what is your #1 tool for low moisture cleaning stairs | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

what is your #1 tool for low moisture cleaning stairs

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I don't use cotton bonnets on the stepson anymore. They are a pain in the a**. They just don't want to stay on the velcro. I now use the dark blue microfiber with scrub strips.
All good things.

Do you sometimes both agitate and extract when using he dark blue microfiber with scrub strips?

Or is it usually agitate with cyclo then extract with stepson?

roger9000

Jul 22, 2020
San Diego
Real Name
Roger Mather
Business Location
United States
While this could send you down the stairs backward if you are not careful, My Trex Jr does a step a minute with a bonnet.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
All good things.

Do you sometimes both agitate and extract when using he dark blue microfiber with scrub strips?

Or is it usually agitate with cyclo then extract with stepson?
I went all VLM last October. I seem to learn something new on just about every job.

Not everybody does VLM the way I do but that's ok. This is what works for me for residential carpet.

95% scrub steps with cyclo and then extract with stepson.

95% scrub carpet with CRB and then extract with OP

The carpet/steps would need to be spotless for me to skip the scrub and even then I usually scrub. The scrub does most of the cleaning. The scrub breaks away the soil from the carpet fiber and it gets encapsulated in the shampoo. The OP and bonnet extract the shampoo. The carpet/steps should look clean after the scrub. Sometimes you gotta just go slow and let the CRB/Cyclo do it's job. VLM usually takes longer than HWE.

I use Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as I scrub I spray it down in front of my CRB/Cyclo in bad areas.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I went all VLM last October. I seem to learn something new on just about every job.

Not everybody does VLM the way I do but that's ok. This is what works for me for residential carpet.

The carpet/steps would need to be spotless for me to skip the scrub and even then I usually scrub. The scrub does most of the cleaning. The scrub breaks away the soil from the carpet fiber and it gets encapsulated in the shampoo. The OP and bonnet extract the shampoo. The carpet/steps should look clean after the scrub. Sometimes you gotta just go slow and let the CRB/Cyclo do it's job. VLM usually takes longer than HWE.

I use Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as I scrub I spray it down in front of my CRB/Cyclo in bad areas.
Im sure that process is quite through with great results.

Have you found that the size of the stepson make it difficult at all sometimes on some stairs for extraction?

I can see how having both the cyclo and the stepson is really having great tools for each step. Sometimes you can only pick one at a time etc.

I'm also weighing the makita polisher. I think more risk with makita but definetly seems more maneuverable in nooks and crannies for both stairs and upholstery.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
The stepson covers most of the step and doesn't fling water/dirt like a polisher.

The nooks and crannies are taken care of with a grout brush when needed.

It's not easy cleaning steps with VLM but remember the steps should be clean before you get to the stepson. The cyclo does most of the work.

Sometimes I use the 5'' orbiter that I use to clean upholstery on small steps to extract. It gets up closer to the wall better than stepson.

Just like with upholstery, after cleaning, I go over steps with a 13'' microfiber bonnet to help get steps drier.

Last edited:

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
The stepson covers most of the step and doesn't fling water/dirt like a polisher.

The nooks and crannies are taken care of with a grout brush when needed.

It's not easy cleaning steps with VLM but remember the steps should be clean before you get to the stepson. The cyclo does most of the work.

Sometimes I use the 5'' orbiter that I use to clean upholstery on small steps to extract. It gets up closer to the wall better than stepson.

Just like with upholstery, after cleaning, I go over steps with a 13'' microfiber bonnet to help get steps drier.
Nice that you have VLM dialed in.

Lots of tools for their purpose. Quite an arsenal.

Hmm..

Have you found something good to Pack In all your VLM gear?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States

I use Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as I scrub I spray it down in front or my CRB/Cyclo in bad areas.

That was the last sentence. What I meant was.

I prespray first and then when I get to bad areas I spray down Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as a booster to help clean in front of my CRB/Cyclo.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I use Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as I scrub I spray it down in front or my CRB/Cyclo in bad areas.

That was the last sentence. What I meant was.

I prespray first and then when I get to bad areas I spray down Bonnet Pro's No Rinse Spotter as a booster to help clean in front of my CRB/Cyclo.
Gotcha. This is great info.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

Have you found the cyclo to be effective before vacuuming the same way a crb is on occasion?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Have you found the cyclo to be effective before vacuuming the same way a crb is on occasion?
I never tried CRB before vacuuming. That would add another step and more time on the job. I always vacuum before I CRB or Cyclo.

Last edited:

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I use a Cyclo first to scrub and then I extract with a Trinity Stepson and cotton bonnet.

Cyclo is $300+ and a Stepson is $400+. You can usually find a used Cyclo on Ebay.

Cyclo is also good for scrubbing furniture with the grey brushes.

Micro Orbot is a Cyclo but more expensive. Buy the Cyclo. Check ebay !!!

View attachment 88212

View attachment 88211
Hi George!

This thread (and others) has been a wealth of new information for me regarding new processes and VLM.

If you don't mind I'd like to ask how your experience is with olefin loop (berber- or nylon or whatever) style carpets using the cyclo and stepson.

Still use the white (?) brushes on olefin loop?

Thank you.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I switched to the green brushes. I use them on everything now.

I used SuperCap on olefin berber about a week ago. Turned out amazing.

Vacuum
Prespray
Cyclo adding Bonnet Pro No Rinse Spotter when needed
Stepson with 17'' Microfiber Bonnet
13'' Microfiber Bonnet by hand to help Dry

I love VLM

Last edited:

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
This is what I use for VLM steps.

I use the Worx Sprayer for prespray. Not in picture.

That grout brush is the best I have found for carpet along walls. Walmart sells them.

I love VLM

thumbnail.jpg

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Gotcha. This is great info.
This is the best sprayer for VLM or HWE.

You can buy them refurbished from Worx on ebay. They are like new but at a great price $58.77 and free shipping

WG625 Worx Hydroshot

Resized_20200817_094900 (1).jpg

lamesalegend

Apr 9, 2012
CA
Real Name
L. Dante Davis Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the info George, ill get the grout brush. Im a fan of the Stepson I use Glad pads

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the info George, ill get the grout brush. Im a fan of the Stepson I use Glad pads
I have used the 15'' and 21'' Glad Pads but they don't stay on the Stepson very good. So now I just use the microfiber. They don't move like the Glads. They stay tight.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
This is what I use for VLM steps.

I use the Worx Sprayer for prespray. Not in picture.

That grout brush is the best I have found for carpet along walls. Walmart sells them.

I love VLM

View attachment 93463
Grout brush to work (agitate) in encap yes? Maybe throw a Terry or microfiber under and extract with it too?

One day, maybe my sig will be I love VLM too

Thanks for the recommendation on the worx. Always more..

Why a 17" bonnet on the (I believe) 8.5" stepson?

Thanks again for the information I appreciate it.

* I see later posts have more insight into pad usage on stepson.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I think Stepson is 10 or 12''. 15'' would probably be better than 17'' but I always grab the 17''. 13'' would also work. Bigger bonnet also protects the wall.

Grout brush for crevices. Where carpet meets wall and back of steps. It digs crap out when vacuuming and after prespray it helps scrub prespray in

Last edited:
Reactions: Select