What is your furniture moving policy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
My reply: "ABSOLUTELY, we love to move furniture"

And for the record- no... We don't charge.

Ironically, most clients then require very very little furniture to be moved

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
I've been in this business for 26 years and I've only had a helper for the past year. For 25 years I worked alone. I moved all kinds of stuff. After they came out with lift buddies and sliders my life was wonderful.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I work alone. So I will move any thing that can be put on furniture sliders. Homers has these little orange ones that are perfect. I have tons of them. I just keep on working and leave them under furniture till I'm completely done. Then I switch them out for tabs during my post walk through. The only thing I hate are those sectional reclining sofas with the metal rail on the bottom. There hard to keep up of of the wet carpet.
Anyone have any tips on how to handle these sofas?

Customer must remove all breakables, lamps and anything on top of furniture. And I instruct them to pick everything up off of the floor.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Mr. Sun. Where did you find your liability signoff sheet? I currently have the same "furniture moving" policy as you and I had a customer argue with me the other day about moving a bookcase that was full and I had just one tech at the job site to do the work. I explained that our trade is "carpet cleaning" not furniture moving. I did charge her an additional small fee for it, but more importantly I want to protect my employees and company for the future.
I wrote mine out myself

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I work alone. So I will move any thing that can be put on furniture sliders. Homers has these little orange ones that are perfect. I have tons of them. I just keep on working and leave them under furniture till I'm completely done. Then I switch them out for tabs during my post walk through. The only thing I hate are those sectional reclining sofas with the metal rail on the bottom. There hard to keep up of of the wet carpet.
Anyone have any tips on how to handle these sofas?

Customer must remove all breakables, lamps and anything on top of furniture. And I instruct them to pick everything up off of the floor.
I tip sofas and chairs over when space allows.
Tip em on their back or side, clean under, place blocks or chips and gently lay them back down.

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
Those reclining sofas are a pain in the a$$ when you have no helper.

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
The only thing I hate are those sectional reclining sofas with the metal rail on the bottom. There hard to keep up of of the wet carpet.
Anyone have any tips on how to handle these sofas.
Yes, I have a suggestion regarding those. I don't run into them much anymore, my market has grown more affluent over the years, but back when I ran into them regularly I'd keep a few white pine, un treated 2x4 pieces on the van. They raise the sofa up high enough to keep the bar off the carpet.

And they don't get smushed like styrofoam blocks do.

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes, I have a suggestion regarding those. I don't run into them much anymore, my market has grown more affluent over the years, but back when I ran into them regularly I'd keep a few white pine, un treated 2x4 pieces on the van. They raise the sofa up high enough to keep the bar off the carpet.

And they don't get smushed like styrofoam blocks do.
That's a good one. It will also give more space for air mover to blow under there. I'm going to dig through my scrap 2x4 collection in my shed tomorrow morning.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
If the customer was always right, then we wouldn't be the professionals. We can just let them clean their carpet with their vinegar/borax mixture that they got from the latest Real Simple magazine article
You wouldn't have customers if there weren't magazines like that explaining to them how to F up their carpets ;)

Jun 21, 2014
Northwest Arkansas
www.acleanerapproach.com
Real Name
Tim McCullough
Business Location
United States
I work solo. I let the customer know that I move sofas, love seats, end tables, night stands and similar items. What I don't move is beds, dressers, china cabinets, or anything with electronics on it. I let them know that I will clean anything they want as long as they want to move it. I tell them that my insurance won't allow me to move those items.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I work solo. I let the customer know that I move sofas, love seats, end tables, night stands and similar items. What I don't move is beds, dressers, china cabinets, or anything with electronics on it. I let them know that I will clean anything they want as long as they want to move it. I tell them that my insurance won't allow me to move those items.
I wonder if insurance does actually cover the furniture we move. I should look into that

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If the price is right we will move anything. If it's not we move basic;

Sofas
Chairs
Dining & L/RM tables

Jan 8, 2008
Houston
www.weebcocarpet-cleaning.com
Real Name
Gary Wiebe
Business Location
United States
I hate moving those sectionals that are all locked together and the bottom has a bare metal frame that has to be tabbed with blocks. I've started to say that I move light furniture .

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
What I think about it this. If the customer can't pick up the piece of furniture how will the get the foam blocks from underneath? That is one thing I consider when we talk about furniture moving. The plastic tabs can be left. But the foam blocks can make things uneven and a bit unstable if the furniture itself isn't balanced. (Meaning like a book shelf with all the books pushed to one side)

Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I am thinking of changing my policy as well. We usually include living room furniture (couches,chairs,tables) because of that foot heel dirty line always right in front of couch. rarely ever move bedroom furniture unless I charge for whole room. rarely does anyone even want this unless its a baby bed. We do try to get around the nightstand if possible. Always a dirty area.
But I could get $25 for the furniture move clean under and replace I think. Just include nightstands and living room for that. It does ad about 10 minutes to job at least.
We go in spray open areas then move furniture onto those areas, then spray a little if needed where furniture was sitting. wand where furniture was sitting then slide back into place and we are left with open areas to wand. Of course you have to pick up all the crap off the floor under couches.

Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
What I think about it this. If the customer can't pick up the piece of furniture how will the get the foam blocks from underneath? That is one thing I consider when we talk about furniture moving. The plastic tabs can be left. But the foam blocks can make things uneven and a bit unstable if the furniture itself isn't balanced. (Meaning like a book shelf with all the books pushed to one side)
Yea we use plastic whenever we can. blocks rarely used. only if piece is flat on bottom.