What is your furniture moving policy? | Page 4 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What is your furniture moving policy?

Discussion in 'Salesmanship' started by ebarnett, Jun 3, 2014.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Active Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Male
    Ratings:
    +457 / 7 / -0
    #61 Bob Loblaw, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    I mostly charge by the sq ft. I tell people that if I move that big heavy item, which btw has not been moved since you set it in that spot on the carpet back when it was new, but if I clean that area, it will cost more because you are paying by the sq foot. Besides, that area has been unexposed. It's not dirty. ;) I definitely will not move cabinets, dressers, armoires, entertainment cabinets, or tables with a bunch of trinkets and shit on it. Nor will I pick up toys like a Barbie Beach house or move your cardboard file boxes around your home office. Most common moved items: trash cans, plastic office chair floor thing, floor lamps, coffee tables, end tables, chairs. Seldom am I needed to move a couch. Never been asked to move a bed. I do have a bunch of furniture glides in my van if I had to move something by myself that was big.

2. EverythingFlooring

EverythingFlooring Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,633 / 16 / -0
    If you're solo, and you're moving furniture without slides(even with some jobs" you are wrinkling the carpet. Be careful

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,735 / 14 / -0
    Unless they're in a hard to get to space like a corner I don't really have a problem with them. I use the Lift Buddy and put sliders down and slide them out in about a minute. Clean behind and slide back. Put blocks under when I'm taking the sliders out and a couple extra blocks to support the center. I charge a higher rate when I have to do stuff like this so as long as I'm being paid for it I don't mind. Using sticky tabs on some furniture is a big help too. I particularly like them on furniture that you can't get to the legs once it's back in place. I have one price for empty or no furniture moving and another for furniture moving. I will move a few things with the no furniture moving price if they're quick an easy, but nothing too time consuming.

4. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    My reply: Maam, whens the last time someone WALKED under that sofa or bed? Me:..... Exactly! It aint goin No Where unless YOU move it!.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. timmoore

timmoore Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Male
    owner
    murfreesboro tn
    Ratings:
    +463 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget the carpet acts as a filter for the house even if we don't walk under the bed you run a duster under a bed or check out the baseboards behind a unused area yep Its got dust buildup. Move stuff within reason not things that are gona break or give you a hernia that's not worth it if you have a swivel head Bently wand you can get lots of places others can't without the moving of things

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4,735 / 14 / -0
    So what do you do when someone insist on cleaning under the bed? Some beds literally can't be moved w/o taking them apart. I won't mess with extremely heavy or difficult beds. Some beds can fairly easily be put on sliders and moved back and forth. Others it's not too hard to take out the mattress and box springs and either stand them up or take them out of the room. Then just clean the areas and drop the mattress and box springs back in and finish the room out. If they have to take them out of the room I insist the customer do it or have it done. Some beds you can use a stair tool or a swivel wand like the Bentley to get under pretty well if they can't be moved. This has been an issue for me a number of times and just saying I don't clean under the bed would result in "I'll call you later." instead of "I need it done next Tuesday".

Btw, I'm not insisting my way is the best way. It's just I know I would lose a lot of good paying jobs if I weren't willing to do some stuff that others aren't willing to do. I've seen in this thread where guys aren't willing to move dressers either. Some dressers, as long as the stuff on the top it are cleared off, can be put on sliders and blocked. I've done it many times. If I've got a customer that is insisting on moving a really heavy dresser I will either ask them to remove all the drawers or I take them out and place them on the bed if possible. Like I said in my earlier post. Once they realize they have to actually help they back off, but I've seen many times they will move the drawers and other things out. Otherwise it stays in place.

7. dmreed4311

Premium VIP

May 3, 2010
    Male
    Carpet cleaner
    Fl
    Ratings:
    +6,886 / 15 / -0
    I do not move furniture except for rare instances, nice old people or handicapped. They know this before I ever enter their home. When I get a customer who insists on furniture moving I refer them to as couple other local cleaners who do move furniture. I get little resistance to my business model and my schedule is full.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. aloha one

aloha one Scrub a DUB DUB!

Feb 17, 2009
    Male
    Semi retired
    California
    Ratings:
    +21,758 / 106 / -0
    Twas but a Joke...within reason I'll do most anything to please the Custy and Gain a Cheerleader!:D

9. JD5150

JD5150 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1,562 / 5 / -0
    Same here don't move a lot of furniture. It is like training a customer this how we operate our businesses. Customer saves $$$ and broken furniture and we save our backs. Dressers usually snap like a twig because they are always overloaded.

10. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2 / -0
    This was one of my self made work orders that I used long time ago. It's made for installs but as far as furniture moving it will work. I forgot to add in for customer to pick up clutter though.

Attached Files:

11. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4,735 / 14 / -0
    Now you tell me. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Male
    Owner
    CA
    Ratings:
    +531 / 2 / -0
    Basic & smaller items only.

13. Frank DiGi

Premium VIP

Sep 3, 2008
    none
    pa
    Ratings:
    +5,493 / 3 / -0
    lite items only nothing heavy i agree

14. Andrew C

Andrew C Active Member

May 24, 2014
    Male
    Owner of True Steam LLC
    Richmond, VA
    Ratings:
    +441 / 4 / -0
    Yep only items within reason. Couches, tables, chairs...nothing heavy or loaded with crap.

Nothing electrical such as TVs, computers.

15. mendo83

mendo83 Active Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Owner of Family Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning
    El Monte, California
    Ratings:
    +225 / 14 / -0
    For those who do move furniture, what is your policy? And do you have a liability sheet to sign off on like Mr. Sun?

16. Prowler

Prowler Active Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Male
    Entrepreneur
    Corpus Christi
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Prices is for furnished residential service only.
    Moving of heavy furniture not included.Small furniture, chairs etc. moved.
    Light furniture moving 4'/less or less than 35lbs.
    Empty rooms is more money.

17. A Cleaner Approach

A Cleaner Approach Active Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I don't think my insurance forms actually say anything about furniture movement. I'm sure it does cover it but its always a good way to get out of moving something that you aren't comfortable with moving. Especially if the customer is really bugging you about it.

18. A Cleaner Approach

Jun 21, 2014
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I explain that I don't usually move sectionals for that exact reason. I let the customer know that it is really difficult to make sure no metal is touching the carpet. They usually agree and don't worry about moving it.

19. Andrew C

Andrew C Active Member

May 24, 2014
    Male
    Owner of True Steam LLC
    Richmond, VA
    Ratings:
    +441 / 4 / -0
    But if you put the sectional on blocks, there really is no way metal should be touching the carpet...how do they buy that?

20. A Cleaner Approach

Jun 21, 2014
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I have had sectionals that I've had to place blocks every few inches to keep it all off the carpet. Some are so heavy they sag down into the carpet even with blocks under them.