What is the best book you've ever read?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Any Bible is beneficial reading. I like one that is easily understood and accurately translated, so the New World Translation.

I read a lot when I was school age. James Joyce's, Portrait of the Artist... was interest and took some thinking to understand. Helped my understand other's thinking on some topics and be more empathetic. Also enjoyed James Harriott veterinarian stories. (Probably misspelled his name.)

Most of my current reading is actually listening to audio books since I drive a lot. Business book like the E-Myth have been helpful. For pleasure, mysteries. I have read or listened to most of Sue Grafton's alphabet series but not X or Y.

Reactions: smart n kleen

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Any Bible is beneficial reading. I like one that is easily understood and accurately translated, so the New World Translation.

I read a lot when I was school age. James Joyce's, Portrait of the Artist... was interest and took some thinking to understand. Helped my understand other's thinking on some topics and be more empathetic. Also enjoyed James Harriott veterinarian stories. (Probably misspelled his name.)

Most of my current reading is actually listening to audio books since I drive a lot. Business book like the E-Myth have been helpful. For pleasure, mysteries. I have read or listened to most of Sue Grafton's alphabet series but not X or Y.
Scott, are you a Jehovah's Witness? Literally like 50% of all carpet cleaners I have ever met are Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, that's how I got into this industry. My step dad is a JW and started his carpet cleaning company 40 years ago. I grew up reading the New World Translation, haha. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the hard surface care and carpet care companies around me are owned by Jehovah's Witnesses.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I believe the Bible is the best book I have ever read and continue to read.

Although I am not a Jehovah witness
I do believe and worship the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. I do believe in the father Jehovah, the son Jesus Christ our savoir, the Lord's Holy spirit.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Dostoevsky, I have read in my time - House of the Dead, The Idiot, Brothers Karamazov. I never read Tolstoy's War and Peace, not because it was daunting but because frankly it was pushed at me by a teacher as "a great read" and I tend to want to find my own path. Instead, I tackled Pamela, by Samuel Richardson (and was rather sorry I did so).

I did, however, pick up and enjoy The Kingdom of God is Within You, and perhaps (just perhaps) it helped to shape who I am today. Oddly enough, so did Ayn Rand's viewpoint on the virtue of selfishness.

As for books turned into movies - even the truly well-done ones (Shawshank) are at best kissing cousins to the written works. I take them as two different creatures and try not to expect one director's vision of a certain story to match my own. Doing so would invariably lead to disappointment.
I confess that I'm not a book friendly anymore( what a regret) I've read some books in three languages and obviously the best experience I had when reading in native language of the author. I'm glad that you and the others mentioned books that I never knew about. I have a lots of catching up to do( deep sigh, but happy one). One of my customers just recently quit book club for a reason that the other girls ( 70 years old) didn't want to read books she brought up. The reality hit me hard. I haven't been member of any book club, ever. I know, it's never late to start to broaden your horizons, so I hope, it's not too late for me. To read, to play forgotten or never learned instruments, to do anything to enlighten myself, not the others. I was hoping that the
" book " thread goes beyond 10 posts and my wish came trough .
Thanks

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I confess that I'm not a book friendly anymore( what a regret) I've read some books in three languages and obviously the best experience I had when reading in native language of the author. I'm glad that you and the others mentioned books that I never knew about. I have a lots of catching up to do( deep sigh, but happy one). One of my customers just recently quit book club for a reason that the other girls ( 70 years old) didn't want to read books she brought up. The reality hit me hard. I haven't been member of any book club, ever. I know, it's never late to start to broaden your horizons, so I hope, it's not too late for me. To read, to play forgotten or never learned instruments, to do anything to enlighten myself, not the others. I was hoping that the
" book " thread goes beyond 10 posts and my wish came trough .
Thanks
“If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.”

We have the capacity to learn every day. What we choose to do with that capacity is up to us. It's never too late... until one simply stops trying.

At 85 years old, my grandfather taught himself how to make stained glass. I have a window-sized family crest that he made just a few years before he died.

(y)

Reactions: Luky

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott, are you a Jehovah's Witness? Literally like 50% of all carpet cleaners I have ever met are Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, that's how I got into this industry. My step dad is a JW and started his carpet cleaning company 40 years ago. I grew up reading the New World Translation, haha. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the hard surface care and carpet care companies around me are owned by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Yes, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I agree that many cleaners (carpet, windows, floors, janitorial, etc.) are JWs. We like to keep things clean.

After 14 years in Utah, I can also testify that there are a lot of carpet cleaners who are LDS, at least in the mountain west area.

Reactions: Tcoulter

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Yes, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I agree that many cleaners (carpet, windows, floors, janitorial, etc.) are JWs. We like to keep things clean.

After 14 years in Utah, I can also testify that there are a lot of carpet cleaners who are LDS, at least in the mountain west area.
Nice! Yeah, I knew you had to be because of the new world translation. I grew up a witness. Whole family is mostly witnesses as well. I am baptized and have been inactive since adulthood. When I read Steve Toburen's articles from Jon Don, I sort of suspected that he is a Jdub as well. Because he referenced missionary work in Haiti or something.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

James Herriot and Walter Farley were staples for me as a child. As an adult, I found Herriot to be just as enchanting as I did when I was little... just in a totally different way, like CS Lewis.

Reactions: Scott W

Charles090

Jan 21, 2021
Real Name
Huiston Phill
I'm not sure, but probably my favorite book is The Master and Margarita, because of its interesting story, biblical motifs, and also because of the themes that are revealed in the work. But I do not read books, I like to solve crossword puzzles. There's something here that I'm a little ashamed of, but I admit that sometimes I can't solve some part of the crossword and have to turn for help to the Internet to solve some point, but for something I learn something new.

Neelio

Sep 20, 2022
Texas
Real Name
John Oneil
I can definitely name the most useful book I've got in prior years : The Practical Guide to Reloading Ammunition by Tom McHale. This little book probably saved me over 5 gran over last few years(I've had old reloading bench and some ammunition components before, but never really got into reloading till late 2019, when all the prices skyrocketed).
Hands down one of the best practical book about reloading!