What is your best form of Advertising ? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What is your best form of Advertising ?

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
I have heard the typical response to EDDM is .02%

What kind of numbers are you getting from it?
Todd don't believe the BS that these guys are posting about bad results. It is out of context. I am experienced in DM. And a lot of guys treat it unfairly, they do one mailing of 2500 post cards and think they can base results off of that. In the direct marketing industry a SMALL test quantity is usually 10,000 pieces. Now with EDDM they limit you to 5,000 pieces per day just an FYI. but if you are interested in EDDM do a 10k-50k piece test before you make up your mind. I will also note that creative, size, incentives, and demographic play a role.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

mahlonzehr

Oct 30, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
www.beautifulcarpetsandfloors.com
Real Name
Mahlon Zehr
Business Location
United States
More like .002% Todd
Yes you are correct. My post of .02 was a mistake.

It's like 2-3 jobs per thousand postcards.

I have tried a variety if postcards including some DR cards from the DR gurus. I have done three step mailings. I have chosen my demographic carefully.

For new prospects its consistently .002-.003%. I'm sure some people can do better but it's pretty tough.

I haven't mailed 20k- 50k people (that's pretty much every man woman and child in my area lol).

Anyway most o/o couldn't afford that size of a cash investment anyway. So it becomes irrelevant one way or another.

I like EDDM but its certainly not a magic bullet for marketing.

Jeffrey

Nov 21, 2010
Real Name
Jeffrey P
Business Location
United States
I am big into seo and being top of my google page. But the best market for my business is just being out and being seen. I have picked up 6 new commercial accounts this year alone just from people seeing me work at storefronts,restaurants. Still cant wait to have that truckwrap though which I think would put me atop my competitors.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
No single ad campaign is going to solve your problems. Really need to piece together 3-4 different campaigns into a cohesive plan, hitting the same target from different angles. Everyone buys differently.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
No single ad campaign is going to solve your problems. Really need to piece together 3-4 different campaigns into a cohesive plan, hitting the same target from different angles. Everyone buys differently.
great advice.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Yes you are correct. My post of .02 was a mistake.

It's like 2-3 jobs per thousand postcards.

I have tried a variety if postcards including some DR cards from the DR gurus. I have done three step mailings. I have chosen my demographic carefully.

For new prospects its consistently .002-.003%. I'm sure some people can do better but it's pretty tough.

I haven't mailed 20k- 50k people (that's pretty much every man woman and child in my area lol).

Anyway most o/o couldn't afford that size of a cash investment anyway. So it becomes irrelevant one way or another.

I like EDDM but its certainly not a magic bullet for marketing.
both of you guys have incorrect math.
0.002% would mean 2 jobs for every 100,000 pieces mailed.

tri-state

Jun 14, 2012
Real Name
Michael Bean
Thinking about door hangers in a couple upscale neighborhoods, Anyone do this with good result's?

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Thinking about door hangers in a couple upscale neighborhoods, Anyone do this with good result's?
upscale no. Middle class yes. But it is pricey when you factor in time. In upscale (mill plus homes) I get no results from door hangers they just throw them away

JKM

Jan 29, 2013
Real Name
Henry
both of you guys have incorrect math.
0.002% would mean 2 jobs for every 100,000 pieces mailed.
your math is way off.... .002 of 100,000 would be 200. .02 would be 2,000. .2 would be 20,000....... Been breathing those chemicals to long aigh?

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
your math is way off.... .002 of 100,000 would be 200. .02 would be 2,000. .2 would be 20,000....... Been breathing those chemicals to long aigh?
there is a difference between 0.002 and 0.002%. I'm not sure that you guys took grade school math... 1% of 100 is 1, 0.01% of 100 is 0.01. And 0.01 X 100 is 1. Get the differences? If you don't believe me see your grade school math book or type in "what is 0.01% of 100" into google, then type "what is 0.01 times 100" into google. :D

idahofallscarpetcleaners

Jan 9, 2012
Idaho
www.idahofallscarpetcleaners.com
Real Name
Patrick Ianuzi
Business Location
United States
Door hangers work best on newer middle class homes. Make sure you get them professional printed using a place like gotprint.com or vistaprint. You can keep your cost down by just printing post cards and staple a rubber band to it. If you have lots of time and little money this is the best way to get new customers.

idahofallscarpetcleaners

Jan 9, 2012
Idaho
www.idahofallscarpetcleaners.com
Real Name
Patrick Ianuzi
Business Location
United States
But you have to do multiple things with advertising to stay busy. Most small cleaners dont track there customers and send out 1 year reminder post cards. Christmas cards with one of our company magnets is another great thing. We spend a ton of time and money putting these mailings together but they do pay out.

Bob S

Aug 17, 2012
Bunnell, Florida
www.crestcleaningservice.com
Real Name
Bob Spiegelhalter
Business Location
United States
Todd don't believe the BS that these guys are posting about bad results. It is out of context. I am experienced in DM. And a lot of guys treat it unfairly, they do one mailing of 2500 post cards and think they can base results off of that. In the direct marketing industry a SMALL test quantity is usually 10,000 pieces. Now with EDDM they limit you to 5,000 pieces per day just an FYI. but if you are interested in EDDM do a 10k-50k piece test before you make up your mind. I will also note that creative, size, incentives, and demographic play a role.
I agree with you. I tried my first 10,000 mailers. I targeted golfing communities and out of 10,000 I received 6 phone calls. I even had the EDDM professionally designed too.

Joey J.

Jun 18, 2008
Fl
Dude, if you're going to be a big shot franchise owner and make try to make fun of people on top of that you better learn what a % means. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JKM

Jan 29, 2013
Real Name
Henry
there is a difference between 0.002 and 0.002%. I'm not sure that you guys took grade school math... 1% of 100 is 1, 0.01% of 100 is 0.01. And 0.01 X 100 is 1. Get the differences? If you don't believe me see your grade school math book or type in "what is 0.01% of 100" into google, then type "what is 0.01 times 100" into google. :D
in terms of ROI, which is what variable was being determined, the appropriate math was given.

Apr 7, 2009
Central PA (814) Area Code
Real Name
Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
Business Location
United States
I have said it before in a similar thread that Craigslist works awesome for us, but that maybe because we specialize in House Cleaning. Craigslist is the only advertising we have done in the past 2 years, besides a new Facebook ad we are currently experimenting with, which doesnt seem worth the $5 a day so far. We are doing that to try to get more likes.
Honestly Craigslist works so well for us we run the post and within a day we get a few calls. Jen actually just told me to take the ad down because we are getting too many calls. We are currently booked solid and can't handle any more work for the 2 of us, having to work Saturdays. We are in the pickle right now of trying to find a reliable employee so we won't have to turn anymore work away.
Besides Craigslist we get a lot of referral work and have a reputation in town of being expert cleaners:eek:)