What is the absolute best upholstery protector? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What is the absolute best upholstery protector?

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
Money is no object. I need the best fabric protector for real high end clients. I deal with a lot of fine, ultra expensive fabrics. I'm currently using Masterblend's Ultimate, but it has changed the color of the fabric a couple of times.

Made New Again

Oct 6, 2010
TX
www.madenewagain.com
Real Name
Blake McCormick
Business Location
United States
I would think Masterblend better than Maxim, but maybe not if that has happened. You talk with them to find out why it removed color? We use Maxim, but just starting to use it....

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
I would think Masterblend better than Maxim, but maybe not if that has happened. You talk with them to find out why it removed color? We use Maxim, but just starting to use it....

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums
Masterblend Ultimate did not remove the color, it just made it a little darker. The interior decorator did not like that. I called Masterblend and they gave me a run around and never got back to me. I'm leaning towards Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc or Cobb's Ultraseal.

the organic cleaner

Apr 16, 2014
California and Central Texas
Real Name
Glenn Stewart
Are you looking for a solvent base or water based protector?
Big difference. I too deal with fine fibers and fabrics on a daily bases. So I do understand your need in a superior product. If you want on the self products either water or solvent based they should be pretty easy to locate. Otherwise there are a few manufactures that make specialty protection products at a very high premium price.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
With the newer regulations for solvent based protectors, some solvent shave become very slow drying and can darken some fabrics. This is one of the reasons to also test in an inconspicuous area.

I suggest Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc. This is water-based and performs very well for natural fibers as well as synthetic fiber upholstery.

Consider offering protector with warranty. This should allow you to get a higher fee from top end clients and give them more peace-of-mind. Then can have the warranty renewed each year (or maybe 18 months) by cleaning and refreshing the protector.

Reactions: kvnbrow900

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
With the newer regulations for solvent based protectors, some solvent shave become very slow drying and can darken some fabrics. This is one of the reasons to also test in an inconspicuous area.

I suggest Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc. This is water-based and performs very well for natural fibers as well as synthetic fiber upholstery.

Consider offering protector with warranty. This should allow you to get a higher fee from top end clients and give them more peace-of-mind. Then can have the warranty renewed each year (or maybe 18 months) by cleaning and refreshing the protector.
I guess no more Bridgepoint Fine Fabric Protector? Man I loved that stuff!!!!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I guess no more Bridgepoint Fine Fabric Protector? Man I loved that stuff!!!!
It is still available in most states but we had to make changes due to regulations in some states. I prefer the water-based version in most situations. If you use the Fine Fabric Protector be sure to test an inconspicuous are first.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Can I use scotchgaurd on upholstery and outdoor pool cushions ?

Classique ChemDry

Aug 29, 2013
Real Name
Classique ChemDry
spot shot is a life-saver! it's not a pretreater, but i've removed all kinds of icky stains with this stuff. it's available everywhere.

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States

Scott, the WATER BASED Maxim Advanced for UWDL is safer and dries faster than solvent based protectors? If it is, that's awesome because I, and my clients, hate the solvent smell and I hate using respirators (scares clients as well....what the heck are you spraying in my house that you need a respirator?) Scott, will Maxim Advanced work on suede? I have a client with sued wall panels and she wants to get them protected. I turned the job down, but I can look like a hero if I can safely use MA.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Scott, the WATER BASED Maxim Advanced for UWDL is safer and dries faster than solvent based protectors? If it is, that's awesome because I, and my clients, hate the solvent smell and I hate using respirators (scares clients as well....what the heck are you spraying in my house that you need a respirator?) Scott, will Maxim Advanced work on suede? I have a client with sued wall panels and she wants to get them protected. I turned the job down, but I can look like a hero if I can safely use MA.
There are some variations from state to state in the solvent based protector to meet a variety of state laws. On deep pile fabrics or if over-applied, the solvents can take as long or longer to dry than water based do.

Suede tends to mat with application of any liquid, so I don't advice protector in every situation. Plus walls are less likely to get spills, foot traffic and such. Wall fabric should not need acid dye resistors to protect against Kool Aid spills. However, you may want to try protector made for Nubuck leather.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I would consider either Advanced with Teflon for the best oil repellency and good repellency of water and dry soils or Maxim for Upholstery (the water-based version) which has better stain protection (from dyes in soft drinks and food) than the Advanced with Teflon.

The Maxim for Upholstery will also dry a little quicker.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
The best I found is FabriCoat. High end furniture stores apply it. The best carpet protector equivalent is Carpet Guard which is essentially the same product

Rather than take everyones word for it, test it out yourself. Thats what we did. You will sell a lot more if YOUR convinced it works.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Very old thread with some good info @Scott W , the only trouble is that is being revived by SPAMMER for a SPAMMING vehicle.
I have to check FabriCoat @mrotto , I must admit that I'm not familiar with this brand.
Now, the question is, do I want to add on more chemistry to variety already presented in presprays, enzymes, solvents reducers, oxidizers , rust removers ( not in exact order) . I'm just being more careful, especially in homes with small children and pets, that's all.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
its made by Guardsman. They may have changed the name of the Upholstery Protector to Fabric Defense..

Guardsman also makes products for wood and leather. I carry their wood crayon set for dings in wood.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Scotch guard aerosol from the can. No contest
Well, first Id have to ask if you tested it against any other brands or if you are taking 3Ms word for it.

Second, Id have to question if you can get an even coating using a can

Third and probably most important is what will the customer (ok, Client) think when they are charged big bucks for an application that they could go to the store and get themselves. Yep, that would make you look good in a million dollar home. I can just see it now... new clean van, big truckmount, door drape, corner guards, floor protection, all the right specialty tools..... and a spray can.

Just sayin.