What should I do | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What should I do

keegs

Sep 3, 2012
Real Name
DJ Keegan
I just look at a dealership service department. They wanted me to quote them on cleaning the concrete floors in the service area. I thinking I should use a hot water system, but want should I use for cleaning all the oil & grease, should I scrub or diamond cut? Please help

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Does the concrete have any sort of sealer on it, and if so what kind of shape is it in? That could make a difference.

If it's sealed, and the sealer is in good shape (I know, pipe dreams, but who knows - miracles do happen!), a simple scrub, tile-spinner, or pressure-wash with appropriate chems should do the trick.

If it's not sealed, or the sealer is broken down, the job gets trickier.

keegs

Sep 3, 2012
Real Name
DJ Keegan
Does the concrete have any sort of sealer on it, and if so what kind of shape is it in? That could make a difference.

If it's sealed, and the sealer is in good shape (I know, pipe dreams, but who knows - miracles do happen!), a simple scrub, tile-spinner, or pressure-wash with appropriate chems should do the trick.

If it's not sealed, or the sealer is broken down, the job gets trickier.
I don't think it is sealed, it's been many of years since the last company tried cleaning it. The floors are pretty dirty.
20190718_084330~2.jpg
20190718_084326~2.jpg
20190718_084407~2.jpg

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I just used that kleen concrete cleaner(powdered) as a test at a mechanics shop with my pressure washer. Turned out really well. Might be able to help with the oil stains.

You collecting this water or do they have drainage?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Figure I'll add a picture to show how it came out.

20190717_172823.jpg
20190717_172817.jpg
20190717_183954.jpg
20190717_183956.jpg
20190717_184012.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
There is 19000sqf of concrete they want cleaned
Looks like bare concrete. You can make it look a lot better but don’t promise them you can make it look like new.

Reactions: Mama Fen

thumper@twow.com

Sep 19, 2010
Yorba Linda
www.mjmcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
mike mitts
Business Location
United States
I've done them Scott. This is what I used
Pour full strength into hydra force set at 4 to 1. Let sit on concrete about 10 minutes important...get a cheap dolly kit for your spinner and highest heat and preasure you can run. After I did it a few times I ordered a steel brush for my rotor scubber. That really made things look fantastic. The zep purple works great though...it a huge amount of buytle. 37.00 for 5 gal at home depot.
Good luck
Mike
zep-degreasers-zu08565g-64_1000.jpg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Like Todd said, don't promise to make it perfect. That floor, if unsealed, has been left to get seriously soiled for a very long time. You will certainly be able to improve it, but don't expect miracles.

Heavy butyl degreasers (like the Purple Power) will be quite useful. You may also add some d-limonene or other citrus-based terpenes to make it smell better (and they will help tremendously with the cleaning as well). Dwell time will help a lot also, just don't let anything dry on the surface before you work it.

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR RESPIRATORY PROTECTION.
Butyls can be nasty wicked things in high doses, and you're going to be working with a fairly large amount in this situation. Even at "end consumer" concentration, the volume of it you're going to have to decant may make it rather uncomfortable.

Reactions: Ymetimme

keegs

Sep 3, 2012
Real Name
DJ Keegan
Thanks Guys, I am taking in all this info and trying to make a game plan

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, heh, but the Zep product shown above is less that 5% 2-bu, and less than 15% total active ingredients; the rest is plain old purple water. Try looking at some of the more professional concentrated concrete cleaners available in our industry, with active ingredients of 40% or more, and compare your actual cost to use them versus the Zep. You might surprise yourself.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, heh, but the Zep product shown above is less that 5% 2-bu, and less than 15% total active ingredients; the rest is plain old purple water. Try looking at some of the more professional concentrated concrete cleaners available in our industry, with active ingredients of 40% or more, and compare your actual cost to use them versus the Zep. You might surprise yourself.
I like a hillyard product quite a bit. It has in insane dilution ratio for 1 oz per gallon for light use up to 10 ounces per gallon for extreme use it already has de Lima mean added
Also there's some great powdered compounds that have even more bang for the buck.
Once again your voice of wisdom @Mama Fen: