tan stains from her mattress.
she's tried removing it by using Vanish carpet cleaner to no avail. The stain has set in obviously.
Now which one of these spotters would be most effective for this job? (My local supplier sells these.)
I haven't used these products before as I've always used generics with mixed results.
I've ran out of spotters and would like to try brand names this time, hence why I need your help.

HYDRAMASTER KNOCKOUT DYE STAIN REMOVER A&B 946ML (2 PACK)
New and improved Knock Out is a blend of oxygenated and reducing detergents that quickly remove dye stains from synthetic carpets - without heat! This two-part formula becomes active the instant you mix them together. When nothing else will get it out...get Knock Out!
  • New formula is three times stronger
  • A two-part formula, activated the instant it's mixed
  • Permanently removes red dye based stains like wine, soda, juice drinks, coffee, tea and most other dye stains
  • Easy mixing instructions and safe to handle
  • Screened mixing bottle available with measurements and trigger that meets OSHA standards
  • No heat required
  • Available Sizes: quart
Directions:
  1. Pretest for color fastness.
  2. Remove excess soil and spill.
  3. Mix equal amounts of Solution A and Solution B in the pre-screened applicator bottle.
  4. Mix only the amount that you are going to use within the hour for optimum performance.
  5. Spray mixed Knock Out onto the dye stain. Do not over wet.
  6. Blot excess with clean absorbent towel.
  7. Repeat application if trace stain remains.
  8. Self neutralizing formula allows easy spotting maintenance.
  9. Caution: Do not mix with other products.
  10. Discard unused mixed solution after spotting is complete.
  11. Caution: Avoid freezing product.
  12. For best results, follow the standard carpet cleaning practices outlined in IICRC S001.

BRIDGEPOINT TCU TANNIN COFFEE URINE 946ML
TCU Neutralizer is multi-purpose acid detergent spotter and urine neutralizing treatment. As a spotter it is outstanding at removing brown or yellow tannin stains such as from coffee, tea, wine, soft drinks, most beverages, perfume and salt based materials such as many ice melters. Pre-treatment of urine stains with TCU Neutralizer dissolves urine salts for easy removal and perfectly prepares the affected area for treatment with Bio-Modifier or other urine neutralizers. It also aids in the removal of residual yellow stains from urine. Urine Pre-treatment: Saturate affected area, allow to dwell 5 to 15 minutes, agitate, rinse and extract with clear water. Extraction with a Water Claw is ideal.
Spotter: For best results, allow 2 to 3 minutes dwell time.
RTU pH: 2.8-3.5
Dilution Ratio:
Urine Pre-treatment - 1:4 to 1:16 with water depending upon severity.
Spotter - Ready to use.

BRIDGEPOINT COFFEE STAIN REMOVER 0.9KG
This powdered sodium metabisulfite stain remover is ideal as an additive to upholstery cleaning detergents or shampoos to clean white cottons, canvas or Haitian, Tahitian or natural cotton upholstery fabric.This formula brightens white natural fabrics and dramatically reduces the chance of browning. In fact, it can correct browning from previous cleanings. Coffee Stain Remover is also great on coffee stains as well as water and stains on carpet and water safe upholstery.
RTU pH: 4-4.5
Dilution Ratio: Add 1 scoop per RTU Gal. of shampoo or detergent.
PROS CHOICE RED RELEIF A&B 473ML (2 PACK)
Pro's Choice Red Relief A & B - Red Relief is chemistry that removes food dye stains by chemically altering their color to make them invisible.

Dilution:
Red Relief is a 2 part product. Mix equal parts solution “A” and solution “B” for a ready to use solution.

Usage:
1. Clean stained area using hot water extraction.
2. Blot dry with Clean white towel to remove excess moisture from carpet.
3. Mix Red Relief parts A&B in equal parts.
4. Using trigger sprayer wet stained fibers with Red Relief mixture.
5. Cover spot with a moderately wet (excess water squeezed out) terry towel. NOTE: A lightweight cleaning towel folded works well here.
6. Apply steam heat from an iron set at the lowest steam temperature.
7. Check the stain every 30 seconds.
8. When stain has turned to a light yellow or disappeared completely remove heat and towel.
9. Extraction rinse chemical residue away.

PROS CHOICE STAIN MAGIC A&B 473ML (2 PACK)
Pro's Choice Stain Magic A & B - “Stain Magic” is a 2 part stain removal solution that will work magic for you on most stains caused by coffee, urine, tea and many other difficult to remove discoloration. “Stain Magic” chemically alters the stain to simply make it disappear.

Usage:
1. Clean discolored area thoroughly to remove as much contamination as possible.
2. In a clear container, mix equal parts “Stain Magic” solution A with Solution B.
3. Apply mixture to stained area, evenly wetting the discolored fibers ( a trigger sprayer works good for this application).
4. Dwell time. You may see the stain disappear immediately, or it may require up to 8 hours for the chemical reaction to reach completion.
5. Rinse spot with hot water extraction.

Tips and Cautions
Always blot dry fibers to be treated before application of “Stain Magic”.
Always mix fresh solution and use within five minutes.

Covering treated fibers with clear plastic will improve performance.

Always dispose of unused solution.
Never place mixed solution in closed container or pressure will build up and cause container to burst.
Avoid storing product in direct sunlight to prolong shelf life.

Always test inconspicuous area for color fastness before using.
Note: This product can cause discoloration of natural fibers if allowed to dwell for extended periods of time.

Clean-Team

Dec 17, 2011
South Australia
Real Name
Grant Baverstock
Business Location
Australia
Hi there.

Always great to chat with another Aussie. I just did some reading about what the pigment in fake tan chemically is made of and it seems from the research that it's actually a carbohydrate.

Example Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxyacetone

So if this is true then an enzyme cleaner which can break up carbohydrates into sugars would be a good place to start. In particular the enzyme "Amylase" is capable of doing exactly this. I'm not sure which enzymes are contain din Bio Break, but perhaps that's somewhere you could start looking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amylase

There are also cleaners with live bacterial colonies which might be capable of digesting the stain.

The other thing I'd be keen to try is the good old thermal transfer method with some pre-spray on the stain, then cover it with a white towel and use an iron to steam the stain into the towel. This is remarkable effective on a good body of naturally derived stain which carbohydrates certainly fall into.

Hydrogen peroxide and ammonia could be another option.

Grant.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Troyster

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Just googled removing spray tan stains and they recommended 409 or majic eraser. Both have pretty heavy solvents in them. I have to believe our solvents are better e.g. OMS, POG. Just go light. Mist on with trigger sprayer , towel off and extract. Repeat that process and you should make quite a difference.

Brian_g

Jun 1, 2012
Real Name
Brian Gerwels
If I remember right, here's what I used last time:

http://https://shop.truckmountforums.com/matrix-citrus-force-asd.html

I didn't even use it at full strength (don't remember the delusion) and it came out with no problem. If that doesn't work consider POG.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
If I remember right, here's what I used last time:

http://https://shop.truckmountforums.com/matrix-citrus-force-asd.html

I didn't even use it at full strength (don't remember the delusion) and it came out with no problem. If that doesn't work consider POG.
I've tried that on my " tan" and it hasn't worked. Guess I'm stuck with it....;)