What is your furniture moving policy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ebarnett

Jul 5, 2013
Morgantown, WV
www.UltraBrite.biz
Real Name
Eric Barnett
When the customer asks "do you move furniture"? What is your reply? If you don't have a helper on the van what do you do about heavy furniture?

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Couches, tables chairs, nightstands are moveable. When beds are needed to be moved, I tell them to move the mattresses while I get under and move the headboard to get behind it. If they want me to move it, I make sure that there is a place for me to move the mattresses and charge a little more for my beef to go to work.

Entertainment centers, china cabinets, dressers...I do not move them.

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez
I always have a helper with me, my reply will be-yes we move furniture all of it if you want but that will require me to bring two helpers and possible a third helper and we will need to charge more money, however we do move light furniture only.

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez
If I don't have a helper I say the same that if they want me to move all furniture I will need to hire 3 movers for help.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I rarely move furniture, I run specials that require furniture to be moved before I arrive, on a rare occasion I will move things for the elderly or crippled but that is it. When I run into customers who want lots of furniture moved and can not do it themselves, I refer them to other cleaners.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You have to use EXTREME care in some cases when deciding to move some pieces of furniture. I will probably move 90% of all the furniture in most houses, but I have restrictions. Things like entertainment centers won't be touched unless COMPLETELY unloaded. Same goes for things like china cabinets, heavy dressers, etc. I don't do it always, but sometimes I request that ALL drawers be REMOVED from dressers and chest as well as ALL items taken off it if they want it cleaned under. In other words, I try to make sure it can be moved safely and easily with sliders and can be put back easily with blocks or tabs.

A lot of times when the custy realizes they actually have to unload something they will change their mind real quick, but some will actually go ahead and do it. I don't touch antiques or anything I perceive to be of really high value. I do the same as Matt with beds. I work alone btw. I try to move everything I can within reason, but sometimes customers can get unreasonable about this. I charge a higher price based on how much furniture I have to move. Sometimes it's still not enough!!! When the customer finds out they will have to pay quite a bit extra to get all that stuff moved they will sometimes change their mind too. I'll literally spend an entire day at one house sometimes, but I try to make sure the pay at the end of the day is worth it.:)

Last edited:

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
You have to use EXTREME care in some cases when deciding to move some pieces of furniture. I will probably move 90% of all the furniture in most houses, but I have restrictions. Things like entertainment centers won't be touched unless COMPLETELY unloaded. Same goes for things like china cabinets, heavy dressers, etc. I don't do it always, but sometimes I request that ALL drawers be REMOVED from dressers and chest as well as ALL items taken off it if they want it cleaned under. In other words, I try to make sure it can be moved safely and easily with sliders and can be put back easily with blocks or tabs.

A lot of times when the custy realizes they actually have to unload something they will change their mind real quick, but some will actually go ahead and do it. I don't touch antiques or anything I perceive to be of really high value. I do the same as Matt with beds. I work alone btw. I try to move everything I can within reason, but sometimes customers can get unreasonable about this. I charge a higher price based on how much furniture I have to move. Sometimes it's still not enough!!! When the customer finds out they will have to pay quite a bit extra to get all that stuff moved they will sometimes change their mind too. I'll literally spend an entire day at one house sometimes, but I try to make sure the pay at the end of the day is worth it.:)
I've said it many times before: We are carpet cleaners...Not a moving company. I'm sure all of ya'll agree on that. I know it's hard to get that idea into the newbie's minds, because they want to cater to their customers to build up a customer base...which is good. But letting your customers run over you, isn't good

Jose Rodriguez

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Jose Rodriguez

I totally understand you, I had only once moved everything I mean everything but I hired 3 movers and the customer was willing to pay what ever $ to move all furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

vladimir

Apr 3, 2011
palmdale ca.
Real Name
Dennis azenon
Business Location
United States
I did a customers home 2 weeks ago and he was moving all he could while i was cleaning deep down inside i was pissed caused it took me an extra 45 min to do the job but he did apologized and well i got paid and booked him for thanksgiving so i cant complain

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums. D.V.A. Carpet Cleaning

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
I work solo, I running special that not include moving furniture, with elderly people I make exceptions.
when appointment is set, I ask them: please clear all areas as much as you can, that imply: move furniture is extra fee. I always ask them to vacuum.
Moving furniture, vacuum takes extra time and time is money, TM running while you doing that, etc but I never move electronics, pianos, old furniture.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
Couches, tables chairs, nightstands are moveable. When beds are needed to be moved, I tell them to move the mattresses while I get under and move the headboard to get behind it. If they want me to move it, I make sure that there is a place for me to move the mattresses and charge a little more for my beef to go to work.

Entertainment centers, china cabinets, dressers...I do not move them.
Same as well.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Moving furniture is part of my selling point. That said we include "light furniture moving" this is "couches, tables and chairs in common areas" other items can be removed by customer or I will move if they already have on furniture sliders. I am considering dropping furniture moving all together.. Being specific about what I move on the phone has helped me to not "open a can of worms" where they want me to move everything. Furniture moving can easily double working times. I like reeds idea of a promo for no furniture. I have been doing that a little, but not pushing it yet.

Peter80

May 28, 2013
Australia
Real Name
Peter
I've said it many times before: We are carpet cleaners...Not a moving company. I'm sure all of ya'll agree on that. I know it's hard to get that idea into the newbie's minds, because they want to cater to their customers to build up a customer base...which is good. But letting your customers run over you, isn't good
I made that mistake once and once only it was about a year ago and I'm still pissed that I let this guy walk over me... never again:mad:. The worst thing was it was a big house. my back is far more important.

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
Customer - do you guys move the furniture?
Cleaner. - we will shuffle a couch of love seat or end table for you but we don't move heavy dressers, electronics, china cabinets, or other things like that..
Customer. - but we want to move and clean under everything.
Cleaner, ok no problem we can do that that for you BUT we will have to reschedule for another day and bring 2 more people with us and the price will need to be changed accordingly.

If this sounds like you, make sure you have a liability signoff sheet with you stating your not responsible for anything broken during the moving process.

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I hate saying the word "no" to a client. I truly believe in the old saying that 'the customer is always right'. I move whatever they want within reason and simply price the job accordingly.
Chinese have a saying: Cleaner who laugh at customer in Summer will cry at their doorsteps in Winter. :D

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I hate saying the word "no" to a client. I truly believe in the old saying that 'the customer is always right'. I move whatever they want within reason and simply price the job accordingly.
Chinese have a saying: Cleaner who laugh at customer in Summer will cry at their doorsteps in Winter. :D
If the customer was always right, then we wouldn't be the professionals. We can just let them clean their carpet with their vinegar/borax mixture that they got from the latest Real Simple magazine article

Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
If the customer was always right, then we wouldn't be the professionals. We can just let them clean their carpet with their vinegar/borax mixture that they got from the latest Real Simple magazine article
Is that what you got from that?o_O How bout this: The clients' wants and needs should be at the forefront of our own concerns

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Is that what you got from that?o_O How bout this: The clients' wants and needs should be at the forefront of our own concerns
Well when you charge $40 a room like I do, you get what you pay for:D I'm the carpet Nazi. No furniture moving for you!:cool:

Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
We move couches and chairs for free but we charge extra for beds and dressers, etc. As long as they pay, I move. As said above, furniture needs to be emptied (china, electronics,..)