john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
I am probably going to start doing carpet cleaning 4 a real estate agent and will need to run off a generator what size generator would I need for running a portable set-up TIA

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Need to know machine and model 1st. More important the total amp draw. Then you can calculate the size gen needed. Is it a 2 cord machine?

Reactions: john martinez

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
Need to know machine and model 1st. More important the total amp draw. Then you can calculate the size gen needed. Is it a 2 cord machine?
No it's a single cord Mytee Speedster cold water 18 amps. The only time I might exceed the 18 amps is if I'm running two bucket heaters @ the same time.

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
1st rule of a generator - you can't have too much generator. The lower the load vs rated, the longer it'll last, the better efficiency you'll get.

In order to run 18amps on 1 110 volt outlet, you'll need 2000watts. Bucket heaters are a large load, I would estimate them at 18 amps as well, and that means you'll need 6000 watts to run all three. That's a big generator, most are marketed as "peak power" but you'll need one that can maintain 6000 watts continuous if you plan to run bucket heaters.

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
1st rule of a generator - you can't have too much generator. The lower the load vs rated, the longer it'll last, the better efficiency you'll get.

In order to run 18amps on 1 110 volt outlet, you'll need 2000watts. Bucket heaters are a large load, I would estimate them at 18 amps as well, and that means you'll need 6000 watts to run all three. That's a big generator, most are marketed as "peak power" but you'll need one that can maintain 6000 watts continuous if you plan to run bucket heaters.
PhilipW thanks for the feedback maybe I'll just run 1 bucket heater and go with a 5,000 watt unit. HD has a 5,000 watt Brigg's & Stratton for $600.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you can get the total watts from specs that be great. But another way is to add up total amp draw. Then tAke that number multiply it by 120v. Answer will be total watts. Then take total watts divide .80 = running watt gen you should use. (Dont look at surge watt only running watt) Remember you are limited to usually 2 circuits on a gen. Unless you use the 230v 4 prong and divide circuits up.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
2 bucket heaters are going to be an issue. Ide use one on one circuit and the other circuit for machine.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Probably that one machine and one heater assuming its 1000w bucket heater. 4500w gen. To be safe rent one and try it. Then decide. if its bogging down youll need larger one.

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Any experience with the Predator 7,000 running watt generator from HFT? 93% on the website would recommend it.
The Predator generators are supposed to be a great bang for the buck - I have not tried them personally. Another option, if you have a Tractor Supply near you, my local one had the Generac brand 5500w (continuous) on sale for 749. This is a dual fuel (propane or gas) and Generac is a great brand name.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I do recommend the predator generator 7000 continuous watt works great. I ran one for 2 years before it broke. Everyday for 6 hours that is pretty good

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Any experience with the Predator 7,000 running watt generator from HFT? 93% on the website would recommend it.
I hear Predator engines are really good they have cast iron heads. I have a champion generator 3500 running watts 4000 peak. That machine has lasted 10 years. The pull starter broke about 6 years back so now we use a portable drill to start it. I have a mytee cs2001 or 02 it has I think a 1600 watt heater. 3 stage vac and 120 psi pump. It will run all of them but it really bogs it down reslly bad. So I just don't use the heater. And make up for it with chemical. Also had a 6500 watt bridges and Stratton generator which ran it really good though. But really loud and a more gas.

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
I hear Predator engines are really good they have cast iron heads. I have a champion generator 3500 running watts 4000 peak. That machine has lasted 10 years. The pull starter broke about 6 years back so now we use a portable drill to start it. I have a mytee cs2001 or 02 it has I think a 1600 watt heater. 3 stage vac and 120 psi pump. It will run all of them but it really bogs it down reslly bad. So I just don't use the heater. And make up for it with chemical. Also had a 6500 watt bridges and Stratton generator which ran it really good though. But really loud and a more gas.
The engines are awesome! a guy i know, his father runs a small engine repair/ lawn equipment/ power equipment repair business here in town. he said 90% of the parts swap with the honda engine of the same size. they are clones of the honda engine. i have had two of the 7000 watt predator generators. the engines never die. they start up quickly and always start up very dependable. on my first predator generator the generator power head failed after 2 years. the engine still ran as good as the day i got it new. my second one i have ran it for 6 months powered my quad vac ETM from my astro van for 6 months with it. still is like new condition. i ended up getting a good deal on the small 14 hp 33 blower truckmount and ended up getting a predator 420cc engine (14hp) from harbor freight for $339 and i replaced the Briggs V twin oil leaker that was on it with the predator engine.. that is so cheap that it is a disposable engine. it runs awesome, very dependable engines!

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
The engines are awesome! a guy i know, his father runs a small engine repair/ lawn equipment/ power equipment repair business here in town. he said 90% of the parts swap with the honda engine of the same size. they are clones of the honda engine. i have had two of the 7000 watt predator generators. the engines never die. they start up quickly and always start up very dependable. on my first predator generator the generator power head failed after 2 years. the engine still ran as good as the day i got it new. my second one i have ran it for 6 months powered my quad vac ETM from my astro van for 6 months with it. still is like new condition. i ended up getting a good deal on the small 14 hp 33 blower truckmount and ended up getting a predator 420cc engine (14hp) from harbor freight for $339 and i replaced the Briggs V twin oil leaker that was on it with the predator engine.. that is so cheap that it is a disposable engine. it runs awesome, very dependable engines!
Dude the 3500 watt to 4000 watt power heads last forever . My 5500 watt to 6000 Coleman died on me last year. But my champion 3500 to 4000 watt is a trooper man. I'm just waiting for it to die and it still starts and runs perfect.

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
I've heard that about the Predator how it's similar to the Honda I actually found a NIB Westinghouse on CL and since I read a bunch of positive reviews on the wh7500e I decided to take a closer look it turned out the unit had been sold on Amazon and @ some point en route to it's destination the quart of oil inside the box popped and oil soaked through the cardboard. Of the customer wouldn't take delivery and Amazon wouldn't take it back. I'll update anyone who cares house she runs after a job w/o power. Stay safe & always maintain situational awareness cleaner dudes and dudetts.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My 10000 w champions work pretty good it's dual fuel I love running it on propane but it brings it down to 7000 Watts still works fine

Latest posts