What gives the carpet cleaning industry a bad name to the public? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

What gives the carpet cleaning industry a bad name to the public?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Though I feel carpet cleaners have gained somewhat of a better name in the recent decade it still persists. What things do you think give our carpet cleaning industry a bad name?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I personally think that it has to do with
inconsistency, unprofessionalism, and
lack of proof of education.

How bad does it look when you go to a doctor and he tells you something later to go to a different doctor and says something completely different.

But in the real word pretty much doctors all agree and that is being on the same page.

As cleaners We are not all on the same page and sadly the majority not even "pretty close".

Not in
customer service,
Honesty,
thoroughness,
education,
and
billing.

If we all just stuck to the same program

we would all look and do very well.

Old saying says

it takes one rotten apples to ruin a basket full.

A lot of "cleaners" ruin it to the ones that are following the standards in service excellence.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I personally think that it has to do with
inconsistency, unprofessionalism, and
lack of proof of education.

How bad does it look when you go to a doctor and he tells you something later to go to a different doctor and says something completely different.

But in the real word pretty much doctors all agree and that is being on the same page.

As cleaners We are not all on the same page and sadly the majority not even "pretty close".

Not in
customer service,
Honesty,
thoroughness,
education,
and
billing.

If we all just stuck to the same program

we would all look and do very well.

Old saying says

it takes one rotten apples to ruin a basket full.

A lot of "cleaners" ruin it to the ones that are following the standards in service excellence.
yeah i agree, it would be nice if we all read off the same page.
Don't hold your breath though.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
poor customer service
poor service in general
quick in and out
upsell pressure

I had a lady call me that had a local carpet store that has a cleaning service division clean her carpet. said that after the cleaning she couldnt tell the difference and her carpet was wet for days.

I went in six days after they cleaned it and couldnt believe it. I should have taken pictures. I remember the very first thing she made a comment on was that I wore a uniform (of all things)

When I was done she said I took three times as long to do the work and it looked like brand new.

But the bottom line is there are less guys like me and more guys like them.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah, its odd how many people simply don't take pride in their work.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
poor customer service
poor service in general
quick in and out
upsell pressure

I had a lady call me that had a local carpet store that has a cleaning service division clean her carpet. said that after the cleaning she couldnt tell the difference and her carpet was wet for days.

I went in six days after they cleaned it and couldnt believe it. I should have taken pictures. I remember the very first thing she made a comment on was that I wore a uniform (of all things)

When I was done she said I took three times as long to do the work and it looked like brand new.

But the bottom line is there are less guys like me and more guys like them.
Yeah those dam quick in and out guys.
And for all the "time is money" guys,
How good of a job can you really do if your quick in and out.
I get the whole "time is money" thing
But if its the difference between doing a good job or not so good job because you won't spend an extra say 20 minutes
then you lose in the end, that customer won't call you back or refer you either.
It's a fine line we have to manage.
I don't start my days with "time is money" mentality
Thats not 1st on my list Quality of work is

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Remember though it’s no less the customers fault either. 90% of the time the first question from them is how much per room. Never the first question being what process do you use to clean.
A good percentage of customers are price driven. Only until the experience a poor job or damage. I’ve always felt it was my job to educate.
Some customers are only complaining about the job they got after they beat the shit outta the guy they hired on his price.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
the real problem is that people get poor workmanship and assume that this is what to expect from all the other cleaners so why should they pay more?

Timothyscarpet

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Apparently the stigma that we are using harsh chemicals and dumping them into the car wash! Haha had a do gooder in the community call us in to the car wash owner whom we already had spoke with about dumping at his car wash. Non the less he doesn't want the heat and reputation so I went right to the source, contacted municipality waste water management and got the go-ahead for dumping into city sewer. Guess we should be educating the public about the safety of our products. Funny thing was the water I was dumping in this instance was recovery from a water heater flood....so essentially this person did no investigation, did not call me first, just reported I was dumping my harsh chemicals in their wash.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
if i called a carpet cleaner into my home who did a poor job i don't think i'd automatically lump all other cleaners into this category and assume they all suck. I wouldn't call the guy who did a bad job back for sure. but i wouldn't take it out on the next guy

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Interesting read and a lot of good points being made. The price point discussion has already been had so I will add to the discussion that our appearance can and does set the tone for what the customer thinks of us.

If people see us driving down the road, walking through a store, or whatever their experience is with us and we look ragged, dirty, and generally unkept, immediately a negative impression is made. Justified or not, it happens.

We bash on SS and other franchises but they put a lot of research into customer perceptions. Clean techs, clean vans, and a professional attitude all go a long way. They haven't been around for so long by slacking. We might not agree with all their methods. There are bad franchises too. However, we can and should learn from them. Let them spend the money to "invent the wheel". We can utilize the "wheel" for our own use.

Also, the old adage about a customer having a bad experience and they tell 10 people vs a good experience and telling 1. Each customer we interact with must be the most important person at that moment. Treat them as #1 and they will return plus tell at least 1.

There will always be splash and dash and high-pressure upsellers. The industry is fairly cheap to get into which makes it a perfect candidate for abuse.

We are the professionals. We need to carry ourselves that way. Educate and inform our clients. Show that we are knowledgeable and care about their experience. We do this for ourselves and also for our industry. The bad apple can tear us down but it's up to ALL of us to uphold the value and integrity of our profession.

Reactions: Timothyscarpet

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
In my market the biggest issue I have with Stanley is the fact they use an alkaline rinse as their cleaning method. Splash n Dash then gone. I wonder if other franchises do this?

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
# 1 t - shirt / jeans ( general rat nasty appearance ).
# 2 We don’t “bait & switch” adds ( are you kidding me )
# 3 Lack of ( or unwillingness to perform ), the proper procedures for cleaning / restoration.

Reactions: kevinj6121

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
# 1 t - shirt / jeans ( general rat nasty appearance ).
# 2 We don’t “bait & switch” adds ( are you kidding me )
# 3 Lack of ( or unwillingness to perform ), the proper procedures for cleaning / restoration.
Yup, absolutely
You cannot show up looking like a bum, your appearance does matter
Never do the bait & switch BS
Always perform the proper procedures
I'd like to think that people are better off calling an owner/operator
because who cares more about the success of the business then the owner right.
That should be the case you'd think, unfortunately that is not always the case