What size generator for portable carpet cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What size generator for portable carpet cleaning

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have had an ETM for 34 years, way before there was an ETM.

Back in the day I had 2 generators in the van, on a stacked shelf, at the side door of the van. Both were 5K sets, so they provided plenty of juice to run 2 separate vacuum systems and a Cat 290 pump, and an LG 3HT for heat. I used 2 steel drums for waste tanks and cleaned quite successfully for years. Along the way I also purchased a gasoline truckmount from Cleaning Technologies, which I still use today after some heavy modifications to run dual wands (now in its third van).

I have had my current ETM for just under 20 years. I use a Honda 10,000 watt genset in the van, with a fan directed to the generator head to keep it cool. It has 4 separate 20 amp circuits which are plenty of power for 4 vac motors (dual wands), a Cat 290 and PumpTec 207 pumps (higher PSI Cat for tile and grout and/or dual wands).

Get a generator bigger than you think you will need!

Mar 2, 2017
Real Name
larry snyder
Picked up this Powerhorse Portable Inverter Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, from northern tool.....on sale now 449.00....Thing works great for fans lights ect....you can also hook two together to double watts...one pull....so nice...and super quiet....and light.... (y)

Attachments

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Ok so the next question is for my new pro master what's the best flooring I can install? Wood no good, currently I have the heavy duty rubber matt in my mini van.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My .02 we have had a 1/2 dz different van floors over the years. Our best to date is white smooth durabak marine coating on the van floor and up the sides 6" and black rubber interlocking anti-fatigue mats from the home center over it. The floor won't rust, any water dries quickly, nothing moves in transit and sticks like glue to the rubber mats.

20190718_221354.jpg

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
My generator is pretty close to my extractor. But I always run a fan on my gen set. Haven't had any heating issues, even in 35-40c weather.
How do you secure your portable? Do you use the same portable for high rises? That's what I plan to do.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
How do you secure your portable? Do you use the same portable for high rises? That's what I plan to do.

Its strapped down. To the roof, a couple large loops bolted into floor and the partition.

Make sure you use the heavy duty straps. It won't move using regular ones but if you got rear ended don't want it moving.

I use it as a portable in apartments as well. Unhook 3 straps and disconnect two hoses and you can pull it out.

Reactions: Fedri

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
How do you pull the matts underneath of the bolted equipment? That must be challenging.
The whole empty vans floor has durabak, we then installed the TM, waste tank and vac reel. The mats were put in next, we even fit them around and under the bolted in hose reel. The mats are easy to pop out and great to pull out and throw on the ground to work on something next to the van. Very soft and cushiony.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Its strapped down. To the roof, a couple large loops bolted into floor and the partition.

Make sure you use the heavy duty straps. It won't move using regular ones but if you got rear ended don't want it moving.

I use it as a portable in apartments as well. Unhook 3 straps and disconnect two hoses and you can pull it out.
hmm nice, so one strap tied to the ceiling, one to the floor and one to the partition, and all of this holding the machine.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
@Fedri bed rug is great for vibration dampening and noise reduction, pond liner also works.

If your not worried about vibration or sound issues then rhino line the whole floor and up the sides about 1ft. Its around $1k to have a shop do it. Bed rug is made to fit your specific model, outdoor carpet on top and rubber backing... it comes cut to fit and is corrugated on the back to match your van floor

Its about $250. We have it in our express van and nv3500. After 3yrs or so when it gets old its really easy to just replace it, amazon has them

Reactions: Ymetimme and Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
@Fedri bed rug is great for vibration dampening and noise reduction, pond liner also works.

If your not worried about vibration or sound issues then rhino line the whole floor and up the sides about 1ft. Its around $1k to have a shop do it. Bed rug is made to fit your specific model, outdoor carpet on top and rubber backing... it comes cut to fit and is corrugated on the back to match your van floor

Its about $250. We have it in our express van and nv3500. After 3yrs or so when it gets old its really easy to just replace it, amazon has them
Thanks buddy, I will consider the options.

Reactions: ACP

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
In order to add integrity and sound deadening to our van floors, we follow the same procedure for the last 5 vans we have had.

Remove the rubber van floor covering with insulation on the back. Lay it to the side. Purchase a roll of 40# roofing felt to create a pattern for the 3/4" marine or pressure treated plywood. Lay the pattern on the floor after cutting the plywood. Tape the joints and screw the plywood down with SS screws after pre-drilling pilot hole, screws long enough to penetrate the floor ribs but nothing else. Tape the joints with Gorilla tape. Reinstall the original rubber van floor covering and proceed to install truckmount equipment.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
In order to add integrity and sound deadening to our van floors, we follow the same procedure for the last 5 vans we have had.

Remove the rubber van floor covering with insulation on the back. Lay it to the side. Purchase a roll of 40# roofing felt to create a pattern for the 3/4" marine or pressure treated plywood. Lay the pattern on the floor after cutting the plywood. Tape the joints and screw the plywood down with SS screws after pre-drilling pilot hole, screws long enough to penetrate the floor ribs but nothing else. Tape the joints with Gorilla tape. Reinstall the original rubber van floor covering and proceed to install truckmount equipment.
Kinda what i did. But i didnt screw it down. I used tongue & groove and glued joints together with PL. But i do have the old seat bolts i used to hold ply from moving around. Just the rear 2 bolts were good enough. I cant stand van ribs. They destroy my knees and cant get anything to stand flat on them. Good idea of removing then setting mat on top. That will help keep floor insulated.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
...and speaking about generators, they all have more power available than the front panel is distributing. In addition to the 220VAC outlets, you usually have a few 110V outlets on the generator front panel, but you don't know which leg of the 220V power they are on.

I solved that problem by making a pigtail that plugs into the large 220V outlet, so now you know how to separate the 2 legs into individual circuits on separate legs.

I use a SquareD 2 position box with 2 -20amp 110V tandem SquareD circuit breakers. This gives me 4 -20 amp circuits, 2 on each of the 2 legs.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Like 9 hours on a tank roughly. 25-30$ Canadian to fill it up.
ohh you are a Canadian nice, so its about 2-3 an hour, I also did a calculation using the propane tank and it was the same amount. I get my propane from costco for cheap, they fill my barbecue size tank for 9 bucks that I use for my little giant heater.

I was planning to use the generator on busy days so I can move quicker, however single job days I can just plug 2-3 cords and finish it that way to save some money.

Reactions: Ymetimme