What if a tenant doesn't pay for the carpet cleaning..?

nogo1024

Jul 17, 2019
Real Name
Ian Choi
Hi there,

I own a carpet cleaning company and have a general question for the customers not paying the bills. When a tenant moves out, they call a carpet cleaning company to get their carpets cleaned according to the lease agreement. And sometimes, a tenant doesn't pay for the bill after they move out. In that case, what do you guys do?

What i do is to find the landlord, which is not easy part, and ask them to pay for it from the security deposit. But often it is refused when the tenant messes up the house and the security deposit is not enough to cover that up.

Is the landlord responsible for the payment and can i file a lien on the property?
Or should i get an information of the tenant from the landlord and make a small claim or something to the tenant directly?

Thanks. :)

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I never cleaned for tenants. If a tenant wanted carpets cleaned i tell them to have the landlord get in touch with me. Most times the landlord has this in their agreement. That the tenants must have carpets cleaned upon moving out. Or yearly whatever. But they dont have a choice over who they can hire. Its the lanlords house so the landlord hires and pays for it. And he/she gets it from the tenant how ever i dont care. I never work direct for tenants.

Justlurking

Mar 9, 2021
Real Name
Just Lurking
We never work for the tenants. We only work for the property manager/owner. If the tenant calls, I tell them to call their property manager or owner and have them call us.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Break window and pump it into the living room.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Hi there,

I own a carpet cleaning company and have a general question for the customers not paying the bills. When a tenant moves out, they call a carpet cleaning company to get their carpets cleaned according to the lease agreement. And sometimes, a tenant doesn't pay for the bill after they move out. In that case, what do you guys do?

What i do is to find the landlord, which is not easy part, and ask them to pay for it from the security deposit. But often it is refused when the tenant messes up the house and the security deposit is not enough to cover that up.

Is the landlord responsible for the payment and can i file a lien on the property?
Or should i get an information of the tenant from the landlord and make a small claim or something to the tenant directly?

Thanks. :)

No the property or the landlord is responsible. Only the person who authorized the work and signed the agreement to work on the invoice.

No you cant place a lien on the property because a tenant called you and hired you.

Sapphire Steamer

Feb 13, 2011
CA
Real Name
Bret Furtado
Business Location
United States
I have never had a landlord call me for move out cleaning, only the tenants. The only time a landlord calls is to redo the tenants carpet cleaning work due to a poor job. I always explain payment is due upon completion same day as the service. and customers can pay through the invoice email if they happen to not be at site.

Only time I had trouble collecting was commercial work from a professional medical company. Original contact's company card wouldn't go through because she didn't have me take their security courses and just hired me for a one room cleaning. Took me six months of periodically calling their corporate office out of state and asking to be transferred to different departments. Finally a regional GM called me and had a check cut.