longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Not 100% on that but probably around 20. Life would be too easy at 5 or 10. Maybe I'm wrong but I personally don't think an O/O should be earning doctors wages from 1 crew. In business the sky is the limit but I feel $500 a day profit is suffice working by myself.
What????? You don't think you should be earning doctor's wages????? If the MARKET allows it then I say get it! You don't make that day in and day out every day. I know you have slow times that a doctor doesn't have. So, you believe in the communistic business model that limits profitability??????? Someone has to make the money. In my area, it might as well be me making the money.

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I
What????? You don't think you should be earning doctor's wages????? If the MARKET allows it then I say get it! You don't make that day in and day out every day. I know you have slow times that a doctor doesn't have. So, you believe in the communistic business model that limits profitability??????? Someone has to make the money. In my area, it might as well be me making the money.
I believe you should be able to make a hundred Zillion dollars if you are able to. This would take a couple crews of course. But for a one man operation earning doctors wages carpet cleaning, I just don't see it. I have had $1000 + days working alone and I felt everyone got a good deal and a good job but to earn 300,000 a year from a 1 man operation is pretty extreme.

Last edited:

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
Gatorade is a really good case study on pricing... Anyways the theory is you can keep your price the same but decrease the amount of product delivered... Marketing companies do this stuff all the time.

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
Nothing in this world sounds cheaper and lower class than the phrase "whole house special" That"s what every coupon business says. Lets all just never say that again. Just loose it.
I never count vents.. What matters to me is the size of the home. A 3000 square foot home takes all day to walk back and forth to your truck or just to pull your hoses around even if it has relatively few vents. I ask the aprox. square footage and how many rooms on each level, and if they have two systems and if one is in an attic space then I figure how far they live from me and I just give them a price. I go from as low as $285 to $575. As far as three a day I guess you actually wear a track suit. I take about 1.5 hours per level and 1.5 for set up and packing up. I would be exhausted doing even two in a day. Maybe you had a day once where you had all very small jobs schedual at one time but no way you even have forty jobs lined up all the time so that you are out there doing two or three jobs day after day after day. You do a couple a week like the rest of us. And no one charges $35 or $40 per vent. That's how much someone was able to get away with once or twice but we all know customers calla round and you can't quote those prices all day long and you just can hardly keep up with all of the work. Yes please charge me over $1000. bucks. Not happening. Every one in here lies so bad it hurts to read it.

Reactions: Sterling

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Nothing in this world sounds cheaper and lower class than the phrase "whole house special" That"s what every coupon business says. Lets all just never say that again. Just loose it.
I never count vents.. What matters to me is the size of the home. A 3000 square foot home takes all day to walk back and forth to your truck or just to pull your hoses around even if it has relatively few vents. I ask the aprox. square footage and how many rooms on each level, and if they have two systems and if one is in an attic space then I figure how far they live from me and I just give them a price. I go from as low as $285 to $575. As far as three a day I guess you actually wear a track suit. I take about 1.5 hours per level and 1.5 for set up and packing up. I would be exhausted doing even two in a day. Maybe you had a day once where you had all very small jobs schedual at one time but no way you even have forty jobs lined up all the time so that you are out there doing two or three jobs day after day after day. You do a couple a week like the rest of us. And no one charges $35 or $40 per vent. That's how much someone was able to get away with once or twice but we all know customers calla round and you can't quote those prices all day long and you just can hardly keep up with all of the work. Yes please charge me over $1000. bucks. Not happening. Every one in here lies so bad it hurts to read it.
What do you live in pennsyltucky?

Everyone here charges $30 vent , the largest with 7 trucks charges $50. Nothing to lie about.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
$380 is my minimium for furnace and duct cleaning.
This will normally clean a home 1200 sq ft and under ( add $40-$60 if never been cleaned in 10 years plus).

Add $ 20-$30 dollars every 100 sq ft after 1200 sq.
Average house works out to $440 -$460 and takes 3 hours with a two man crew.
Far from Doctors wages Ryan, the Family Physicians in my area of Manitoba make $250-$300 an hour eight hours a day 5 days a week. Take 20% off for overhead and then pay 45% tax and they still net $200K.
I can guarantee in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) Family Physicians bill for more than $600 a day ( closer to 2k).
Please don't compare your income to Doctor's wages .
At your prices you would need to do 10 jobs a day ( 200 month) twelve months in the year.

I know competition is tough in your area, I compete with guys advertising $119 to clean ductwork. They still get the bill to around $200 and are in the home for 1-1/5 hours and on to the next.
Not saying this is you ( blow and go) but I have never seen a thorough job when I come in after a lowballer has been in.
Yes,we as cleaners can tell,homeowner not so much.
They don't look into mains or cold air returns after job is done.
See shit left behind from last duct cleaners all the time.
Areas that were never touched etc.
IMO no one can do a decent job and only charge $200 ( unless they want to work for $50-$60 an hour and take the 3-4 hours that it SHOULD take a solo guy for avg home).
Grant

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
What planet are your customers from? Sears and Direct Energy are the big guns in our area. I've done work for people that have paid them $400 - $600 but they spend mega bucks on advertising and have been around forever.

Like I said, my market is probably the mid class and even the rich cheepos but there are millions of these people and it's much easier to get in the door and I'll never lose my shirt on advertising.
You Just do whatever works for you: on money and time.
If customers are Happy and if they are calling you: keep doing it.
whatever the rest (competence) say: they don't pay you, so It doesn't matter.
I know, one day, when money is not your problem, you probably will start charging more, and you will start being selective, like: this job, yes, that one no, etc.
IMO.

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
I actually laughed at the Pennsyltucky thing and how you managed to down two states at once. I guess we do have some farms here. All I'm saying is that the two story homes here, and yes we go that high here in Pa, have about 25 vents. So your telling me that every last one of your invoices for regular 2000 to 2500 square feet you charged $700 to $900. and your customers just say yes please. No negotiation no checking prices. With just three jobs a week that puts you around $140,000 a year minus just a little fuel for your truck. That's at least Chiropractors wages and I think everyone in here would be hard pressed to say they earn anything near $140,000 a year blowing out vents. If you really push $200,000 a year doing this with one truck then good for you. It gives us all something to shoot for.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I actually laughed at the Pennsyltucky thing and how you managed to down two states at once. I guess we do have some farms here. All I'm saying is that the two story homes here, and yes we go that high here in Pa, have about 25 vents. So your telling me that every last one of your invoices for regular 2000 to 2500 square feet you charged $700 to $900. and your customers just say yes please. No negotiation no checking prices. With just three jobs a week that puts you around $140,000 a year minus just a little fuel for your truck. That's at least Chiropractors wages and I think everyone in here would be hard pressed to say they earn anything near $140,000 a year blowing out vents. If you really push $200,000 a year doing this with one truck then good for you. It gives us all something to shoot for.
Well to be specific i am also talking about using a negative air machine and including the main lines. Here that means dragging that beast into the basement.

Out the door cost is going to be $330-$400 even for a small ranch including all vents, returns, main lines.
Some include furnace some dont.

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I have to deal with that neg air too. I just priced a town home at $375. for next week. I didn't ask how many vents but they usually have about 15 so I am at around $25 per if you count them. It's just that when I get much larger homes if I keep pricing that way it gets to be over $800. in a hurry and that's a little much for most homeowners . I find I have to keep it down around $500 so that's under $20. My neg air is in the truck so I have to drag three or four lengths of hose around. I'm not sure I would want to pull one of those portables up and down a lot of the stairs I've seen.

