What is your furniture moving policy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
We love to move and clean under as much furniture as possible. Tab and block.
Our custy's love wall to wall cleaning. Yup... we come in and do it all. We ask if they could help us out by having the knick knacks off cleaning area's please.
OH YA.... we also charge large for this, not bonus offer.
Even like to go back and remove tabs and blocks for the seniors. Yup... you guessed it, charge large for that too!
I understand guys that move minimal amount of furniture, and that's cool.
Nope... don't move appliances, piano's , china cabnets, wall units etc.
Grant.

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
We love to move and clean under as much furniture as possible. Tab and block.
Our custy's love wall to wall cleaning. Yup... we come in and do it all. We ask if they could help us out by having the knick knacks off cleaning area's please.
OH YA.... we also charge large for this, not bonus offer.
Even like to go back and remove tabs and blocks for the seniors. Yup... you guessed it, charge large for that too!
I understand guys that move minimal amount of furniture, and that's cool.
Nope... don't move appliances, piano's , china cabnets, wall units etc.
Grant.
It really helps to have a quality minded clientele. People who want top flight service, completely understand that there is a price associated with it

Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
It really helps to have a quality minded clientele. People who want top flight service, completely understand that there is a price associated with it
We even like to wipe down baseboards that are behind pieces of furniture that don't get moved often. Oh , and also wipe down the back of those dressers etc. lots of dust there.
Agreed Mike... I like working for the custy that want first class service and know that cost money.

Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
When the customer asks "do you move furniture"? What is your reply? If you don't have a helper on the van what do you do about heavy furniture?

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums
I go through this with every job at the beginning when we do the walkthrough and estimate. I try to make it very clear up front exactly what I will, or will not be moving. It's important to have the ground rules down first thing. With that said, i will tell them I will move what I can within reason. Small tables, chairs, couches are ok. I don't like to move beds, loaded shelving, entertainment centres, TV, Aquariums, grandfather clocks, computer desks (and computers). Any stereo equipment and such.

Jun 16, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Randy Stoker
Business Location
United States
I will move light furniture such as sofa, love seat, recliners, chairs and nightstands. I will not move beds, ent. centers, pianos or such. Remember, you are liable if you damage it and people will take advantage of that. One lady had an antique worth over $15000.00 and begged to have it moved. As soon as it was moved one of the legs fell off and she accused the person who moved it of breaking the leg. Her 7 year old son walked in and heard what was going on and said" Mother, you know that was already broken".

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I don't move anything ever! Not even an empty trash bin on the floor…Just kidding. I agree with a lot of you, I will move couches and really anything smaller than that if they ask. Anything fragile or any furniture that looks like it is going to fall apart, I don't touch. Like mr sun says, we aren't professional movers so simply explain that. However, anything small that is just in the way when cleaning I move because its easier on me. Like an empty trash bin on the floor or something of that nature haha

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I will move light furniture such as sofa, love seat, recliners, chairs and nightstands. I will not move beds, ent. centers, pianos or such. Remember, you are liable if you damage it and people will take advantage of that. One lady had an antique worth over $15000.00 and begged to have it moved. As soon as it was moved one of the legs fell off and she accused the person who moved it of breaking the leg. Her 7 year old son walked in and heard what was going on and said" Mother, you know that was already broken".
That is why I pre inspect furniture to be moved. If you tap it and you hear a creak, don't touch it. If you have to its worth it to just walk away from the job than to be accused of breaking a $15000 piece. Obviously walking from the job in an extreme but even if it was $1000 job, its not worth risking the $15000 moving the antique.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
We even like to wipe down baseboards that are behind pieces of furniture that don't get moved often. Oh , and also wipe down the back of those dressers etc. lots of dust there.
Agreed Mike... I like working for the custy that want first class service and know that cost money.
X2. reason why My wife gets $100 tips quite often

Feb 20, 2012
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
X2. reason why My wife gets $100 tips quite often
I like to include my gratuity in my price Martin. Lol
Never had a $100 tip personally, maybe I need to bring my wife out with us!
Wait... could end up in divorce court. Love the wife.. good girl.
Just both of us want to wear the
white hat! We limit our projects
that we "Collaborate" together.

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
As little as possible but you know, move the basics like coffee table, dining chairs, and tables if needed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
$50 per hour, per person. One hour minimum.

mendo83

May 21, 2012
El Monte, California
Real Name
Oscar Mendo
Business Location
United States
Customer - do you guys move the furniture?
Cleaner. - we will shuffle a couch of love seat or end table for you but we don't move heavy dressers, electronics, china cabinets, or other things like that..
Customer. - but we want to move and clean under everything.
Cleaner, ok no problem we can do that that for you BUT we will have to reschedule for another day and bring 2 more people with us and the price will need to be changed accordingly.

If this sounds like you, make sure you have a liability signoff sheet with you stating your not responsible for anything broken during the moving process.

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun
Mr. Sun. Where did you find your liability signoff sheet? I currently have the same "furniture moving" policy as you and I had a customer argue with me the other day about moving a bookcase that was full and I had just one tech at the job site to do the work. I explained that our trade is "carpet cleaning" not furniture moving. I did charge her an additional small fee for it, but more importantly I want to protect my employees and company for the future.

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
I move everything within reason. If the customer moved some furniture out before I arrived I always offer to help them put it back.

brentnorman

Sep 6, 2013
Pine River, MN
www.optimumcleaning.net
Real Name
Brent Norman
I move everything within reason like a lot of you. But, don't you love it when the customer says when you walk in the door that they moved all of the furniture and it's all in the center of the rooms you are cleaning!!! :mad: "just clean the outside and move the furniture, then you can clean the middle of the room"