What psi? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What psi?

SWAGMAN

May 26, 2015
Australia
Real Name
Steven Ladd
Hi 1st choice , I very my psi its depends on what type of fiber I'm clean , But the most I use is 450 on a heavy wool carpet , 3 350 on a nylon and under 250 on a CGD , so to be sure of a sussufull clean you need to very your psi , depending Of the job.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Hi 1st choice , I very my psi its depends on what type of fiber I'm clean , But the most I use is 450 on a heavy wool carpet , 3 350 on a nylon and under 250 on a CGD , so to be sure of a sussufull clean you need to very your psi , depending Of the job.
I also have 2 wands with different flow set ups I use depending on the job

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Mine is set at 500 psi and it never changes for carpet and upholstery. I turn it up to 1000 psi for t&g.

Reactions: alexus

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It depends a lot on what wand you are using. With my old prochem quad jet 400 psi was about right. With my current wand 500-700 psi works good depending on the carpet.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
Cleaning carpet with more than 400 psi and we are likely getting the backing wet. True glue down carpet
obviously can't handle those high pressures but even a heavy residential nylon can be damaged with pressure
obove 400 psi. Some portables may be set at 500 psi but when you key the wand it goes down to 300 psi. To
a large extent this has to do with the jets we are using . The bigger jets cause the pressure to fall more than
smaller ones. With my CA Jaguar 6.6 I usually ran mine at 350 with two 11002 jets.

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
300 psi quad jet wand 200degree heat and 335 cfm & 13hg, my recipe for success!!

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
Hi, also need to keep in mind the size and length of the solution hose you are running. Long length runs drop psi at the tool alot!!
I think if you look at the hose to pressure chart at cat pumps site you will see what I mean. On 1/4" hose, for every 50' of run it looses at least 50 psi. As the hose length gets longer the drop in pressure and flow is more significant. We run a Butler with live reels on 1/4" line of 150'. I think the drop from the machine to the valve is something along the lines of about 180 psi or something near that. That is alot of pressure loss!

We run the butler at 500psi normally at the machine on a 15" 5 jet wand. It cleans great and has short dry times as well.

Just saying, need to keep things in perspective with pressures being ran.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: tonyk
Feb 21, 2015
Real Name
Stephen Proulx
There is a lot of talk of PSI, a lot of very smart comments and technicians out there, I am wondering if you guys feel psi is all that important when it come to dirty to the eye carpet, I only do residential, reason I ask is because I currently prespray heavily and crb the carpet for scrubbing and agitation and then clean with my 220 psi diaphragm pump which I tested psi at 150 psi with 2 jet wand 02 jets and zipper not sure exact psi due to 5 1.5 jets, but I do get good results, so is psi really all that important or is it the tool, chemical and agitation more important, I would like your guys thoughts on this