Shane if you want to try some undercover strips I'll send you out some free. Most guys love them and I got a lot of re orders over the last year. you can e mail an address to me if you want to. glenmarcinc@yahoo.com

Dust-Go

Apr 2, 2013
Real Name
Daniel Kite
So larger homes deserve a discount? That sounds insane. You should never assume your price is too high. If someone can afford a large home, they can also afford to take care of it. What if the home takes all day, still $500? I cleaned duct work in a nice, two story home on Monday. Took almost 9 hours and cost was around $1600. They didn't bat an eye at the price, they wanted a thorough cleaning and to have someone they could trust in their home. Im going back next week to clean all carpet and upholstery. IMO, you should charge what your worth and make a profit. Never be ashamed of making a profit. Again, just my opinion.

Reactions: Truckmounts

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
So larger homes deserve a discount? That sounds insane. You should never assume your price is too high. If someone can afford a large home, they can also afford to take care of it. What if the home takes all day, still $500? I cleaned duct work in a nice, two story home on Monday. Took almost 9 hours and cost was around $1600. They didn't bat an eye at the price, they wanted a thorough cleaning and to have someone they could trust in their home. Im going back next week to clean all carpet and upholstery. IMO, you should charge what your worth and make a profit. Never be ashamed of making a profit. Again, just my opinion.
$1600? Ok here's the deal, you do my marketing, hook me up with 3 $1600 jobs a day and I'll give you $1000 for each one. We can both be millionaires.

I did a job today and the neighbor came by and asked how much. I thought about saying $1600 just to see his expression.

Last edited:

Truckmounts

Nov 26, 2013
Real Name
Norm
We do mainly mold remediation but charge 30-35 per vent or flat rate of 250$ for the air handler and coils and 600 for the ducts and returns and crossovers
For each system we just double it up 1000$ plus jobs are not uncommon
Because we're certified mold contractors and most of the systems here in Florida have mold issues we don't hear any complaints

Most of the low price point duct cleaners get there foot in the door and
Upsell every add on to get to a profitable or semi profitable number

If your trying to make a living off duct cleaning I can see you would need a more attractive competitive price to get work but is the effort involved worth lowballing yourself?

Combining offers or offering free dryer vent cleaning with any duct service or a free room of carpet 100sf or less lets the customer see your work and 9/10 will pick a oversized room you can up charge for the extra sf if you do good work you can turn that into a whole house cleaning or at least the main areas of the house

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
Sure $600 is quite doable with a decent size home and especially being certified for mold remediation and a couple hundred for a good furnace cleaning worth it also. Even doubling to around a thousand is far from $1600 for a one system normal cleaning. Anyone may have a particular customer once or twice in a year that they can get away with higher pricing and go for it if you can but if you were to see a years worth of my invoices they would be in a general price range. If you were to look at a years worth of invoices from the fella above do you figure you would see job after job priced and payed at $1,200 to $1,600, job after job after job grossing near a couple hundred thousand a year or do you think the vast majority would be $300 to $600. Honestly? job after job after job for over a thousand? Or it happened once. Just sayin

Dudley Scott

Oct 2, 2015
Melbourne
Real Name
Dudley Scott
Business Location
Australia
I also think you're selling your services a little cheap. If you're really doing a quality job, you should double the price. You should also think about some marketing campaigns and brand awareness, which will help you gain the attention of more potential clients. You should also emphasize on the importance of your service and why your company is better than the other ones, because nowadays the competition is fierce and you need to stand out somehow.

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree
I'm moving to your town! The market is saturated with duct cleaners in Canada (The Toronto area anyway). Every light post has a Duct Cleaning $99.00 on it. We seem to get shafted up here!
I am just up the road from you and find the same pricing issues you do. The problem i see is that with so many hack companies out there that they have saturated the market and have set customer expectations at a very low level. You should take to note that for every job you do get and are able to show the customer true value compared to your competition that your reputation for honest true value work will spread like wild fire. At the same time they will look back at the last company they hired and be very pissed of at how they got shafted. This experience will make your company irreplaceable for the people that have seen the difference.
All these low priced companies are marketing how good they are so that is what you must focus on to get past all the BS that the potential client hears when looking for a contractor. The best way to do it is one client at a time and the next is with your web site. Price is not the issue because even the worst big name companies charge a high price based on there knowledge that higher prices suggest better quality.

Reactions: Sterling