What is the going rate for strpping and waxing floors?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cleanaholic

Jan 23, 2011
mn
Real Name
kevin cherveny
Business Location
United States
Have only done a few and its been a while whats the going rate in the midwest? Whats high and whats low. I am bidding a job today and dont want to underbid. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

AdmiralClean

Poster
Premium VIP
Mar 13, 2007
Alabama
Same for me. Heck, my price can swing as wildly as .75 /s.f or as low as .25 ... just depends on how much time I think it will take and what the price needs to be for me to make my hourly rate. If I have to bid it competitively, I am not interested.

Good luck!

cleanaholic

Jan 23, 2011
mn
Real Name
kevin cherveny
Business Location
United States
Thank you for your input. I agree if it will not be profitable its not worth the time.

Nov 20, 2008
SC
Real Name
Eric Jenkins
Business Location
United States
Have only done a few and its been a while whats the going rate in the midwest? Whats high and whats low. I am bidding a job today and dont want to underbid. Any help would be great thanks in advance.
It depends on who the custy is. I personally don't do VCT except on a referral basis. My prices are way to high to compete with the in and out guys. I do quality work and high end durable products. I don't burnish and buff regularly type of stuff. I am into more of true coatings than wax. I prefer the accounts that want a floor that can last a little longer than a week or two with cheap wax.

May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Same for me. Heck, my price can swing as wildly as .75 /s.f or as low as .25 ... just depends on how much time I think it will take and what the price needs to be for me to make my hourly rate. If I have to bid it competitively, I am not interested.

Good luck!
.50 - .40 in general

But it does swing fast depending on job.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Too much work to have to cut rate. When I quit doing it I was at .38 for a normal strip and wax. ( whatever normal is) I think it might be good to do hourly on the stripping and sq. ft. on the waxing. Hows that for a twist? :)

budonze

Jul 26, 2011
Ontario
Real Name
Neil Barrette
Business Location
United States
I get .15 to .50 sqft in my area. I price lower on higher volume over 5000sq.ft and brand new vct.

matt7

Feb 16, 2011
Alberta
Real Name
Matthew Stephenson
Business Location
United States
$0.38-$0.45 for me on average, if it is super small i go higher, have never gone lower then $0.38 and never will, I'm the only one doing it in my area and do very good quality work so I have yet to do a quote and not get the job.

Jan 16, 2010
Real Name
Tom McManus
Business Location
United States
Blue book for North East shows .38 for strip and wax 1 pass and. 12 for each additional coat. No one here mentions how many coats of wax for the price you quote. Thoughts?

Jan 16, 2010
Real Name
Tom McManus
Business Location
United States
So do you charge for additional coats past the first. Is the .12 for 2nd and 3rd coat what this group charges or what do you do for the SF price you guys are quoting

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Turboman

Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Mark Markovic
Business Location
United States
Wow! in my 24 years in the business I've learned that there's no single answer to that one. Large commercial accounts are in the .04 per sq ft. with auto scrubbers and microfiber speed applicator systems. The other end of the scale well I once charged $12.00 per square foot to strip a tough styrene acrylic with mega layers on the grout of a Mexican saltillo tile. but my average but built up acrylic on salatillo tile is .75 to 1.20 per sq ft. I haven't even addressed regional economy variables to each local market. If you really want to know what to charge just check out your competition by getting a quote on a job you can set up with friend or neighbor. You can't compete with what you don't know.

Above all, you can charge what your skills are worth. Customer confidence in you is what closes the deal. Not what your competition is charging.

Turboman

Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Mark Markovic
Business Location
United States
To quote any job I always do a test strip to see what I'm getting into before I quote. Does the stripper work on the layers (brands and types) that might be on the floor. It's just about time and chemical usage. The $12.00 p/ sq ft took paint stripper to get the hybrid urethane off. So without that pre strip test you're shooting from the hip.

Turboman

Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Mark Markovic
Business Location
United States
I use the turbo-hybrid and truck mount at zero heat to speed stripping along. no scrubbing with a side by side machine if I don't need it. Letting the stripper do its job is merely about keeping the stripper wet and moving not using abrasion. The black stripper pads can get you in trouble since it relies on strong abrasive grit to move the finish... you just don't know when to stop unless you're experienced. Sanding VCT is not the best idea if you don't need to.

Turboman

Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Mark Markovic
Business Location
United States
stripping is the tough part. the application is much easier so I don't get caught up in how many layers to apply I just do it till it has the shine the client wants.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I use a black Malish brush for stripping.
I found cost per sq ft is all over the place.
I bid a job and it came out at $1200. They got 2 other bids, $800 and $1600