what melts carpet?

Mike Jones

Jun 8, 2011
we cleaned a commercial carpet saturday. monday the customer reported white spots that looked like something was dripped in one area and melted the carpet. This is not bleach. We don't use bleach or anything that would bleach the carpet. The fibers are actually melted and the white is the backing i believe. Our wand was dripping at the trigger during that job for awhile but I've never seen dripping carpet cleaning solution melt fibers (we are going back Saturday with same machine CDS 4.6 truck mount and will loosen the connection that was dripping so we can try to re-create but i'm certain our dripping solution didn't do this).
The business sells parts to truckers. It's a nice facility (hey, they have carpet!) we also do the janitorial. it's generally a clean environment. Maybe someone dripped a solvent? What about battery acid-would that melt carpet (i don't think so, nor would most acids?)
Its possible this happened before we cleaned the carpet, maybe by some darker liquid, then, when we cleaned the dark liquid, it exposed the damage area. Has anyone experienced that before?

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9689.jpg
    IMG_9689.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Carpet-3.jpg
    Carpet-3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 90

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
The only thing I can think of is the heat from the solution hose, but your pictures don’t look heat from the hose, I know is possible because one time I ruined a clients synthetic sod walk way. I had to pull with force my hose off the sod

Mike Jones

Jun 8, 2011
maybe. but not just any acid. Typically acid is going to attack something mineral, not plastic, right? That's why acid (muriatic and others) ship in plastic containers. But we might test muriatic since i have some at home, just out of curiousity.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
maybe. but not just any acid. Typically acid is going to attack something mineral, not plastic, right? That's why acid (muriatic and others) ship in plastic containers. But we might test muriatic since i have some at home, just out of curiousity.
Im still trying to find pics. Janitor spilled bowl cleaner or liquid plumber on a carpet. It melted it just the same as if a hot piece of steel fell on it.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I found pics.
I cant remember if it was cleaner for the toilet or drain opener. But it generated enough heat to burn it through.
Screenshot_20201118-191222_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-191208_Gallery.jpg

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
Im still trying to find pics. Janitor spilled bowl cleaner or liquid plumber on a carpet. It melted it just the same as if a hot piece of steel fell on it.
True, I’ve use some blue acid bowl cleaner that burned some holes on my cars floor mat, but it leaked for days , I’m trying to picture how a leaky wand valve will do that kind of damage if you work your way back, the technician would had to gone over the drip drip at least on the cleaning pass, and one more if you do a dry pass. Another thing to consider is , damage might have already been there prior to the cleaning, I’ve cleaned carpets that are peppered with pet urine treatment and the bleach spots sometimes are not noticeable until I clean all the dirt and grime.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
True, I’ve use some blue acid bowl cleaner that burned some holes on my cars floor mat, but it leaked for days , I’m trying to picture how a leaky wand valve will do that kind of damage if you work your way back, the technician would had to gone over the drip drip at least on the cleaning pass, and one more if you do a dry pass. Another thing to consider is , damage might have already been there prior to the cleaning, I’ve cleaned carpets that are peppered with pet urine treatment and the bleach spots sometimes are not noticeable until I clean all the dirt and grime.
This is true. It may have already been damaged and cleaning revealed it. Olefin has a very low melting point low 200 220 or something like that. Early olefins melted from beater bars in vacuums.

Lol once I was accused of bleaching a navy blue carpet. When i rinsed it suddenly white spots randomly appeared. I questioned the angry customer if they had spilled anything there. As i read different chemicals from a shelf right behind them. Of course she denied even owning it. Till ipointed it out right behind her. Then it was oh yeah i did use that on a few spots.

I helped out my mail man who lived down the street. His dog crapped everywhere one night When it was sick. I got there too late. His brother already hit the white carpet with resolve then cobana on top of that. I warned him that when i rinse it. It may pull the cleaners plus the color with it. Lol i couldnt believe bright white carpet could get even whiter.

Reactions: Dan The Carpet Man

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
My thinking is that something was spilled sometime ago. And looked ok maybe dirty. So they did not notice anything. Then the burnt or disintegrated fibers were pulled out with cleaning revealing what was already there. Its not the end of the world though. Careful working with a hot glue gun and some donor fibers from a closet can fix that right up.

Reactions: Dan The Carpet Man

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
My thinking is that something was spilled sometime ago. And looked ok maybe dirty. So they did not notice anything. Then the burnt or disintegrated fibers were pulled out with cleaning revealing what was already there. Its not the end of the world though. Careful working with a hot glue gun and some donor fibers from a closet can fix that right up.
Very true, One time I cleaned a carpet with actual bleach spilled, fibers were still there but obvious bleach spot about 5 inch in diameter, one quick little pass and i could not believe it , I was staring at the backing of the carpet, luckily for the homeowner it was in the restroom between the tub and the toilet, she just put the trash can over it, I offer to patch it up but she didn’t want to spend the money,

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
The janitor and the carpet cleaner are to blame for even that is damaged in a building. We were the last ones in the building and it didn’t look like that before we got there. Man if I had a dollar for every time someone has said that I’d be rich.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I also agree that your cleaning revealed the problem and didn't cause it. Chances are that is almost certainly something that was dripped on the carpet and when you went over it the color came out. I've seen it happen almost instantly. Even extremely hot water from your machine dripped onto the carpet won't melt it. Quick connects could potentially melt it, but I don't think it could even possibly cause color loss. It would simply melt it, not change the color. I avoid having quick connects on the carpet on almost every job I do, especially if it's a poly. That is some chemical someone dripped in there that destabilized the dyes. It would have happened to anyone who cleaned that carpet no matter what they used on it.