What is a good water temp and psi? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What is a good water temp and psi?

Just in Water

Nov 8, 2011
Michigan
Real Name
Just in Water
Business Location
United States
I am a new guy in carpet cleaning. Also no old guys to instruct me until classes next year. What is a good temp and psi to run with while cleaning carpets?

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
you want to try to keep a constant 220 to 230 at the MACHINE......by the time it gets to the end of your hose ..pending how long it is...you should be around 215..really..that is all you need...212 will give you steam...if you can keep it constant at the wand..you will be just fine...if you start trying to get bigger numbers you are only pre-maturley wearing out parts that you don't need to and in the end it will cost you extra money.....If you are a high flow cleaner then you will need a heating system that will keep pace with the amount of water going threw the line to keep it hot...

as far as the PSI..I keep mine at about 375..by the time you key the trigger it will probably be about 350...this is more then enough to flush out the carpet and not give it a distortion...and keep from over wetting the carpet.....

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
190º+ ATW and 400-700 PSI depending on flow of wand or rotary that you use.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Depending on the type of carpet, I've used anywhere from 250 psi to 600 psi . Never liked going over 600 though.

Timothy

Aug 14, 2010
KENTUCKY
Real Name
Timothy Jackson
Business Location
United States
Im with Frank on this one, seems like the best bet

Dirtmaster

Jan 28, 2011
FL
Real Name
Damion Raburn
Business Location
United States
240 degrees ..400-500 psi..double dry strokes..:bigsmiley:

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
A good carpet cleaner uses different temps, pressure and wands for all different types of carpet. Best thing to do is try different settings to see what works best for you. One bit of advise... wait until you get the heat to your wand before you start making pressure adjustments.

Jim Martin

Jun 5, 2008
Tucson Arizona
been thinking about this all day...and for the life of me I can not see where anyone would need anything over 350/400 PSI.......

some are say they are hitting the 500 to 700 psi range..someone fill me in here........what are you cleaning that needs so much pressure..even a real nasty one will flush out with 350/400 psi as long as your chemicals are doing there job.....

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Ara had good advice. I usually use lower pressure on olefin, polyester and Triexta than on nylon. About 400 PSI on nylon, 250 PSI on the others. But the soil level make cause me to adjust somewhat.

For most jobs, I like to keep 210 at the truck. Temperature at the wand is around 170. I don't find the extra temp is always needed and I feel safer with no temp high enough to create live steam in the event of a burst hose or other unforeseen event. For the really greasy, oily, dirty carpets, I do increase the temperature to about 230 at the machine.

So my numbers are not far off from Jim Martin.

donaldsodav290

Mar 15, 2010
Real Name
Mark Donaldson
Business Location
Canada
I feel that for longevity and equally good cleaning as any other setup, 500 psi at tuck if you have a coiled tubing heat exchanger or 400psi if you have a shell and tube heat exchanger.

As for temperature, I think it is overrated with the chemistry we have today. 180F at the wand with a good pre-spray and well will tackle almost anything these days. For example a greasy spoon restaurant I saw cleaned the other day was pre-sprayed with a citrus/enzyme/oxi boosted pre-spray and just starting up the machine the wand temp was roughly 130 and it cleaned great, about 15 minutes into the cleaning wand temp was about 200 and it did not clean up any better than 130F however the increased temperature did allow for slightly faster cleaning times. However this is with 4 to the door on a roots 47 with one wand and a good flow rate of 12 at the wand

iluvcarpet2

Jan 4, 2009
idaho
Real Name
matt mitchell
Business Location
United States
We use a butler and are 200+ temp and 300 psi with rotovac 360i.