What % of gross does your advertising run at? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What % of gross does your advertising run at?

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Realize this; that you have an infinite amount of $ to spend on marketing as long as its profitable.

Look at it from an ROI standpoint and not a % of this, that or the other.

Being busy is good. Being profitable is better.

If I offered to give you $1 for every .25cents you exchanged with me, how many of those deals would you take?

Marketing is no different. You are essentially buying money at a discount... That is as long as the source is keeping you profitable and not just busy.
Its just honing in on the right group of strategies that is always the issue. There are likely more threads on that subject than almost anything else I'm guessing. Its only unlimited as you say, as long as you get a ROI of your dollar spend or time served walking door to door. I have played with adwords this last 12 months and thats now giving me good results. I do want to do a better job of getting higher in the organic listings as well and will focus on that. Flyers will be big for me this coming year I think, and a new Town to get into.
I will be cancelling my appointment with my rep and cutting the YP ties.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Its just honing in on the right group of strategies that is always the issue. There are likely more threads on that subject than almost anything else I'm guessing. Its only unlimited as you say, as long as you get a ROI of your dollar spend or time served walking door to door. I have played with adwords this last 12 months and thats now giving me good results. I do want to do a better job of getting higher in the organic listings as well and will focus on that. Flyers will be big for me this coming year I think, and a new Town to get into.
I will be cancelling my appointment with my rep and cutting the YP ties.
YES!!!!

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Yes to all my ideas Shane, and/or the giving up YP?
Giving up the YP, those numbers were just too bad.

I dont expect magic overnight but you gave them a fair shake, IMO.
Like the barber says... NEXT!

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Your #1 Marketing strategy should be cementing the relationships you currently have in place with your clients and strategic partners that refer you, while simultaneously and AGGRESSIVELY acquiring new strategic partners

Reactions: aloha one

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
OK, so I did meet with my YP rep.
Here is what I have learned
I had a total of 431 "Interactions" of which 239 viewed my details and the rest is broken down as earlier in the thread. Add to that and educated guess of 8 calls from the actual book per month.
So at best I got 527 "lead opportunities" (my term, not his) from YP online and print for an average cost of $20.00 per lead, but not $20 per call.
Since the last post here and today, I have tried to come up with a better way to track the YP online stuff and best I can come up with is a dedicated landing page for the link out from YP online (if indeed I do renew). At least then I can track it through Google analytics. The down side is I am into it for another year and I figure I can make better use of 10k.
I know I am labouring this but I want to be quite certain I have explored all possibilities before turfing them.

Does anyone that uses YP AND tracks it have suggestions that I can use to improve my conversion of interactions to calls. Not defending YP but in fairness to them, they got me the interactions, its up to me to convert them.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Stephen, I too WASTED not 10 but 14,00.00 with them and their Statistical BULL SHIT. You can do alot more for the money, Direct mailers, etc.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I had a total of 431 "Interactions" of which 239 viewed my details and the rest is broken down as earlier in the thread. Add to that and educated guess of 8 calls from the actual book per month.
So at best I got 527 "lead opportunities" (my term, not his) from YP online and print for an average cost of $20.00 per lead, but not $20 per call.
Since the last post here and today, I have tried to come up with a better way to track the YP online stuff and best I can come up with is a dedicated landing page for the link out from YP online (if indeed I do renew). At least then I can track it through Google analytics. The down side is I am into it for another year and I figure I can make better use of 10k.
I know I am labouring this but I want to be quite certain I have explored all possibilities before turfing them.

Does anyone that uses YP AND tracks it have suggestions that I can use to improve my conversion of interactions to calls. Not defending YP but in fairness to them, they got me the interactions, its up to me to convert them.
Dood

Run a zone or 2 in valpak or a money saver magazine for the same cash.
You will get much better returns. Guaranteed

Another question
We book 2-3 jobs a month from YP
But we do NOT pay a dime.
How many of those "views" and "leads" would you have gotten if you did NOT pay for an account them????
Would those views still be there????

Smoke and mirrors.
Commit the same dollars to a new ad source and stick with it for 6 mos. repeating your ad or a variation of it in the same place month after month. You will do much, much better that giving the YP clowns your cash.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Usually a combination of the two.YP has No Shame, they'll suck yer wallet dry anyway they can!

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
How does that work? Is it the online equivalent of the line listing in the book?
No we just have a free listing.
We do have some good reviews on our listing which helps as well.
Make sure you have it filled out fully.
We get a call about once a month from the YP sales staff. They report similar stats to what you are telling us about for my free listing. Then they go on to say that if I paid they could improve on that. We politely decline.

Here is the link to our listing on YP.com

http://www.yellowpages.com/columbus-oh/mip/clean-extreme-474529381?lid=474529381

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States

Its not 527 "lead opportunities".
I bet 4/5 were marketers, nigerians and competitors.

Look at estimates, either phone or online and then sales.
Disregard these numbers because you have no clue who it is...

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Its not 527 "lead opportunities".
I bet 4/5 were marketers, nigerians and competitors.

Look at estimates, either phone or online and then sales.
Disregard these numbers because you have no clue who it is...
Yeah, I can take those out from the numbers I have seen and reduce the number, but not by much, surprisingly.
I guess I am getting nervy about this only because I have been so used to doing this as "hands off" advertising and just assuming it worked and not giving much thought to where my work IS actually getting to me. I have to have more faith in my own ability and that a large part of my current business is repeats and existing clients/contracts.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I just made the decision and emailed YP to cancel all my ads.
Now I better browse over to the marketing side of things and get started on that!

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
...and the interesting thing is my rep has not emailed me. When I was about to part with my money he was all over me. Now, nothing.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
UPDATE
Got a call from the Director of sales for Alberta.
Dont want to lose me as a customer.
DO WANT to halve my current pricing AND add in call tracking PLUS give me better exposure online and in mobile ads.
Total monthly cost is $450 and I am NOT locked into a 12 month contract on the online and mobile but would be on the print.
Works out about half each for print and mobile/online.
I think I might do it.
It still gives me an amount to use for other ads.
I figure the additional exposure through mobile and online plus larger print ad might bring me $35k/12 = $2900 for $450 invested.

This is what I got back when I asked the question about lead generation

Your current program generated 22 mobile calls, and I would estimate 128 calls from desktop based on national standards, I cannot give you a call statistic for print as it stands. We are increasing your presence on mobile, so those calls will be higher, and we are reducing your cost. Therefore, your lead generation is increasing and your cost per lead is going down.

Your thoughts on this new development?

lmullica

Dec 27, 2009
Johnston, Iowa
www.mullicacarpetcare.com
Real Name
Larry Mullica
Business Location
United States
Yellow Page users are old people and poor people. I believe I read that on this forum somewhere years ago. Everyone else uses their computer when making buying decisions,

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Yellow Page users are old people and poor people. I believe I read that on this forum somewhere years ago. Everyone else uses their computer when making buying decisions,
Most people are using their mobile connected device (that contatc me) and are getting there by the YP app or by clicking the yp link that appears is the google organic listings. That accounted for some of my "google" search results.