What do you charge for a spot

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Travis Teague, Sep 13, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Travis Teague

Travis Teague Active Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -0
    What do you charge an existing customers for a spot. So the carpet is clean, you cleaned it a month ago and then the puppy has diarrhea. Your just going back to knock out a new spot.
    Do you still charge your minimum?

2. M4sT3R T3CH

M4sT3R T3CH Active Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Carpet Tech
    Topeka
    Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -0
    I usually do charge my minimum just because even though its just a spot by the time you set up and talk to client your out at least 30 mins. Now if this client has a history of lots of referrals then give em a break. Your the captain of your ship.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,410 / 58 / -0
    I charge my minimum. Sometimes if it's a good customer I'll cut it down to $75 but I let them know it's less than my minimum charge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sierra Clean Care

Sierra Clean Care Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,094 / 6 / -0
    Does a plumber give you a break if he comes and changes one washer on your tap? Does an electrician give you a break if he comes and changes a light bulb?....... you get the picture...... it's this mentality that drives customers to think, ( oh, it's just one spot, he'll come out for 20-30$). THIS IS A TRADE LIKE ANY OTHER. SO, DO NOT SHORT CHANGE YOUR SELF, AND BETTER YET, DO YOUR PART TO NOT FOOK OVER THE INDUSTRY.....Do you think the guys on other forums, in other industries ask their fellow tradesman that very question? Think about that one for a minute.....

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Travis Teague

Travis Teague Active Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with not forking over the industry. Every time I see $99 for whole house it pisses me off. But will you drive to a customer house to give a free estimate? What if they don't Hire you? So we will drive to someone's house for free spend 30 minutes talking it up but for a repeat customer with a spot hit them with a $100 charge. I'm not sure what the correct answer is. Just had 2 spot calls today both from repeat customers. I was not sure what to charge.

6. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +3,072 / 39 / -0
    Charge your minimum charge. If it's too much then they don't want the stain gone bad enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sierra Clean Care

Sierra Clean Care Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,094 / 6 / -0
    My close rate for doing estimates is nearly 100%. I NEVER go do an estimate on '2 rooms and a hall'.... if someone phones my office, and says they have a 6500 sqft house, and it's mostly carpeted, and the rest tile, you can be damn sure I go do an estimate. That way, it gives me a chance to show and educate the client as to why our company is the one to do the work. I just did one 2 days ago, the lady booked on the spot. I quoted her 1650$ for the work...... you gotta sell yourself. The only time I give a client a break on our minimum, is if it is close to the office, and the person is elderly......

• Like Like x 2
  8. Harry Mullett

Premium VIP

Dec 29, 2009
    Idaho
    Ratings:
    +4,075 / 23 / -4
    You need to charge enough to discourage the customer from calling every few weeks with a "spot". Or you will find yourself going out frequently and "spot cleaning" for people and they basically have a always clean carpet because they manipulated your generosity.

Plus I find myself cleaning more area then just the soiled spot. Usually I clean the whole room the spot is in plus the path to the door where my hoses laid. Just to make sure everything is pristine when I leave. So not really such a thing as "spot cleaning" only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,239 / 11 / -1
    Some companies offer a "Stay Clean" or "Always Beautiful" service or something similar.

This keeps the customer as yours and gives you an even income gives them service when needed.

As an example if the initial cleaning was $250, they pay for the initial cleaning and they pay 10% per month after that or $25. That is a small charge that can be pretty easy to sell.
    • Up to one time per month they can have a spot or spill removed at no additional charge. (Not normal traffic). Statistically only about 3% of customers will ever call even once.
    • After 6 months they get traffic lanes cleaned. This is included in the $25 charge. These visits for traffic lane cleaning or spot removal are good opportunities to add extra services like tile cleaning or upholstery cleaning.
    • One year later the whole cleaning is already paid in advance.
    Under such a plan, they have paid $300 over the year. Maybe they had a spot call, but most won't.
    They got a traffic area cleaning that is usually an easy job.
    You are assured of the customer year after year.

The plan can also include protector.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,239 / 11 / -1
    For customers who were not on the Stay Clean plan, I always left a bottle of of my customized spotter behind. They could take out most of their own spots and stains. I or someone on the desk was always available to give instructions on spot and stain removal if needed.

If they could not remove by themselves, I would do spotting within 30 days after cleaning when I was in their area and had time. No charge. It was on my schedule. If I had to work around their schedule, I charged for it.

A good reason to have a small spotting extractor, 10" Brush Pro or some easy to set-up equipment that could even be in the car. Then I did not have to take a truck out of service or spend 30 minutes setting up, connecting to water, pulling hoses and so forth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tater

Tater Active Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Ratings:
    +250 / 1 / -0
    I have a minimum its based on an initial hour to set up and break down. That is the minimum I need to make money on the job. Who can pay for gas, van depreciation, insurance, time, and solution cost, continuing education, phone, and then ya know profit, by charging less than a minimum to go out to any job? If a customer has a bad spot they are paying me and my experience to treat it. IMO spot removing is a specialty service and should be charged as such, which is actually MORE than my standard fee. If not then Im better off just generally cleaning carpet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mrotto

mrotto Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Just did this for a customer a couple days ago. Cleaned her carpet two weeks ago and cat ate something nasty and threw up all the way down the hall. To make matters worse, guests were coming over the next day.
    Went over and all I really had to do was rinse - no prespray or pile lift because the carpet was clean. no charge but she gave me $30 anyway.

I took into account that she is a referral generator and I will make up much more than what I would have charged her on the jobs she refers. Plus I know that this is a one time deal - this is the first time she called on a spot in over 10 years.

So my answer is, do what you think is right. Would I do the same for every one of my customers, no. I just think long term.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1