What size generator for portable carpet cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What size generator for portable carpet cleaning

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Had a briggs 7000 running, put a few hundred hours on it without a problem at all. Recently upgradeed to a 9000 watt 11250 peak Champion generator. Been very happy so far. Would recommend either brand.

shawnwatson23

Jul 17, 2019
Real Name
Shawn Watson
When I first started, I had a predator generator 7000! That's a good starting point. You can always change and upgrade later

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Put together wattage and give yourself some leeway , so you can add something else and have some extra watts to spare. Also remember that electric induction is rapidly changing for worse as motors are getting worn out, especially when they get wet, abused, etc. If you thinking more ETM than portable, start with 10 KW generator, maybe even stronger. On the other hand, is your portable strong enoug to give you desired performance while operating from the van?
Numbers don't lie, so plan wisely. Consider different scenarios, plan it out loudly in your head and try to imagine, what goals you want to reach with your equipment. Perhaps you come to conclusion that you're craving for TM. And that's coming from the guy who went trough 4 of the ETM's in 10 years.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
We're trying to revive 2 years old posting, guy went back to his full time job and forgot about portable , haha ..

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I am planning to add a generation, I was thinking to drill a hole on the floor of the vehicle and plum the vent down there and let it vent that way any suggestions doing this, also where can I get the vent plumbing gadgets for this? Anything that I should be careful with?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I am planning to add a generation, I was thinking to drill a hole on the floor of the vehicle and plum the vent down there and let it vent that way any suggestions doing this, also where can I get the vent plumbing gadgets for this? Anything that I should be careful with?
Exhaust?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I just lined an elbow off the generator and made sure the hole in the floor wasn't over anything. Drilled a hole and ran the exhaust through it. Made sure to wrap the pipe in insulation so it wasn't a melt hazard and used dome brackets to bolt it in.

Was pretty simple honestly. Make sure you use lock washers as the engine vibration will won't to shake out bolts.

I just ran it straight down under the van. Haven't had a problem yet and really made a difference

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I just lined an elbow off the generator and made sure the hole in the floor wasn't over anything. Drilled a hole and ran the exhaust through it. Made sure to wrap the pipe in insulation so it wasn't a melt hazard and used dome brackets to bolt it in.

Was pretty simple honestly. Make sure you use lock washers as the engine vibration will won't to shake out bolts.

I just ran it straight down under the van. Haven't had a problem yet and really made a difference
This is exactly what I am talking about. Please take a picture if you have the time. Are you running an etm as well?

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

Also, what kind of elbow are we talking about?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Use sweeping bends. Not right angles. Over size hole on floor. Mount bracket that will keep pipe centered in hole. Also use flex pipe to mount from engine. Vibration will snap bolts and pipe.

You will need to still keep door open for combustion air and cooling. Engine is air cooled pulling air over block and gen itself.
Your probably better off rigging a cover that can be extended over barn doors for rain/snow. Ladder racks make a good base for this.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Use sweeping bends. Not right angles. Over size hole on floor. Mount bracket that will keep pipe centered in hole. Also use flex pipe to mount from engine. Vibration will snap bolts and pipe.

You will need to still keep door open for combustion air and cooling. Engine is air cooled pulling air over block and gen itself.
Your probably better off rigging a cover that can be extended over barn doors for rain/snow. Ladder racks make a good base for this.
Excellent point thanks

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I used car exhaust pipe. As you can see there is a tear in the metal. That was from it shaking a bolt till it jammed half out and I could not get it out to reset it. Ended up cutting my hand and just rage pulled the bolt out of the steel with vice grips lol.

Got better brackets and lock washers. Lesson learned. It's been solid since. Minus me not using lock washers the first time it's been perfect. It gets hot but not enough to melt anything.

Attachments

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I used car exhaust pipe. As you can see there is a tear in the metal. That was from it shaking a bolt till it jammed half out and I could not get it out to reset it. Ended up cutting my hand and just rage pulled the bolt out of the steel with vice grips lol.

Got better brackets and lock washers. Lesson learned. It's been solid since. Minus me not using lock washers the first time it's been perfect. It gets hot but not enough to melt anything.
Thank you. Here is a question for both of you and Nick. I have decided to lease a 2019 pro master, I gave some thought on this, how about having my portable on the side and right beside my portable I would like to place my generator, I will have a dual fuel so I can burn propane. Do you think having the generator is a good idea on the side right beside my portable?

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Also I don't know if its a good idea but a rainy day if I end up closing the doors not shut completely but leave some gap at the door, in this case I can have a built in fan that will fan towards the gen.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Nick have also suggested to have a some kind of a cover which I do, to place that cover on top of the barn doors for the rain not to get inside, but this is if I end up putting the gen at the back.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
For the summer months you should leave room on the generator to run a fan to keep the cargo area cool, the motor and generator head cool namely. Heat around any equipment is your enemy and as ambient operating temps increase equipment component longevity proportionately decreases. Gas powered, electric powered, doesn't matter. I see cleaning vans with running TM's packed full of gear with no way to properly aspirate... This is not the way equipment is meant to be used. Just plan for cross ventilation in the proper direction and give enough room for it to happen is my best advice.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
For the summer months you should leave room on the generator to run a fan to keep the cargo area cool, the motor and generator head cool namely. Heat around any equipment is your enemy and as ambient operating temps increase equipment component longevity proportionately decreases. Gas powered, electric powered, doesn't matter. I see cleaning vans with running TM's packed full of gear with no way to properly aspirate... This is not the way equipment is meant to be used. Just plan for cross ventilation in the proper direction and give enough room for it to happen is my best advice.
Ok great, I will have a strong fan inside moving that air, I will do a lot of testing at home after my installation before I start servicing customers. Generator is something new to me and I need the best advice and some testing of my own before I roll.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you put the exhaust through the van floor consider using another car muffler under the vehicle and don't direct it at the pavement, but towards the front of the vehicle and to the side. Most guys like to back into the driveway and pointing exhaust away from the structure is better for everyone and not at the pavement reduces noise further. Speaking from experience here.