Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
My target market is home owners (combined income of $75,000 and up).

I have had success with Groupon offering $99.00 specials for 15 vents then $10.00/vent after and have built a decent business for the last 3 years doing so.

My average house has 20 vents which is an additional $50.00.

I want to avoid using Groupon (and the lower class clientele that comes with it). I do want to keep my prices around that mark though.

What do you feel the best deal for a potential customers point of view (say an interested person from Google Adwords)

#1. $199 whole house special includes 20 vents then $5.00 per vent after
#2. $149. Includes 15 vents, $10.00 vent after
#3 $99.00 - Includes 10 vents, $10 vent per after

I want $200 minimum per job. Like I stated above my average house has 20 vents. I don't want to seem like a cheap "blow and go" $99.00 special guy because I do high quality work.

At the same time paying $7.00/click on Google Adwords for the term - duct cleaning (my town) and competing with the big names, I want to secure a sale.

Any thoughts?

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I use truckmounted equipment, 200 psi compressor, all the proper agitation tools needed to get the job done. I hear it over and over how I did a much more superior job than the last guys. I can do 3 a day by myself and $600 gross is pretty good to me. That's doctors wages.

I believe there is a bigger market at those prices and easier to get in the door also.

Reactions: Omar

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
I charge $30-35 a vent, every now and then go down to $25 if it is a strait shot with easy access. 2 air duct jobs a day is though and couldn't imagine doing 3.
I either live in the wrong town, wrong region, wrong province or wrong country. $30 - $35 a vent? There is some heavy competition here. There is no way I could go that high and expect any jobs.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I either live in the wrong town, wrong region, wrong province or wrong country. $30 - $35 a vent? There is some heavy competition here. There is no way I could go that high and expect and jobs.
My main service is carpet cleaning, only about 2 air duct jobs a month.

the organic cleaner

Apr 16, 2014
California and Central Texas
Real Name
Glenn Stewart
I use truckmounted equipment, 200 psi compressor, all the proper agitation tools needed to get the job done. I hear it over and over how I did a much more superior job than the last guys. I can do 3 a day by myself and $600 gross is pretty good to me. That's doctors wages.

I believe there is a bigger market at those prices and easier to get in the door also.
Your pricing is way off! Either that or mine is? For that many vents and that amount of time I'd be able to do 2 completed jobs a day @ $550.00 min per job. And I still think my pricing is too cheap!!!

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
What planet are your customers from? Sears and Direct Energy are the big guns in our area. I've done work for people that have paid them $400 - $600 but they spend mega bucks on advertising and have been around forever.

Like I said, my market is probably the mid class and even the rich cheepos but there are millions of these people and it's much easier to get in the door and I'll never lose my shirt on advertising.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Let me Axe you a question dr. Duct.

How many clicks at $7 a shot will it take to close a sale? 5? 10? Do you know.

Also you think you are getting 750 jobs a year from adwords?

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
Not 100% on that but probably around 20. Life would be too easy at 5 or 10. Maybe I'm wrong but I personally don't think an O/O should be earning doctors wages from 1 crew. In business the sky is the limit but I feel $500 a day profit is suffice working by myself.

the organic cleaner

Apr 16, 2014
California and Central Texas
Real Name
Glenn Stewart
What planet are your customers from? Sears and Direct Energy are the big guns in our area. I've done work for people that have paid them $400 - $600 but they spend mega bucks on advertising and have been around forever.

Like I said, my market is probably the mid class and even the rich cheepos but there are millions of these people and it's much easier to get in the door and I'll never lose my shirt on advertising.
Obviously not from the same planet as yours. See the big difference is that I don't have many customers. What I have are "Clients".
Let me clarify. A customer is someone that does business once maybe twice. A "Client" is someone that does business with me on a continual bases.
Religiously!
I see my clients on average 3-4 times a year. I don't just Market carpet cleaning or duct cleaning. I Market Full Service. Annual service agreement. Stay clean, healthy home.
Now that Sears is at this party, really "Sears"? Who on here can't out clean sears? Maybe it's not about out cleaning sears, or what there advertising budget is. Who cares? It's obvious you can out clean them, since your told how thorough your work is. That's a compliment, by the way.
My point is that when Marketing to what ever income bracket, go for the Gold, get paid for what your worth. Its not about doing quantity it's all about quality and getting paid for that quality. Up sell! Up sell! Up sell! I prequalify my time and price, and I still up sell. Even in a lower income area, Get Paid!

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Not 100% on that but probably around 20. Life would be too easy at 5 or 10. Maybe I'm wrong but I personally don't think an O/O should be earning doctors wages from 1 crew. In business the sky is the limit but I feel $500 a day profit is suffice working by myself.
20 clicks x $7 = $140. Per job
You are only charging $200.

That's $60 left over.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Ryan, I'd just like to add my 2 pennys. As a 32+ year veteran in the business world; I see and hear people talk all the time about how they can't raise their prices or they will loose work. How their competition will get their customers or how the competition charges such and such a price. Look; if you want to work for less that is fine and I certainly won't knock you for doing so but; there is no reason for it. You are in business to make money.
There is still the perception that price dictates quality. If what you say is true "I hear it over and over how I did a much more superior job than the last guys." ; then why aren't you charging what you are worth? After all you and I can't have all the customers; so lets go after the ones that value our services and are willing to pay.
There are a few types of customers out there and you will need to pick which ones you want.
One says "if it is cheap enough I will go ahead and do it". The next one says " I really like having a clean home and I'm going to find someone who can provide that at a reasonable price." It takes a little sorting, but in time we can find that customer that we desire. The one that "likes" us and will "pay" us. That is the customer I look for and even they squawk about the price sometimes but (like I said) they value our services.
Price often determines the type of customer we end up with and it has been my experience that cheap only brings a lower caliber customer when the higher caliber customer is what it takes to run a successful business.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Nothing wrong with the $200 starting point but lower the number of vents included to 8-10
Then charge more for additional PER vent to like $20 or something.

You should be compensated for a home with 20 vents versus one with 10.

Here everyone runs the $300 for 10 vent special.

Sterling

Aug 19, 2013
York Region
www.sterlingcnr.com
Real Name
Ryan Sterling
Business Location
Canada
Nothing wrong with the $200 starting point but lower the number of vents included to 8-10
Then charge more for additional PER vent to like $20 or something.

You should be compensated for a home with 20 vents versus one with 10.

Here everyone runs the $300 for 10 vent special.
I'm moving to your town! The market is saturated with duct cleaners in Canada (The Toronto area anyway). Every light post has a Duct Cleaning $99.00 on it. We seem to get shafted up here!