Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What are some things you do to retain clients?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Easy. Treat every sale like you want to be treated. Talk to them honestly and genuinely, selling them exactly what they need. Trust sells huge time, only if you mean it though.
Agree.

You shared somewhat recently your views on carpet protector. (only nylons really needing it I believe was the sentiment) So how often do you ask for or encourage the customer to consider having carpet protected after cleaning.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
So how often do you ask for or encourage the customer to consider having carpet protected after cleaning.
I just use the Carpet Manufacturers warranty info: most specify every 12 or 18 months. Which just happens to be what 55% of my customers cleaning intervals.

The question then becomes, If 55% of your customers have their carpet cleaned every 18 months, how many customers do you need to stay busy? Then market for that number. You will find that you can be more selective in who you market to.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Lol that's funny because me and my business partner argue about that now, whether we should sell protectant to people with polyester or not...

Reactions: Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Lol that's funny because me and my business partner argue about that now, whether we should sell protectant to people with polyester or not...
Serious question. Why might we might not offer it on polyester? (or olefin for that matter?)

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
There is a highly technical answer to this but the bottom line is they aren't very effective on polyester.

I've tried every protectant I could find on carpet samples for Polyester and it really didn't give enough benefit - the old saying holds true

Polyester wears out before it uglies out
Nylon uglies out before it wears out

Reactions: Dedicated

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
There is a highly technical answer to this but the bottom line is they aren't very effective on polyester.

I've tried every protectant I could find on carpet samples for Polyester and it really didn't give enough benefit - the old saying holds true

Polyester wears out before it uglies out
Nylon uglies out before it wears out
interesting. Thats a new one for me but I think I can understand the sense in that.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
interesting. Thats a new one for me but I think I can understand the sense in that.
Maybe protector slows the wear process on polyester?

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I clean for a couple where the husband owns a printing company. Not your corner printing company, its huge. The first time I was there to give a quote, he drove me around the plant in a golf cart! He really knew his chemicals - one of the more intelligent people I have ever met.

Anyway after cleaning his home for a few years, he asked me to do a quote on cleaning the offices at his plant. 100% solution dyed olefin. He said the last cleaner tried to upsell him on protector. Thats when he switched to using my services.

As a sidenote they have a cork board where they have square notes pinned on it. Must be 30 feet long. My guess was that it is their project board. Every single note is perfectly in line vertically and horizontally. Remember, these are pinned on the board by hand! The place is spotless. Every car in the parking lot faced North - no kidding.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Carpet protector and grout sealer I treat about the same. I ask every customer if they want it. If they say yes, I add it. If no, I leave it. If they say no and there's specific areas that would benefit from it (usually hallways/traffic lanes for cp and bathroom grout) I explain and ask again. After that it's all up to them.

Dec 2, 2019
Real Name
Window Cleaning Dublin
Be good at what you do. People expect quality. Be nice. You do not need to be a robot. Have a chat with the customer, do something small for free. Compliment ladies on how clean the house is. You are in for a win

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
If you look at Polyester under a microscope it is very thin, does not have large dye pockets (if any) and is the least absorbent of the fibers. This is why protectants do not help much on Polyester.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Be good at what you do. People expect quality. Be nice. You do not need to be a robot. Have a chat with the customer, do something small for free. Compliment ladies on how clean the house is. You are in for a win
So true and yet so rare. I think 1/2 cleaners in US do this for cigarette and beer money.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I do a good job. Try to do a great job and don’t cut corners for a fair price. That’s more than most rug scrubbers so that should be enough. If it ain’t I don’t want them as a customer. Been doing this too long to be licking boots.

Reactions: Dedicated

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I do a good job. Try to do a great job and don’t cut corners for a fair price. That’s more than most rug scrubbers so that should be enough. If it ain’t I don’t want them as a customer. Been doing this too long to be licking boots.
I haven’t been doing this very long and I still agree with you.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So is a “good job” enough to retain clients long term?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
So is a “good job” enough to retain clients long term?
For me yes, it has proven to be enough. It's starts with the intial phone call. I setup the appointment to measure and if the price is in their budget to do it right then with this phrase following immediately "you are under no pressure to buy from me, I live by a budget just like everyone if we aren't a good fit it's totally ok". I make sure I find out their needs and problem areas on the call and let them know there are options, most importantly I try to set them at ease on the phone and in person. Not everyone will like you, but I believe if they trust you right away and like you even a little bit things always go according to Hoyle.

Knocking it out of the park when you get the job is a given, but letting them know if they have any issues to call me and they aren't going to hurt my feelings if they have a small issue and not to just live with it. Only after I know that they are thrilled about what the intial contact service was about do I mention other services. I typically don't have time for add ons and if they are interested in something else no matter what my schedule says I don't rebook them for at least 2 weeks because I am sooo booked (nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd) and book the second visit right then. I give them a couple business cards and tell them that we are a small firm and we won't be emailing or mailing you all kinds of stuff, just reach out when you need us. Most say no problem I get enough junk email as it is. On the second visit I will tell them we rely mainly on referrals and inquire if they could us at work as well and who is the best person to speak to at work and get their name and either number or best place and time to catch them at work in person for commercial cleaning. Simply asking the folks who like you and your service for referrals is easy and works great. I'm also not afraid to fire customers, chronic last minute reschedulers or chiselers are first to go.