What do you say when your clients ask...

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I tell them that the heavily trafficked areas will take the longest to dry because we made more cleaning passes on them. Areas that required subsurface enzyme treatments take longer to dry. I tell them 4 to 6 hours to dry and I mention that the first room I cleaned is already close to dry. I always check the first room at the end of the job to get an idea. I need a script because it does sound like a "guess" when you answer because there are other factors that come to play. To be more exact you will need the temperature and relative humidity readings of inside and outside to give a more specific answer.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
In all seriousness, no service provider can guarantee that whole cleaned area gets dry in 2, 4, 6 or more ours. It all depends on level of soil , different methods of putting down prespray, , amount of cfm and lift employed, number of dry strokes, etc, etc. On breezy day with humidity levels being on down side with little help from air movers, drying time may be as low as 2-3 hours. Some of you, experts, claimed less then 2 hours and I'm not going to dispute it . With lightly soiled carpet and use of moderately powerful air movers and ideal routes for forced air being able to escape, carpet can be dry in one hour or less. I bring the topic of drying time before customer does . I don't do paper towel test, but I ask custy to touch carpet with back of their hand. If their hand feels cold, but there is no sign of moisture , we're going in good direction and carpet will dry soon, staying plump and soft.
Safe answer though is between 8 to 24 hours. If you're diligent and are interested in building long term business relationship with your clientele, you'll call next day and get briefed on situation with carpet anyway.
Would be nice to hear from others about their experience and opinions on this topic, since this is sometime breaking point in operation of new businesses.
Just recently I was referred by my long term account to a landlord, who was delighted to see floor coverings, corner buddies, shoe covers on my feet, crb, orbital tool and air mover in each and every room. Even though I wasn't satisfied with outcome, ( carpet was heavily soiled, neglected and developed matted down and burned traffic lines) to the landlord lady it was more than satisfactory results. What matter to her most that carpet was barely damp when I was leaving. To me all that is standard, it takes times, determination and lot of patience to implement all steps needed and sometimes financial outcome won't match the time spent on the
" project " , but in the end of the day you're the man / women with " super powers "

Reactions: mrotto

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
With down draft air mover in the room you can have it dry in less than 1 hour.

If you soak the room with pre spray like your pressure washing, dont agitate, hold the trigger down forward and back passes, run too high of flow with a weak machine and dont use air movers.... then your looking at 24hrs probably maybe more

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Some time this evening I say if it’s a morning job.......I done get into the hours thing. No one ever asks how many hours it will take. Better to be vague. I just tell them to play it by ear when to put some of the items they moved back. I advise to dig they’re fingers into the pile down to the backing or press a paper towel into it.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I tell them as long as they have the ac on it will dry in 4-6 hours, this way I know I am getting a house with an ac on on these hot days, you won't believe how many people have turned off their ac. They rather open their windows.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
sometimes I will size up the customer and if I think they can take a joke, I will say *the carpet should be dry in 3 to 4 (long pause) ................weeks* That kinda breaks the ice and then I go into details about air flow (ceiling, box fans etc) will cut the drying time dramatically, etc